Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 19:26   #1
BHPian

Where to eat at Yercaud

There are quite a few detailed travelogues on Yercaud here so I didn’t want to repeat. We just returned from our weekend trip and I thought Yercaud has its limitations when it comes to options for food.

I’m not the kind who plans a weekend getaway much in advance. Like most BHPians, the drive is more important for me than the destination. Usually its decided 1 or 2 days prior. Needless to say, all decent known hotels and resorts are already booked by then. This time was no different. We finally managed to get a cottage run by a colleague’s friend. This place was nice, more like a homestay but separated from their own house. It had a small living room, dining room, kitchen and a huge bedroom. It has an old world charm with the interiors being done up that way.

We had a tough time for food though. Unfortunately, the resident cook at our cottage was not available during our trip so we had to either prepare food at the kitchen or eat out. My wife was in no mood to cook for obvious reasons so we decided to eat out.

The only good restaurant we found in yercaud is Hotel Shevroys. They have two restaurants – one chinese and another multi-cuisine. Parking here is a big challenge especially during weekends. They don’t have sufficient parking space for guests staying there let alone people coming to restaurants. But the food is just great. Though the Chinese restaurant was average, south Indian dishes at the multi-cuisine restaurant were awesome and reasonably priced.

For breakfast or a light dinner, Hotel Malar (adjacent to Shevroys) is a good option. It’s a nice vegetarian south Indian restaurant. Dosas were good.

We also tried Hotel Muruga Bhavan, near the bus stand area. This is one hotel you should avoid. Buy 1 biriyani and 1 teaspoon full stones free! Of course, mixed with the rice and I’m not exaggerating here. We had food from here only because this was the closest to our cottage and we were late for lunch on Day 1.

We couldn’t try the restaurant in Hotel Grand Palace but I heard the food is just average there. I’d like to hear from others who’ve tried here. I’d also request others to contribute with details of other hotels serving great food.

My overall feedback on Yercaud: good place to just relax and stay wherever you are booked. Nothing much to do venturing out anyways. Then why did I go there? Obviously for the drive from Bangalore on NH7 and the well maintained road from Salem to Yercaud.

Signing off with few pics of the cottage.
Attached Thumbnails
Where to eat at Yercaud-dsc00668.jpg  

Where to eat at Yercaud-dsc00670.jpg  

Where to eat at Yercaud-dsc00672.jpg  

Where to eat at Yercaud-dsc00687.jpg  

Old 24th May 2010, 19:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

How is the at GRT Nature trails?
Did you try anything there? Supposed to be good but costly.
Old 24th May 2010, 19:40   #3
BHPian

Havent tried GRT. I'm also keen to know from someone who's had food here.
Old 24th May 2010, 22:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

I stayed at Shevaroy's in Yercaud and ordered food from their restaurant. Food was nice and cheap, but the portion size was little less IMO. For dinner we went to restaurant at the GRT Sky Rocca hotel. The service part was pathetic, but food was average to good, nothing out of ordinary and it's even costlier.But it's a must go just for the sky walk experience and the view that it gives of salem city in night.
We didn't eat anywhere else, so just can give opinion of this two place.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:34   #5
BHPian

Hotel Shevroys is the best option. They have both chinese and indian cuisines.
We tried lunch & dinner during late hours. And they were ready to serve. The service was also fast. For breakfast, best option is Hotel malar just beside Shevroys.

No other place is decent. Other highend hotels are very costly.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:11   #6
BHPian

Going slightly off-topic here, what is a good place to stay in Yercaud. I'm planning a weekend trip to Yercaud next month. Reviews on internet are all over the place with no clear conclusion. My budget is around 2K per day.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Going slightly off-topic here, what is a good place to stay in Yercaud. I'm planning a weekend trip to Yercaud next month. Reviews on internet are all over the place with no clear conclusion. My budget is around 2K per day.
2k per day is a good budget to stay in Yercaud.
Try the Grange resort first.Their rate is 1650 per day.Look out for the photos I have put in my travelogue -"hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud"
Other option is Shevaroy's hotel, very decent place to stay, their deluxe rooms is for around 1400/- per day. Others like, Sky Rocca hotel and Lake view resort is upwards of 3k per day.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:20   #8
BHPian

I was also at Yercaud this weekend (22nd and 23rd May 2010). My first visit to Yercaud. Nice place for a short weekend getaway from Bangalore. I did not book rooms in advance and found most of the places were booked. Finally found nice rooms at STAR HOLIDAYS INC. HILL RESORTS. Its away from the main roads and situated close to the lake in a peaceful place.After hearing good reviews about food at the Multi Cuisine Restuarant at Hotel Shevroys, we decided to have lunch. Though the food is good and pricey, its a bad idea to visit this restaurant during weekends. The place was crowded and no place for parking. We could not have lunch peacefully with people standing near the table to occupy inside the restaurant.Finally we had dinner at the hotel restaurant we were staying at. Was good and resonably priced. No crowds like Hotel Shevroys. The breakfast next day at this hotel was also good.Snacks (Onion, Mirchi Bajji with hot tea/coffee) along yercaud Lake is also good.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

During my stay in Yercaud, I found Hotel Grand palace a good place to stay with decent food, their carrot halwa was too good to stop at one serving.

You can check my travelogue for the details.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
I was also at Yercaud this weekend (22nd and 23rd May 2010). My first visit to Yercaud. Nice place for a short weekend getaway from Bangalore. I did not book rooms in advance and found most of the places were booked. Finally found nice rooms at STAR HOLIDAYS INC. HILL RESORTS. Its away from the main roads and situated close to the lake in a peaceful place.After hearing good reviews about food at the Multi Cuisine Restuarant at Hotel Shevroys, we decided to have lunch. Though the food is good and pricey, its a bad idea to visit this restaurant during weekends. The place was crowded and no place for parking. We could not have lunch peacefully with people standing near the table to occupy inside the restaurant.Finally we had dinner at the hotel restaurant we were staying at. Was good and resonably priced. No crowds like Hotel Shevroys. The breakfast next day at this hotel was also good.Snacks (Onion, Mirchi Bajji with hot tea/coffee) along yercaud Lake is also good.
Parking is defenitely an issue at Shevroy's unless you reach there for lunch before 12.30pm like we did on our Day 2. By the time we finished lunch, the restaurant was fully crowded and we had some people standing near our table and waiting for us to get up. But then, the tasty food might help you ignore these nuances. Good to know that food at STAR HOLIDAYS INC. HILL RESORTS is nice. Is this a multi-cuisine restaurant?

What about GRT? anyone who's had food here?
Old 25th May 2010, 14:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
During my stay in Yercaud, I found Hotel Grand palace a good place to stay with decent food, their carrot halwa was too good to stop at one serving.

You can check my travelogue for the details.
I had stayed in Grand Palace and had a horrible experience on my confirmed bookings, rooms quality, front desk staff etc etc.. But that is all a different story

Food - I remember it was tasty, but pricy, small portions and sloppy service. They had a big list in the menu, but hardly anything used to be available.

Any how this is one place I will keep away from but that is because of reasons mentioned first and not the food.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

Yercaud has really become crowded with folks coming from all over the place. They also litter the area !
Sometime one just feels, one should not have gone there.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

GRT food was very good, and overall very good experience. Went about 2yrs ago.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:30   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
GRT food was very good, and overall very good experience. Went about 2yrs ago.
My summary is : It may be a good place for food. But from a room-rent point of view, is very costly.

Though I have never been to this place.
Old 25th May 2010, 18:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

The Lake Forest - has a very good restaurant. The property belongs to Club Mahindra.

Shevaroys - was ok.

Last edited by laluks : 25th May 2010 at 18:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks