Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2010, 11:44   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I used to think that Brihadeshwara temple had the biggest sivalingam. But then bhojeshwar is bigger. Thanks to SS-T who opened my (third) eye on this matter!

And yes, I've read about the bogie restaurant earlier. It comes with even level crossings and things like that.
Even I was of the same opinion! This blows me away completely!
Old 18th July 2010, 17:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@rohan, SST,
Also how far is the place from Bhopal? What is the period dated for these structures?
Is ~800-1000 AD of the times of tripartite struggle?
Please refer to the wikipedia link in the opening post. It has all the required info.

Bhojpur is less than an hour's drive from Bhopal.

Rohan
Old 19th July 2010, 13:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

@SS, Nice coverage Sir, BTW did you checked out the maps and structures carved near the temple ( to the right towards the river) where unfinished Pillar/stones arts are lying.Also i think you should have visited Bhimbetka an hours drive from Bhojpur.
Old 19th July 2010, 17:19   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
SST sir another place for you to visit: Brihadeshwara temple Tanjore. Shiva Lingam is huge!
Thanks - will keep this on the "to do" list when exploring TN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
BTW did you checked out the maps and structures carved near the temple ( to the right towards the river) where unfinished Pillar/stones arts are lying.Also i think you should have visited Bhimbetka an hours drive from Bhojpur.
No, I didn't know about these till I read up later - this was a totally unplanned trip as far as tourism goes, and was a day-trip for work; didn't expect to find time for sightseeing, but since we did have a couple of hours free, the trip to Bhojpur was squeezed in - and it certainly was a pleasant surprise! No way would I have made it to Bhimbetka on this trip.
Old 19th July 2010, 17:58   #20
BHPian

aah.. SST you have brought back momories of my +2 and college days.

bhojpur was the place we used to regularly scoot to, after bunking our classes in our scooters/mopeds. IIRC its about 40kms from bhopal.
Old 19th July 2010, 19:21   #21
BHPian

Bhopal. Man my heart lives there.
I have been to Bhojpur several time. Its just amazing to be there.
I remember once going there on a bicycle with friends.
And coming back by 1 a.m , It was when I was in school and was not having any cell phone.
Old 25th July 2010, 20:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
SST sir another place for you to visit: Brihadeshwara temple Tanjore. Shiva Lingam is huge!

But yes as you say, its amazing to explore an un-heard place. The satisfaction is one level higher.

@rohan, SST,
Also how far is the place from Bhopal? What is the period dated for these structures?
Is ~800-1000 AD of the times of tripartite struggle?
there is another huge lingam it is located at ishkavaku 1000 pillar hazaar ramchandra temple at warangal.can anybody put some more light on the biggest lingams in india?

i have uploaded the temple and the big bull nandi outside the lingam i think was not allowed to be photographed.

also regarding monolithic nandi bulls i have seen are at chamundi hills mysore and the ones at halebidu hassan karnataka

pg
Attached Thumbnails
Bhojeshwar Shiva Temple, Bhojpur, MP: Wow!-533.jpg  

Bhojeshwar Shiva Temple, Bhojpur, MP: Wow!-536.jpg  

Last edited by pravdr : 25th July 2010 at 21:02. Reason: warangal
Old 4th August 2010, 20:08   #23
BHPian

After seeing the pictures posted, I feel Brihadeeshwara/Peruvudaiyar temple, tanjore is bigger, will make it a point to visit this shrine when I pass through MP,
SS-Traveller sir,
are poojas/rituals being done regularly in this shrine, because I run a non-profit webportal (epoojaonline.org) to promote old/ancient temples, was thinking if we could add this temple to our network. If the temple is atleast 1000years old & if poojas are being done regularly then we would be more than happy to promote this temple.
Pls revert back on this
Old 4th August 2010, 20:35   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
aah.. SST you have brought back momories of my +2 and college days.
Glad you liked it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd25 View Post
Bhopal. Man my heart lives there.
I have been to Bhojpur several time. Its just amazing to be there. I remember once going there on a bicycle with friends.
LOL. Reminds me of my own school/college days, when exploring places as far away as 50 km from home was a full-day programme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pravdr View Post
i have uploaded the temple and the big bull nandi outside the lingam i think was not allowed to be photographed.

also regarding monolithic nandi bulls i have seen are at chamundi hills mysore and the ones at halebidu hassan karnataka
That's a majestic Nandi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
are poojas/rituals being done regularly in this shrine, because I run a non-profit webportal (epoojaonline.org) to promote old/ancient temples, was thinking if we could add this temple to our network. If the temple is atleast 1000years old & if poojas are being done regularly then we would be more than happy to promote this temple.
The temple itself is a heritage structure under the ASI and is not being used for pooja, but regular pooja is held on the platform in front. The temple dates back to the 10th century AD, which definitely makes it over 1000 years old.
Old 5th August 2010, 19:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@rohaniitr. Were the sculptures defaced by British? The british seldom do such things. Most of sculpture defacing in India was done by the portuguese and the muslim invaders.
I also think this way. I think those sculptures were de-faced by the Mughal rulers!
Anyway, SS da, your log brought back memories of our trip to that ancient temple back in 2002. Its really very old and the Shiva-linga is huge. Even small unplanned trips when shared in this way contribute to spread awareness about such treasure to those who might not have heard/ seen them.
Old 5th August 2010, 19:49   #26
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravdr View Post
can anybody put some more light on the biggest lingams in india?

pg
Biggest monolithic bull in the world is at Lepakshi near Hindupur in Andhra pradesh. it is 125 Km form Bangalore. the nandi is more than 27 ft in length and 15 ft in height. I will upload the photo tomorrow.

In fact i do feel Tanjore Brihadeswara temple lingam is bigger ( may be by girth) this bhojpur lingam is 18 ft tall. so it may be bigger by height.

Last edited by rkg : 5th August 2010 at 19:50.
Old 5th August 2010, 20:41   #27
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Brihadeeshwara's lingam appears bigger because the whole of it is above ground level.
Here, the top of the lingam(the phallic part) is above ground level. The bottom (yoni part) is all below and is a huge massive structure. It makes the lingam also looked warped and disproportionate when viewed in entirety. But nevertheless, Bhojeshwar ranks as the biggest lingam in India.

The biggest lingam like structure I saw was infact in US, in Washington DC. It's called Jefferson memorial. Just view it from side to know what I mean
Old 5th August 2010, 21:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

@ MX6

How about a photo and from the side.

While on large lingam like structures what about the Washington memorial may not gel with lingam like but goes with one that rhymes with b***k
Old 5th August 2010, 21:24   #29
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Here's the Jefferson memorial. I had taken it from the other side. So did at horizontal flip. I don't know what others feel, but htis looked like a shiva lingam for me.
My sis is an architect and she was admiring the architecture of this memorial. I just tersely stated. It looks like shiva lingam which Indians have been worshipping for over 5000 years!
She grabbed a long second look and said, yaa, it does.

Memorialingam!
Bhojeshwar Shiva Temple, Bhojpur, MP: Wow!-jefferson-memorial.jpg
Old 6th August 2010, 11:03   #30
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Lepakshi nandi

photo of Lepakshi nandi
Attached Thumbnails
Bhojeshwar Shiva Temple, Bhojpur, MP: Wow!-lepakshi-nandi.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks