Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 00:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

smoky mountains TN - aug 2010

So we did a trip to the smoky mountains last weekend. I took two days off and started on Wednesday evening. The plan was to reach knoxville, TN from where smokies would be just an hour away.

I always thought cabins were just a hype, but decided to take the plunge this time. hype, so what? we booked a 2 bedroom cabin for three nights and a room in holiday inn in knoxville for the overnight stay. I always use priceline for overnight stays because I don't care which hotel I get. We usually get hilton or hyatt suites type accommodation within 50$ that way.

so we reached knoxville around 10, spent the night there, and stated in the morning. The check in at cabin was not until 3 PM so we went ahead to the new found gap, one of the high points in smokies, and from there to clingman's dome.

By the time we came down it was past 1, so we just took lunch at a pizza hut and headed straight to the cabin rental. as expected, the cabin was ready so we didn't have to wait till 3.

they gave us the directions, and there starts the fun part, I entered them in GPS and we went on a merry go round of interior mountain roads with 45+ degrees of ups and downs until a dead end, and our destination was just .3 miles from there. So we drove back to the main road, followed their direction and finally reached the cabin. Surprisingly, it was really in the wild, nobody around, I could see only two cabins from there, and they were at a steep incline at least a quarter mile from us. There was no cell signal either, unless I went on the deck and raised my cellphone trying to "catch" the signal.

smoky mountains TN - aug 2010-untitled.jpg

The next day we went to the chimneys picnic area which was pretty good. every car gets it's own picnic spot with seats and grill if you want to grill and eat.

picnic area attached to the car parking

smoky mountains TN - aug 2010-img_1432.jpg

We had carried our food and after finishing it moved on the the water stream. I am a big fan of small streams and we had a really nice time there.

smoky mountains TN - aug 2010-dscf9320.jpg

While returning form the other side I decided to follow my wife's directions for a shorter route and splashed into the water. Also caught a leech and took it out immediately.

smoky mountains TN - aug 2010-dscf9332.jpg

after lunch we came back to the cabin and spent the rest of the day looking at the mountains and the greenery.

next day was again spent in the same way, but instead of the chimney area we went towards cades cove and stopped in a picnic area on the way.

one of the night I opened the door towards the deck and damn, it was like a storm of cricket chirps, plus I also heard some movement, probably a racoon or something. we were told not to leave any eatables outside and trash cans were locked with bungee cords. I could understand why a visit from a bear could not be very surprising.

We returned on sunday, with an uneventful drive. we were home by 5 PM and life was back as usual. Gatlinburg also offers a lot of entertainment, shows, eat outs etc but we decided to stay in the cabin.

other pics and views from our cabin

smoky mountains TN - aug 2010-smoky.jpg

panoramic view from HS10.

smoky mountains TN - aug 2010-dscf9300.jpg
Old 18th August 2010, 07:17   #2
BHPian

I always wanted to visit the smokeys but plans never materialized. Post more pics, specially of the cabin.
Old 18th August 2010, 07:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't have any different pics of the cabin. from inside it was as good as a typical 2 bedroom american house. absolutely no difference.

Wish I had taken pics from outside, but they are here at the official link
Old 18th August 2010, 08:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

First I thought TN? What's Vivek doing in TamilNadu? Then I thought must be Tennessee. Sorry, I know nothing about this place; What did you drive? Nissan? Was that Altima?
Old 18th August 2010, 09:20   #5
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I drove all the way from Libertyville, IL to Gatlinburg, TN and spent a couple of days there. It was a nice family trip. I took loads of videos. Sadly, I lost the few photos I took.
We had taken packed food too! All kinds of rice items. Had it with chips near the streams!
I loved the smokies for their natural beauty! Hope to see more photos from your side.
Old 18th August 2010, 09:37   #6
BHPian

I have been to the Smokies 2 times when I was in NC for a couple of months. I love that place and these photos made me feel nostalgic.

If you haven't already I hope next time you go for a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway too, one of the best roads to drive on in the US.
Old 18th August 2010, 19:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
First I thought TN? What's Vivek doing in TamilNadu? Then I thought must be Tennessee. Sorry, I know nothing about this place; What did you drive? Nissan? Was that Altima?
, I didn't think of TN as in Tamilnadu.
I was driving my nissan quest, trusted minivan for last 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I drove all the way from Libertyville, IL to Gatlinburg, TN and spent a couple of days there. It was a nice family trip. I took loads of videos. Sadly, I lost the few photos I took.
We had taken packed food too! All kinds of rice items. Had it with chips near the streams!
I loved the smokies for their natural beauty! Hope to see more photos from your side.
we almost always take a place with kitchen because of the kids, and prepare our food. Unless it's a one day trip. The other thing I hate to do is a lot of planning and sightseeing. If I am on vacation, I want it slow and comfortable. being able to "see" more has never been my motivation. Hence no travelogues from me until now
Old 18th August 2010, 19:34   #8
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Good. I do that too when I'm abroad. No rushing. I do a lot of planning but select only few places to see. And the passion to drive. That's why I drove from northern part of Illinois to Gatlinburg, TN.
Roll out the photos dude! I've forgotten many of these places because of losing the photos. And my camcorder is not recognised by stupid vista. Maybe I shall dig out the minidv tape and watch it in my tv today!
Old 18th August 2010, 20:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

unfortunately all the photos are just a minor variant of these same photos, When I selected the pics to post, these are the only pics that made here. The problem is I do all the driving, and take pics only when I reach the destination.

here are some from my last trip in fall. smokies look gorgeous in that time of the year.

smoky mountains TN - aug 2010-img_5555.jpgsmoky mountains TN - aug 2010-img_5559.jpg

a little to much processing I guess. But I was obsessed with the colors.

smoky mountains TN - aug 2010-img_5572_1.jpgsmoky mountains TN - aug 2010-img_5575.jpgsmoky mountains TN - aug 2010-img_5611.jpgsmoky mountains TN - aug 2010-img_5625.jpg

cades cove if I rememeber correctly

smoky mountains TN - aug 2010-img_5628.jpg
Old 18th August 2010, 21:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Was there 2 years ago. Hiking, rafting and entertainment. Good Fun.

Highlight was white water rafting. Really scenic freeway once you get closer.

Did you catch KFC birthplace on the way?
Old 18th August 2010, 21:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

no, actually it surprises me that I have never been to KFC. Wife is pure vegetarian and I eat meat only to expand my choices when needed.

but we are looking for more places around though, have been to most of the popular destinations within 8 hrs from here. We plan a lot of things, hiking etc, but most of it changes depending upon the mood my boys wake up in the morning.
Old 18th August 2010, 23:31   #12
BHPian

Nice pics. I had been to Smokies couple of times, but never stayed in a cabin. Fall is the most beautiful time to visit in my opinion. Hopefully we might visit again for this fall & stay in a cabin.

Could you please share more info about cabin, like pricing, maintenance, neatness etc.

thanks.
Old 19th August 2010, 02:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Baah, I opened the thread expecting some new unknown place in TamilNadu which is called Smokey Mountain. :(
But anyway, nice lovely place. Love those riots of colors. Thanks for sharing..
Old 19th August 2010, 05:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

IMG_5572_1.JPG looks like being processed, but very beautiful; IMG_5611.JPG looks awesome place. But, why is it called smokey mountain? Due to fog or something?
Old 19th August 2010, 06:53   #15
Team-BHP Support

The texture colour makes the place remarkable. There are other places like this though, but this one has its own character.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks