Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 15:11   #16
Team-BHP Support

Riju, where do you encounter this stretch? Is it one the way from Pondicherry to Velankanni ?
Old 19th July 2010, 15:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Riju, where do you encounter this stretch? Is it one the way from Pondicherry to Velankanni ?
Which one are you talking about ?
Old 19th July 2010, 16:02   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Which one are you talking about ?
The green snap that you posted . Looks really nice and worth a drive.
Old 19th July 2010, 17:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The green snap that you posted . Looks really nice and worth a drive.
That was shot before Thiruvannamalai,actually the whole route is picturesque.
Old 19th July 2010, 17:28   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That was shot before Thiruvannamalai,actually the whole route is picturesque.
You mean Krishnagiri - TV Malai? Wow ! I dont remember that stretch at all!

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Old 19th July 2010, 18:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Underexposing helped in getting the hues of the sky naturally. Else they'd have appeared burnt out!
Good thinking there Damu.
Yes MX6; travelling is helping me hone up my photography skills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
See here a log of an old trip
Thanks laluks, lots of pics there!

Quote:
damu I think this would be the 1st travelogue here covering Tranquebar. I always wanted to visit Danish Fort and never have had the chance. Driven through the same route quite a few times and none of the locals seem to know about the Danish fort at all.
Hope this T/L proved useful then!

Quote:
Here's one I shot during my previous trip to Velankanni in May.
For quite sometime I wondered where this was, and now remember the tamarind (?) trees. In fact, under the shade of these trees are the potholes!

But the road is not so smooth now.

BUT, you have a very good eye and I totally missed the picture here! I should learn from you to "see" a picture.

Quote:
For a photographer like me who does it purely as a hobby this is one of the most scenic stretch during the whole drive.
Unfortunately, I did not divert my attention from the road.

Quote:
I pray it remains the same and that the authorities don't kill the vegetation around the road. Its simply beautiful and very picturesque.
Agreed they don't need to kill the vegetation, but the least that can be done is maintain the road! Can't be any harm in that

Quote:
Did you miss this in Tranquebar ?
Again I have to admit I missed this as well!

Last edited by Damu : 19th July 2010 at 18:55. Reason: Removed a smiley!
Old 19th July 2010, 20:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
damu I think this would be the 1st travelogue here covering Tranquebar.
I think a while ago majic wrote about his trip to tranquebar. I remember reading that. I also read a few other posts on the place along with other trip logs. But Damu's pictures speak a lot about the place.

Riju, good pictures there.
Old 19th July 2010, 21:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think a while ago majic wrote about his trip to tranquebar. I remember reading that. I also read a few other posts on the place along with other trip logs. But Damu's pictures speak a lot about the place.
If yes then I stand corrected.

Quote:
Riju, good pictures there.
Thanks mate.
Old 20th July 2010, 08:46   #24
BHPian

Tranquebar Day 2 Part 1 - Hotel, Fort, and the drive to Pondicherry

At the end of Day 1, Saturday night: This bungalow is a lovely old Danish bungalow and we just enjoyed the old-world ambience. After staying out in the verandah, enjoying the lovely breeze and the millions of stars, we finally called it a day and went to sleep. We were thinking there might be mosquitoes, but there weren't any. However there were other insects outside, so we had to keep the door to the verandah firmly closed.

We also finalised our program. Next morning we would go around the temple and port and do the Fort visit. This would be over by 11am. We would check out and leave for Pondy and stay at Pondy Sunday night, leaving Pondy Monday morning to reach Bangalore by afternoon. (I wanted to reach by afternoon for work reasons). I called up a hotel in Pondy where I'm a regular and booked a room, so that was all fixed up.

Day 2. 11th July

Sunday 11th morning I was up at 5.30 am and had a wash and went outside. It was already light but the sun had not arisen yet. I took some pictures and waited for the sunrise to get some shots but it was not well positioned within the hotel and I gave up. I could have got some good pictures from the beach, but I was in my lungi and would have had to change and run around the hotel to the beach with my tripod and camera and frankly I was too lazy to do that!

Pic Hotel 1 - 5.45 am, just before sunrise, the sky is lit up.

Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-bungalow-beach-tranquebar1.jpg

After our baths, but before breakfast, we went for a walk around the locality, starting at the beach in front of the hotel. First stop at the temple which is just next to the bungalow.

The temple is very old, but I don't remember all the information about it. What I remember is that it is an important temple that has been damaged over the years by erosion. A big chunk was washed away by the tsunami. What is left now is about 25% of the original. Even so, pujas are conducted even now, although when we went the priest wasn't there.

Pic Temple 1
Just before the temple, the collision of blues of the sky and sea and the reds of the bricks and stones in the brilliant sunlight was gorgeous and irresistable, so I climbed over the rocks to get this picture.

Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-beach-temple-tranquebar-1.jpg

Pic Temple 2 From the bungalow this path leads to the temple.

Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-beach-temple-tranquebar-2.jpg

Pic Temple 3 The recent tsunami damages are evident here.

Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-beach-temple-tranquebar-3.jpg

Pic Temple 5 The rear of the temple. The man sitting here reading a newspaper is part of the earthmover's crew. The other man is seated in the JCB. They are getting ready to work.

Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-beach-temple-tranquebar-5.jpg

Pic Temple 6 The temple from some distance away showing the protective rocks. The rocks are not only for the temple but for the whole stretch including the Fort, Bungalow, Temple and the small town itself.

Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-beach-temple-tranquebar-6.jpg

Pic Temple 7 This view from the temple shows part of the small settlement that lies within the Danish Fort.

Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-beach-temple-tranquebar-7.jpg

In the above picture, the first red-tiled building is "Nayak House" which is an old building restored by Neemrana Hotels and forms part of the Bungalow on the Beach.

Neemrana Hotels::The Bungalow on the Beach

The next red tiled building is a private residence. We walked up to it, it was a most beautiful old bungalow.

We went one block around the hotel and saw a couple of the prettiest little cottages we've ever seen. I was keen to take some pictures of these cottages, but felt I should ask permission. As no one was about, I didn't take any pics.

The hotel - The Bungalow on the Beach.

As mentioned, this is an old Danish bungalow that has been restored by the Neemrana Group. They have tried to keep it as original as possible, and it is a commendable effort.

Pic Hotel 0. While returning from our walk the previous evening, I found this verandah bathed in the glow of the lamps and it was very pretty. I hope this picture can convey the warm attractiveness of this old building.

Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-bungalow-beach-tranquebar0.jpg

Pic 2 Hotel. This is the front of the bungalow that faces the sea. This was taken at 6.45 am. Here you can see that the old structure has been restored meticulously. Towards the far end, white pillars can be seen, that is the swimming pool, which is newly constructed.

Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-bungalow-beach-tranquebar2.jpg

Pic 3 Hotel The front verandah. Typical old world charm. Towards the end of this verandah is the restaurant.

Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-bungalow-beach-tranquebar3.jpg

Pic 4 Hotel. From the same spot, I turned 180 degrees and there is my wife busy with her Sudoku. She says I don't have brains that's why I don't do Sudoku! Ahead, the fort is visible too. This was at 7.30 am and it was already very hot. But my wife said it was pleasant in the shade.

Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-bungalow-beach-tranquebar4.jpg

Pic 6.
Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-bungalow-beach-tranquebar6.jpg

Pic 5
Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-bungalow-beach-tranquebar5.jpg

Besides this bungalow, they have also taken over one behind it which is the Hotel Tamil Nadu, a budget hotel formerly being run by the Government of Tamil Nadu, now handed over to Neemrana. Neemrana however has kept the rates as earlier (perhaps that was the condition).

Pic 7 Entrance to Bungalow on the Beach. Neemrana has also taken over the Gate House which is next to the port entrance and quite far from the main bungalow; the Nayak House which is at the temple side of the main bungalow. All these together form part of the Neemrana hotel in Tranquebar. Food has to go to Gate House and Nayak House from the main bungalow, as can be seen here:

Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-bungalow-beach-tranquebar7.jpg

Pic 8 Another view of the B on B

Bangalore Tranquebar - Weekend getaway.-bungalow-beach-tranquebar8.jpg

After our walk it was breakfast time and we had our breakfast in the restaurant inside. Simple with omelette and toast, fruits, juices, cereals. For those who prefer idli dosas, they can hop across to the Hotel Tamil Nadu opposite.

Hotel Tamil Nadu has its own kitchen and we are free to eat there as well. This hotel prepares south Indian breakfast so those who want can go to this hotel.

Our opinion of the Neemrana hotel in Tranquebar.

My wife has been to one of these hotels in Rajasthan, so she was confident it would be good. The first evening at B on B we thought that the rate, Rs. 3500 a night with breakfast, was high. However, later we changed our opinion, because it has cost a lot to restore these buildings and I can understand that it will be dificult to maintain this in a small place like Tranquebar. Considering all the points - building restoration, maintenance, facilities (swimming pool), quality of food, I would say that Rs. 3500 a night is very reasonable. I am quite sure that if this was a top name hotel they would charge much more for the same facilities.

The entire place is kept as original as possible. The rooms are really old world, and so do not have modernity. But IMO, this is quite nice as the furniture is old. The bathrooms are done up quite well.

They have a better package for 3 nights which is Rs. 9000 with all meals. But what would we do here for three nights? But if you are in a group of 3 or 4 families, then you can probably make use of the package.

They have a bar as well, but I had my stock, and I was allowed to have it in our verandah.

The restaurant serves veg and non veg; simple fixed menu for each day, but it is enough. I prefer simple menus because this way you can't get old food. We had dinner on the first evening and it was good.

The service was okay, no real complaints. The staff were very obliging so all in all, our stay was very pleasant.

Overall, recommended, especially if you make use of the pool. Keep a budget of Rs. 5000 including food.

Next part coming up is the fort and drive to Pondy, for Day 2 Continued...
Damu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2010, 09:11   #25
BHPian

Nice Photos @Damu. Thanks for sharing. Your travelogue has inspired me to visit Tranquebar.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

The Bungalow on the Beach seems to attract me. I'll drive out early morning on a saturday, chill out there and return back charged by Sunday night for the next set of chores in Bangalore .

Thanks Damu, nice info.
Old 20th July 2010, 12:55   #27
BHPian

How was the weather in Pondy? May visit Pondy and Mahabs this week-end.

Any pointer on hotels in both the places (budget max 2000/- per room per night) for relaxing holiday.
Old 20th July 2010, 13:14   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Bungalow on the Beach seems to attract me. I'll drive out early morning on a saturday, chill out there and return back charged by Sunday night for the next set of chores in Bangalore .

Thanks Damu, nice info.
+1 to that! The place seems awesome! Will definitely think of going. Hotel is inviting for me too! Thanks for sharing Damu.

Also the snaps are classic, esp. the open sea "on the rocks"!
Old 20th July 2010, 13:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Lovely tlogue.Inspiring enough for us to do a Tranquebar drive from hyd.Nice pictures as well.
Old 20th July 2010, 13:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue Damu, must make a plan to visit Tranquebar sooner than later now !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks