Team-BHP - Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/82131-wanted-walk-down-memory-lane-but-walked-beach-instead.html)

Going to Manipal had been brewing for some time amongst me and wifey and finally it was decided to visit our alma maters on the 15th / 16th weekend. Background of the route planning et al can be found on this thread ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...d-nh-17-a.html )

The plan was very simple

14th May : Depart Hyderabad 0200 Hrs
14th May : Arrive Hampi 0800 Hrs
14th May : Depart Hampi 1000 Hrs
14th May : Arrive Manipal 2000 Hrs via route shown above
14th May : Night Stay Manipal
15th May : Night Stay Manipal
16th May : Depart Manipal 0600 Hrs
16th May : Arrive Gokarna 1600 Hrs with lunch stop @ Shetty's Lunch Home, Kundapura
17th May : Depart Gokarna 0500 Hrs
17th May : Arrive Hyderabad 2000 Hrs

But as it goes with all plans, this one also didn’t go as planned.

Here are the few teasers from the trip!
Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-p5150113.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-p5150142.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-p5160099.jpg

Last pic of om beach?

bring more and fast.

Btw, hows road condition between manipal and gokarna?:D

Hmmm.. The travelogue finally starts! :D

Now, keep updating the thread real fast and with great pictures.
Om beach is very inviting! :)

Route queries over and now the TL starts?
The beach looks very nice but also looks dark? Was it raining?

Went through route planning thread recently and it was a fun read.
Waiting for the travelogue to complete, now that you have started it.
Can I get to see TAPMI also with MIT ??

Both me & wifey had taken the Friday off and the plan was to start no later than 2 AM from Hyderabad. But Murphy had to raise its ugly head and Bidisha came home feeling unwell. Departure was pushed to 4am to get some rest. As it happens before any long drive, I slept only in fits to finally wake up at 2am to pack my luggage. Finally we were ready to roll at 0405 Hrs.
Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-img_2735.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-img_2736.jpg

After lots of discussion, the route decided was Hyderabad – Mahbubnagar – Raichur – Gangawati – Hospet - Hagaribomannahalli – Harihar – Shimoga – Tirthahalli – Agumbe – Hebri – Perdur – Manipal. Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India to Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India - Google Maps

We hit the NH7 section between Shamshabad to Jadcherla at 4.30 and with a small power nap break were at Mahbub Nagar at 6.15 am. The SH13 between Mahbub Nagar & Raichur is in good shape except the bridge over Krishna River at the border. We were finally at Raichur at 8.20 am and had a quick freshening up at Hotel Nripatunga. The 100 odd kms to Gangawati was smooth sailing and we reached at 10.30 am. I had done this stretch in Jan 2009 and the road quality seem to worsened from then but still can sustain 100+ speeds in a small car. Only thing is this stretch has too many rumble strips making it annoying after sometime.

We were guided at Gangawati to go thru Kampli & Kamalapur to Hospet as the road thru Anegundi was bad. The Gangawati – Kampli section is single lane road and after Kampli the road extension is going on making it difficult for small cars to drive this route. The terrain becomes totally rocky as one approaches Kamalapur / Hampi.
Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-img_2750.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-img_2755.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-img_2764.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-img_2773.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-img_2776.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-img_2783.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-p5140097.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-p5140098.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-p5140099.jpg

Finally we reached Hospet at about 11.45 am and decided to head to Hotel Malligi. This is a good 3 / 4 star hotel with swimming pool and restaurant and because of its proximity to Hampi can be a staying alternate. We were famished as we hadn’t had breakfast but the restaurant serves lunch only between 12.30 & 3.00 PM, we had to walk out empty stomach.

Oh Yes this is what I saw at the Hotel Parking!
Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-p5140107.jpg

Two Black Storms:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 1902221)
Route queries over and now the TL starts?
The beach looks very nice but also looks dark? Was it raining?

No there was no rain but the temperature with the sun was around 30-32 Degrees

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordmanchau (Post 1902226)
Went through route planning thread recently and it was a fun read.
Waiting for the travelogue to complete, now that you have started it.
Can I get to see TAPMI also with MIT ??

The second Picture is the new TAPMI Campus!

Finally its happening. Bring it on man !

The new TAPMI campus looks pretty inviting. From the picture it looks as if its beach facing.

Do we also get to see/read chronological order or some details of the "7" that you completed during this entire trip?:p

good one ani boy! :thumbs up

Nice start MC. Waiting for more details and pics.

So it finally starts!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 1902229)
We were famished as we hadn’t had breakfast but the restaurant serves lunch only between 12.30 & 3.00 PM, we had to walk out empty stomach.

Oh boy, there is no decent restaurant between Hospet and Shimoga... where did you eat then?

Hooray! MC finally writes a travelogue. First time viewing for me.
More visuals please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1902469)
So it finally starts!

Oh boy, there is no decent restaurant between Hospet and Shimoga... where did you eat then?

I read there is a new Kamat Upachar?
Is it at Chitradurga?

After coming out of Hotel Malligi, we searched for some decent restaurant in Hospet but couldn’t find one. So it was decided to look out for a Dhaba on the highway for a spot of lunch, but as luck would have it didn’t see a single one before the turn-off onto SH25. The NH-13 from Hospet till the turn-off is in bad state and with empty dumpers; it’s a perpetual death trap.
Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-p5140110.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-p5140113.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-p5140115.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-p5140119.jpg

The SH25 is a smooth road interspersed with bumpers that can really get to one’s nerve.
Name:  P5140126.JPG
Views: 1631
Size:  147.6 KB

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-p5140127.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-p5140129.jpg

Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!-p5140133.jpg

Anyway we were finally able to locate a small but clean restaurant exactly opposite the new Bus Stop. This is were we had our first scary incident of the day.

While we were having lunch in the restaurant the Storm was parked in the infront of the adjacent shop which happened to be a Coke / Pepsi distribution point and was closed. All of a sudden, while we were eating a few people start shouting whose is the Black Bolero. I stand up and they tell me that few guys on a Pulsar had stopped over and were trying to fiddle with the car. One of them came down with me and showed me the scratch mark on rear door and while another one handed me the bike number. They wanted me to go to the Police Station and lodge a complaint. I was totally confused and a bit scared as well because the SH25 in the afternoon was totally empty and the conditions for vehicle snatching were very conducive also. We left the place after having eaten half the lunch and were contemplating what to do when one of the guys who wanted us to take him to the Police Station as well told us the guys went towards town. That was it! I rolled up the windows and turned the car in the direction we were headed (away from town) and zoomed off.

Attempted robbery! Try finding out whether the vehicle registration of the bike is existing. It could have been a ploy to plant a theif with a weapon in the name of helping you reach the police station, giving fictitious bike number stuff.