Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 09:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajbose View Post
Parag, you are absolutely correct - for that is the route I plan to take.

Planning to leave around 200 AM from Chennai - once I reach the outskirts of Bangalore, is there anyway I can bypass the city and go directly onto the Bangalore - Pune stretch of the NH4? I always get lost in Bangalore!
Siraj,
You can refer this page of the thread (and further) on bypassing Bangalore using the NICE Road. It remains the best and the quickest option to get onto the NH4 to Pune from Hosur Road side.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1906455

Early morning, through the city it would take an hour for you to reach NH4 braving a good number of speedbreakers (and of course the confusion if not used to city roads) and hence NICE would be recommended since it would take not more than 40-45 mins for you to reach NH4.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd July 2010 at 09:14.
Old 22nd July 2010, 09:17   #17
BHPian

Count me in !!

I think that i qualify for all your criteria except point no 5.
Incase that doesnt matter, let me know brother
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:33   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Ranjith - Why is that the case?
I have heard that one should eat light to avoid sleepiness on a long drive (15 to 18 hrs). Eating non-veg stuff (these tend to be heavy) would mean lot of energy needed on metabolic activity, slowing down the brain. A slow brain would mean less alertness etc thats why...

I would says its individual perception rather than following the protocols incase if you are used to have heavy lunch/dinner/non-veg on your long drive for please carry on. I have only seen one person so far in Team-BHP having heavy lunch/dinner on a long trip.

Check this link for more info for foodies corner eat safe on long drive http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-drives-3.html
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:06   #19
BHPian

If you wish to take the NICE Road, remember the following
a) Get into the service lane when you have reached Electronice City. For this keep to the extreme left, when you approach the Elevated Expressway (BETL) toll gates, the left lane is toll free and lead you to service road - toll gates will lead you to the Elevated Expressway going to the city.
Keep on conitnuing on the Service Lane, you will cross a signalled junction in 1 - 1.5 km distance, you will be able to see the left turn for NICE Road within 200 meters.
b) As indicated in the post referred NICE road is not continous on the Bannerghata road crossing. You have to follow diversions to reach Bannerghata Road and take the next section of NICE road. Every other car in that road will be doing the same (at least till Bannerghata road), so you can follow them. Once you reach Bannerghata road, you have to turn left on Bannerghata road to get back to NICE Road crossing.
In very rare case, if the diversions you have taken (following the pilot car ) has taken you through a underpass below the NICE, you have to take a right on Bannerghata Road.
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Siraj,
You can refer this page of the thread (and further) on bypassing Bangalore using the NICE Road. It remains the best and the quickest option to get onto the NH4 to Pune from Hosur Road side.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1906455

Early morning, through the city it would take an hour for you to reach NH4 braving a good number of speedbreakers (and of course the confusion if not used to city roads) and hence NICE would be recommended since it would take not more than 40-45 mins for you to reach NH4.
Parag - thanks for the link. However, still could not understand how to take that route. I will be using the Chennai / Bangalore route - NH4 - is there any landmark I can look out for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzbala View Post
I think that i qualify for all your criteria except point no 5.
Incase that doesnt matter, let me know brother
Bala - No problem on point 5 - actually went through the link Ranjith sent and it was a learning experience. Will stick to veg food on this trip. So are you serious about coming along? Are you in Chennai currently? Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
Check this link for more info for foodies corner eat safe on long drive http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-drives-3.html
Excellent link Ranjith. Thanks to you, you have a convert from non veg to veg - well atleast for the duration of the trip!

Last edited by sirajbose : 22nd July 2010 at 15:53.
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
If you wish to take the NICE Road, remember the following
a) Get into the service lane when you have reached Electronice City. For this keep to the extreme left, when you approach the Elevated Expressway (BETL) toll gates, the left lane is toll free and lead you to service road - toll gates will lead you to the Elevated Expressway going to the city.
Keep on conitnuing on the Service Lane, you will cross a signalled junction in 1 - 1.5 km distance, you will be able to see the left turn for NICE Road within 200 meters.
b) As indicated in the post referred NICE road is not continous on the Bannerghata road crossing. You have to follow diversions to reach Bannerghata Road and take the next section of NICE road. Every other car in that road will be doing the same (at least till Bannerghata road), so you can follow them. Once you reach Bannerghata road, you have to turn left on Bannerghata road to get back to NICE Road crossing.
In very rare case, if the diversions you have taken (following the pilot car ) has taken you through a underpass below the NICE, you have to take a right on Bannerghata Road.
Thanks Arindam! I feel a little confident now about tackling the NICE road!
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:25   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Parag - thanks for the link. However, still could not understand how to take that route. I will be using the Chennai / Bangalore route - NH4 - is there any landmark I can look out for?
Siraj,

Refer this link and further pages with more details on the landmark and the approach to NICE from Hosur Road side.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...galore-35.html

It should surely ease out your confusion on any doubts since many points have been discussed on reaching Tumkur Road of NH4 from Hosur Road Side.

You may feel free to ask anything more on places to Refuel, eat and the traffic conditions just in case.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd July 2010 at 16:26.
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

How about using the outer ring road if he is reaching silkboard by 7am?
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:45   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
How about using the outer ring road if he is reaching silkboard by 7am?
I too was thinking of the same but,
EC to Silkboard via Elevated highway - 10 mins.
Silkboard to Marathalli via ORR - 20 Mins
Marathalli-KR Puram-Hebbal would be 25-30 mins.
Hebbal-BEL Circle-Goreguntepalya - 10 Mins (If the Railway gates are open)
Goreguntepalya till NICE Intersection on NH4 - 20 mins

It easily means 90 Mins (Best cannot be less than 60 mins) against 40-50 mins on the NICE Road that too without getting stuck anywhere!

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd July 2010 at 16:46.
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:04   #25
BHPian

Guys, a slight change in plan - I might be able to leave Chennai by 1100 PM on 28th July (Wednesday), which means I should be at Bangalore by around 330 AM. I believe the NICE road is not the safest option at this time. If I were to take the elevated toll road into Bangalore, can someone please give me directions to NH4 after I come down from the toll road? Thanks!
Old 24th July 2010, 09:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

At 3.30am, no need to take elevated road as the road below will be free of traffic.

IMO, better try safer outer ring road even though its little longer. Route via city is shorter but it may confuse you.
Old 24th July 2010, 10:13   #27
BHPian

Four months back when I drove to Mumbai I too left at 330 am from HSR Layout and took the NICE road to get on to NH4. The conditions seemed safe and it took about 40 mins to cover the distance to NH4. You needn't bother much about it. I would say NICE road is a boon to those trying to by-pass Bangalore. Try it mate. You'll love it!

All the best for your journey!
Old 24th July 2010, 14:09   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonguy View Post
Four months back when I drove to Mumbai I too left at 330 am from HSR Layout and took the NICE road to get on to NH4. The conditions seemed safe and it took about 40 mins to cover the distance to NH4. You needn't bother much about it. I would say NICE road is a boon to those trying to by-pass Bangalore. Try it mate. You'll love it!

All the best for your journey!
@Canon Guy - Can you articulate the twists and turns I need to take after taking the NICE road and till I get to NH4? Question is at 330 AM the traffic will be quite less, hence will not be able to ask for directions - also do not want to ask for directions as I have read some unpleasant experiences about the NICE road at night. Thanks!
Old 24th July 2010, 15:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
@Canon Guy - Can you articulate the twists and turns I need to take after taking the NICE road and till I get to NH4?
After you move forward from the first toll booth on the NICE Rd, you need to keep your eyes peeled for the diversion. After a few kms, you'll see it. It is basically a road block with indication to get off the road towards the right side. You have to make a right turn and go down the road. Here you need to slow down as the road is a bit pot-holed! (Not very NICE, really). Continue straight for about 100 mtrs and turn left. This would be the first Left after getting down the NICE Rd. The road is narrow here, may be one and a half lanes. Stick to it. It will wind its way to Bannerghatta Road, about a km or so later. As you proceed pls be slow as on the left there is a lake. After about a km the road will intersect Bannerghatta Road. Here you need to make a left turn again and then again after 100-200 mtrs you need to turn right to get on to the NICE Road again.

Once you get on the NICE road from Bannerghatta Road, it is a straight-forward drive right up to the point where you see a sign pointing towards Tumkur. Exit there to the left.

Let me know if you need more directions.

Last edited by canonguy : 24th July 2010 at 15:22.
Old 24th July 2010, 15:31   #30
BHPian

Siraj,

All you need to follow the directions is to reach tumkur road (NH4).

Here is the brief junction you will come across the Nice road.

All you need to follow is the direction towards Tumkur Road, I believe the toll would be approximately 38 Rs(For the First Leg & 65 Rs for Second Leg).

I would recommend you to take NICE Road to reach NH4 even though it's late because it's safe. There would be patrol hence not to worry.

I stay near the Kanakapura Junction of NICE Road. Let me know if you need more assistance.

Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks