Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 15:46   #1
BHPian

Half day trip from Pune to Nighoj (Potholes)

Half day trip from Pune to Nighoj (Potholes)-nighoj_potholes_kund_ghod_river_gorge_18.jpg
Half day trip from Pune to Nighoj (Potholes)-nighoj_potholes_kund_ghod_river_gorge_11.jpg
Nighoj is just-like-any-other village on the interior roads. The tourists coming to this village are not interested in the village, but in a riverbed 3 kms away from the village. The river kukadi flows near the village. At one particular point , near a temple , the river forms a deep canyon which has resulted in huge pothole like structures carved in the rockbeds because of the natural erosive action of the water and the rocks carried by the river.
Half day trip from Pune to Nighoj (Potholes)-nighoj_potholes_kund_ghod_river_gorge_05.jpg
Summer is the best time to see these potholes as the water level goes down in the river. But i am sure that it will be equally impressive in early winter with many mini-waterfalls forming between the potholes. Have to plan a visit sometime in June/July for this.
Half day trip from Pune to Nighoj (Potholes)-nighoj_potholes_kund_ghod_river_gorge_08.jpg
My daughter, Akshara seemed to like the place a lot and wanted to play in the smaller potholes. In fact, in the first pic in this post, we had to watch our step and take care in getting to that place as there were deep crevasses on either side. But, Akshara was not satisfied with this location and kept on mentioning “keezha” (”down”) asking us to take her further down!
Name:  nighoj_potholes_kund_ghod_river_gorge_10.JPG
Views: 9937
Size:  60.0 KB
Half day trip from Pune to Nighoj (Potholes)-nighoj_potholes_kund_ghod_river_gorge_13.jpg
On the nagar road, reach Shirur, turn left towards Nighoj (another 18-20 kms). Then a further 3 kms from the village towards the river will take you to the spot. I was there at around 4.30 pm and the sun was still high up in the sky. So, the photos are not so good and don't reflect the actual beauty of the place. Visit in the early mornings or late evenings for the best sights.
Half day trip from Pune to Nighoj (Potholes)-nighoj_potholes_kund_ghod_river_gorge_16.jpg
More photos here.
Old 24th May 2010, 16:14   #2
BHPian

Please post location map and the route to take.
Old 24th May 2010, 16:16   #3
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Excellent find! Amazing landscapes. I believe the river would swell up during monsoons, making the place more alluring.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:13   #4
BHPian

Nighoj is around 80 kms away from Pune. You have to travel on the Ahmadnagar road towards Ahmadnagar, reach a town called Shirur. From there, you have to turn left (if you are coming from Pune), travel inroad for around 20 kms (The road is good enough). On reaching the village, if you ask around for Kund (potholes), the villagers will guide you to the river.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:32   #5
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarams View Post
Nighoj is around 80 kms away from Pune. You have to travel on the Ahmadnagar road towards Ahmadnagar, reach a town called Shirur. From there, you have to turn left (if you are coming from Pune), travel inroad for around 20 kms (The road is good enough). On reaching the village, if you ask around for Kund (potholes), the villagers will guide you to the river.
Incidentally, having travelled past Shirur, you should have taken a detour on your way back. From shirur, if you take the route to malthan and proceed a bit further from malthan, you reach a place called chincholi morachi. There are thousands of peacocks there that just roam around freely.
Your daughter would have enjoyed it a lot. Best time to go is when the clouds gather over head. You may get to catch the plumes in full glory.
So the next time you do plan this stretch, keep in mind chincholi morachi.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:42   #6

Excellent place to visit. Being new to Pune, I am finding some really good ideas for weekend trips.
Those rocks must have been really hot to sit on as its summer now. Also please let us know any good restaurants you found nearby. That would be really helpful when I go there.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:20   #7
BHPian

MX6: I went to Morachi Chincholi a few months earlier. Will post photos from that trip soon. Have to go again in early monsoon to catch the peacocks in "full bloom"

goWaggy: Nihgoj might not have any notable restaurants. But, you have many big towns like Shirur, Shikrapur, Ranjangaon within a 30-40 min drive from this place. So, you should be able to find decent restaurants there.
By the way, there is one shop next to this river in Nighoj (which mainly sells puja items for the temple next to the river) where the only drink available is Pepsi. We asked the shopkeeper about this and he said that Pepsi is the only soft drink which sells there!
Old 25th May 2010, 17:23   #8
BHPian

Very nice pics and place.

I have been to Morachi chincholi around 4 years back. But missed out on nighoj as I was unaware of this place :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks