Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2011, 14:49   #151
BHPian

Bhutan tourist map with Assam roads

Now this is the best map of Bhutan any tourist can ever get.
Source: Tourism department, Govt of Bhutan.
Attached Thumbnails
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-maplarge.jpg  

San Phrangmung is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 19:44   #152
BHPian

Republic Day Lunch @ {Samdrup Jongkhar}

My brother and his pal from Bengaluru was home. Due to Meghalaya bandh, they had to postpone their Umium boat house stay.

So on 25th Jan i told them to sleep early, which was past midnight anyways.
Next morning even i overslept and we could get off only around 8.30.

26 th January in North East has always been unofficial Bandh, so we were prepared to go anyplace possible.

The route chosen was across the Saraighat bridge towards Baihata Chariali with Bornodi Wildlife Sanctury in mind and hopefully any Bhutan border.

The ride within Guwahati seemed normal as compared to the past, roads were filled with vehicles and people. And when we came across trucks after trucks from Jalukbari onwards, thought this Republic Day we were just lucky.

But to our surprise even shops and tea stalls in small hamlets upto Baihata Chariali was open.

So there i confidently took the left turn towards Rangia, for taking my fellow passengers to the Land of the thunder Dragon. PS This is the first time there was someone with me during a drive.

Road condition from Saraighat to Baihata is mixed with four lane and two bridge work in progress but improves after crossing Baihata towards Rangia. There onward the Bhutan roads under BRO is 70 % compleate on both ends. But the middle portion is still terrible where even driving in 40 throws up the back seater for a big bang on the head.

On way we crossed two defense bases apart from SSB and Assam Police battalion base but there was no area coverage or checking, which proved that all was ok and things are changing towards normalcy.

Thus Tamulpur was crossed and we reached the Darranga last border bridge in no time.

This was my third visit to Samdrup, the former being with mixed feelings, I parked my car near the gate got down and spoke to a security official if we could drive into the town. To my surprise he was very polite and just told me to register car and personal details with another gate official. Once write up over, my brother and our Bengaluru guest “Angel Guy” were told to walk through the security check and I had to drive my car to the other side or into Bhutan.

So there I was successful at my third attempt to finally drive into Samdrup Jongkhar township. Must say thank you to the Bhutanese officials on duty there on 26th January for the go ahead this time.

Lunch platter with Ima datchi, Pork fry, Smoked pork, Smoked Beef and good ol coke
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-bhutanese-lunch-ima-datchi-pork-beef-coke.jpg

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 10th February 2012 at 20:06.
San Phrangmung is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 20:34   #153
BHPian

Re: Guwahati getaways: Bhutan

Return gifts to self from Bhutan
Attached Thumbnails
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san1974-copy.jpg  

Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san1975-copy.jpg  

Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san1976-copy.jpg  

Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san1977-copy.jpg  

Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san1978-copy.jpg  

Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san1979-copy.jpg  

Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san1980-copy.jpg  

Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san1981-copy.jpg  

Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san1982-copy.jpg  

San Phrangmung is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 17:16   #154
Senior - BHPian

Re: Republic Day Lunch @ {Samdrup Jongkhar}

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Road condition from Saraighat to Baihata is mixed with four lane and two bridge work in progress but improves after crossing Baihata towards Rangia. There onward the Bhutan roads under BRO is 70 % compleate on both ends. But the middle portion is still terrible where even driving in 40 throws up the back seater for a big bang on the head.
Looks like there is hardly any progress! Is the level crossing between Saraighat & Baihata bridged or still a mess? What about the level crossing at Rangiya town on the Tamulpur road?

Quote:
Thus Tamulpur was crossed and we reached the Darranga last border bridge in no time.
Looks like the Rangiya-Tamulpur-Dirang-Samdrup Khonkar road continues to be in good condition?
Old 14th February 2012, 18:58   #155
BHPian

Yes HvK, the railway crossings still exist, and due to the narrow stretch and large number of factories and ware houses coming up in the area, it takes an hour to reach Baihata from city and more while entering Guwahati at times.

The Rangiya one i did not see this time as took a right turn beforehand.
Old 16th March 2012, 20:16   #156
BHPian

I won't be able to load all the photographs (as resizing so many snaps is not possible) from the Samdrup and the later Daifam trip. So here are the links to the photographs in my facebook page.

SAMDRUP JONGKHAR trip photos

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1132996&type=3

DAIFAM or JOMOTSANGKHA trip photos

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1132996&type=3

So right after the Samdrup trip i touched another Bhutan Border which is at the Assam Arunachal Bhutan triangle. The place is locally known as Daifam to people of Assam and called Jomotsangkha by the Bhutanese.

The place was in news recently due to the construction of the border wall by the Bhutan authorities which the SSB unit posted there claimed came well within Indian territory. There was a joint survey done later on by local authorities from Udalguri district of Bodoland and Bhutan officials. the matter was solved amicably.

There's a plan of making a new highway from this place to Jomduar in westernmost Bodoland near Gelephu and Srirampur in kokrajhar districts bordering Bengal and Bhutan. When i drove through Baksa, Chirang and Udalguri, i did not see any work on this road though.

I took the Guwahati Tezpore highway and turned left from Rowta and then again a right before reaching Udalguri town to reach Bhairabkunda picnic spot, for which this area is most famous for. The road beyond the national highway in Rowta was hellish and was able to drive through only because its not rainy season.

Rowta onwards there was area coverage by alert SSB men due to hit and run insurgent activities in the region. And one has to report to two gates before finally reaching into the Jomotsangkha or Daifam town of Bhutan.

For me it was a recee trip so just had breakfast and came back. So more info after next visit.

For the location details please visit my Panoramio page:

http://www.panoramio.com/user/4435077

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 16th March 2012 at 20:37.
Old 14th May 2019, 23:09   #157
BHPian

Siliguri - Thimphu - Gelephu - Bongaigaon - Guwahati

Hi all,

A bunch of us are planning to do a bike trip

Siliguri - Phuentosoling - Thimphu - Punakha - Gelephu - Bongaigaon - Nalbari - Guwahati

This is the rough itinerary.

Time will be mid October 2019

We will be shipping the bikes to Siliguri from where the ride will begin and will end in Guwahati.

Request your comments on

a) The itinerary itself - the good, the bad, recent experiences

b) What could be good day long rides at that time of the year from around Punakha / Thimphu. I heard for example that there is a good ride to the Ura valley

c) Can we enter through Phuentsoling and exit through Gelephu?

d) The WB / Assam leg of the journey. I saw some comments from 2013 / 2014 that suggest that we avoid Bongaigaon. Any comments on this leg much appreciated

e) Indeed any and all suggestions welcome

It is meant to be a 11 day trip from flying in at Siliguri to flying out from Guwahati

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks