Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2010, 22:15   #1
BHPian

At Muzhappilangad drive-in beach

Though I have driven to Kerala and back from Mangalore a number of times in the past, it was only in Jan 2010 that I decided to have a look at this famous drive-in beach at Muzhappilangad.

The beach exceeded my expectations - it was such a long and wide turf of hard sand, washed by the surf, providing a driving enthusiast with the unique opportunity of driving right on the edge where land meets water. I raced around a bit, occasionally steering into the surf and splashing water around. It was one heck of an experience.

On the negative side, salt water doesn't do very good to your car. The splashed water left salt deposits on the paint, which was kind of stubborn after it dried, and I had a difficult time cleaning up the salt with the bottled mineral water I had with me in the car. However, you can't wash the underside of the car; so I had the car serviced after a couple of days.

And you just can't rule out the possibility of your car getting stuck in the wet stand, as there are no guarantors for driveability here. The fun as well as the risk is yours.

The beach can be reached by taking the left diversion from NH17 after you cross a bridge on your way from Thalassery to Kannur. There is a sign board, so you won't miss if you are careful. One has to drive through coconut groves on a narrow road (excellent views of the beach and riverfront on the way) for about 1.5 km and suddenly you emerge out of the grove onto the beach. You can drive about 4-5 km on the beach and then rejoin the highway near Pudukkad.

I didn't take photos on the approach road, but I have some pics and a video of my drive on the beach. Enjoy..

First the photos..

At Muzhappilangad drive-in beach-img_4979.jpg

At Muzhappilangad drive-in beach-img_4981.jpg

At Muzhappilangad drive-in beach-img_4986.jpg

At Muzhappilangad drive-in beach-img_4987.jpg

At Muzhappilangad drive-in beach-img_4988.jpg

At Muzhappilangad drive-in beach-img_4995.jpg

At Muzhappilangad drive-in beach-img_4998.jpg

And the video:

Last edited by pjay_in : 30th May 2010 at 22:17.
Old 30th May 2010, 23:14   #2
BHPian

wow, the photos are amazing !
Driving @ seashore.
Old 31st May 2010, 00:03   #3
BHPian

Wow! Looks like you had fun there! Must have been a great experience.

But Sea Water + Car = not a good idea...
Old 31st May 2010, 00:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

woww!! The pics shows that you had a great time there. Its my dream to visit this drive in beach for some time now.
Old 31st May 2010, 14:42   #5
Team-BHP Support

Pjay_in , thanks for the writeup and pics. This place has been on my mind for a while now, and sooner or later, should head to the beach. Thanks for reinstigating that desire.
Old 31st May 2010, 16:34   #6
BHPian

Awasome..... Today which ever thread I am visiting is having Extremely Alluring Pics… Now I have to speak to my boss for a decent Leave to cover all the places..
Old 31st May 2010, 16:44   #7
MX6
Senior - BHPian

good photos there. I've been wanting to drive on the beach for a long time now. The last I drove was my car on the Daytona Beach.
Old 31st May 2010, 22:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow, awesome pictures! Even Maruti's WagonR advertisements and poster pictures never looked this good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks