Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 09:31   #91
BHPian

Beautiful pictures and equally beautiful writeup to complement. dreamdiesl you have put enormous efforts for giving the descriptions in details. Appreciate your patience

One more trivia for you to know. Its regarding battle tanks.

When a captured tank belonging to enemy is put on public display, its turret is positioned pointing towards ground.

And when its our own tank, then the turret is pointing skywards. Check your pictures to see this fact.
Old 8th October 2010, 12:29   #92
BHPian

DD,

Superb coverage and nicely captured the greens and the locations. One of the log which captured details to further help fellow travelers plan their schedule. Highly appreciate your time and efforts to make this log a wonderful guide.

Thank you!

regards,
Manjunath
Old 8th October 2010, 22:12   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Great pictures there DD. Whenever I drive to Pune, I mostly drive to Aurangabad as well but I honestly admit that you have now made me list these places which I must visit during my next trip. Never knew that there was a Cavalry Tank Museum in Ahmednagar but knew it was quite a strong defence center. I've heard of Bibi Ka Maqbara and always failed making a visit there due to my timelines.

I've always preferred driving very early mornings or post dinner on SH60 (Pune-Aurangabad or back) due to frequent small towns and villages that one needs to cross which is a pain. Adding to that, the are so many 2 wheelers riding haphazardly to irritate you. The traffic after Ahmednagar till Aurangabad is leaner when compared to Pune-Ahmednagar section anytime of the day/night.

Now I also realised that I can try the Baramati, Phaltan to reach Kolhapur without going to Pune (though I always knew there must be an easy option to reach but never tried).

The long queue at Taswade toll on NH4 is a never ending problem till it gets addressed.
Thank You Parag. Aurangabad is a very historical city. I missed quite a lot of places worth visiting like Ajanta Caves, Dualtabad Fort, Aurangabad caves and Panchakki due to time contraints. I will surely be back to Aurangabad to visit these places.

Cavalry Tank Museum is a must visit for anyone interested in Battle Tanks and the Armed forces. I could not take pictures inside the Hall of Heroes at the Cavalry Tank museum as photography was prohibited. It had photographs and lots of history about our Armed Forces and the honour they have brought to our Country.

Yes I also noticed the long queue at the Taswade toll on NH4. Not a very common sight while travelling on NH4.

2 wheelers driving haphazardly on Higways is a very common sight all over the country. I always drive cautiously when passing through villages or towns. Going through Baramati and Phaltan to Kolhapur route was chosen to mainly skip getting stuck in Pune traffic. I found out about this route while browsing through some of the threads on TBHP. Better to travel in this route in broad daylight as Ahmednagar to Duand is pretty deserted and not safe during night. Also the bad stretch about 25kms before and 10kms after Daund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Beautiful pictures and equally beautiful writeup to complement. dreamdiesl you have put enormous efforts for giving the descriptions in details. Appreciate your patience

One more trivia for you to know. Its regarding battle tanks.

When a captured tank belonging to enemy is put on public display, its turret is positioned pointing towards ground.

And when its our own tank, then the turret is pointing skywards. Check your pictures to see this fact.
Thank you Deepak. Most of the effort goes to wifey as she took pictures and made imp. notes while I was driving.

Yes I did notice the turrent of captured enemy tanks lowered when put on display. The picture of the captured Pakistani M24 Chafee depicts the same. Thanks for point that out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
DD,

Superb coverage and nicely captured the greens and the locations. One of the log which captured details to further help fellow travelers plan their schedule. Highly appreciate your time and efforts to make this log a wonderful guide.

Thank you!

regards,
Manjunath
Thank you Manjunath. Thanks for th kind words too.. My intention of writing travelogues is firstly share my experiences travelling to these beautiful places supported by relevant and good photographs. Secondly I try to keep it detailed so that fellow travellers find it easy to plan their trip accordingly if travelling to these places. I try to include road conditions, travel time and reasonably good places to stay and eat at that place.
Old 11th October 2010, 17:13   #94
BHPian

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!

Day 9 (11th September, 2010): Kolhapur – Sankeshwar – Gokak Town – Sankeshwar – Belgaum – Dharwad – Hubli – Haveri – Ranebennur – Harihar – Davangere – Chitradurga – Hiriyur – Sira – Tumkur – Bangalore

Trip Meter –2351kms to 3147kms

It’s Ganesh Chaturthi today and can sense the music and look at the colors of the festivities around. The streets are crowded with people shopping or bringing Ganesh Idols home accompanied by bands playing loud music. It’s also the last day of our road trip into Maharashtra and we have about 770kms to travel today and reach Bangalore by midnight. We wake up, pack our bags and check out of the hotel by 10:00AM. We head straight to Phadtare’s Misal - Pav Centre in Udyam Nagar, the same place where we had the yummy Misal Pav on the second day of our road trip. The place was crowded being a holiday. After waiting for about 15mins we got a place to sit and enjoy the breakfast. The breakfast is done with a wonderful cup of tea just outside the hotel.

We then head towards Siddhi Vinayak Temple close to Udyam Nagar. There is also a huge place with lots of shops selling Ganesh Idols. The place was really crowded with lots of people taking these idols home with lots of music around. After a quick darshan at the temple and after some shopping we finally head out of Kolhapur by 11:30AM. By the time we make our way through the crowded streets of Kolhapur and onto NH4 it’s a little before noon. As soon as I touch NH4 and turn right a little further ahead is a huge HP Fuel Station. I stop here to fill up diesel. The place is huge and has got very clean washrooms. Full tank of diesel and mileage I got was an amazing 22.23kmpl.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040655.jpg
Ganesh Chaturthi festivities in Kolhapur.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040659.jpg
People takign home Ganesh Idols for the festival.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040662.jpg
Almost any street we travelled in Kolhapur, bands like these were playing loud music.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040663.jpg
Ganesh Chaturthi festivities in Kolhapur.

We then continue our drive towards Bangalore and try and maintain a constant speed of 100-110kmph. Next destination is Gokak Water Falls which is about 65kms away from NH4 after Sankeshwar Town. Looking at nix1976in’s travelogue I included Gokak Falls in the last minute while planning the road trip. I was directed to take the Sankeshwar – Gokak road to reach Gokak Falls. But while on NH4 traveling on Day 1 towards Kolhapur I had noticed a sign board towards Gokak Waterfalls right after a toll booth.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040671.jpg
NH4 out of Kolhapur.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040674.jpg
NH4 out of Kolhapur towards Bangalore.

So I just went past Sankeshwar which is about 65kms from Kolhapur and before the toll booth I took a left towards Gokak. The road was a 2 lane with very less traffic and well done road surface. But after about 5-8kms the super smooth tarmac abruptly ended and we started off-roading. The road conditions kept worsening and had to ask for help from locals about an alternate path towards Gokak. Was directed towards a narrow single lane road towards a village called Sultanpur from where I will be able to join Sankeshwar – Gokak which is in very good condition. The narrow road took me through many small villages and bridges enroute and finally at Sultanpur I joined the super smooth newly done Sankeshwar – Gokak road. The road was super smooth and in about less than an hour we are at Gokak Town and another 5-6kms from here up a small hill takes you to Gokak Waterfalls next to Gokak Mills.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040675.jpg
The intial super smooth road towards Gokak which later turned to be a bad decision.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040680.jpg
One of the small streams we crossed finding our way back to Sankeshwar – Gokak road.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040683.jpg
The neat Sankeshwar – Gokak Road.

As we near the parking lot I can hear the roar of the waterfall. After parking the car we walk towards Ghataprabha River before it plunges about 170ft. There is a narrow suspension bridge for people to walk to the other side of the river. To view the waterfalls better one has to cross the river using this bridge which is built just before the river takes the leap. The suspension bridge looked sturdy, reinforced by steel cables, and one concrete pillar halfway across. But the walk on wooden planks which have gaps between them and the whole bloody bridge swaying once in a while made the experience scary. We held on to the ropes while walking and the sight of the river flowing below made it an amazing experience. We safely got on to the other end and after walking up a few steps we could view the Waterfalls. After taking some snaps and spending some time looking at the waterfalls we decided to head back. Again after the scary walk on the suspension bridge we are back on Terra firma. There is also the century old Gokak Mills built during the in the British Raj which is functional even today. By the time we drive out of the parking lot near Gokak Mills it’s about 3:00PM and very much behind schedule. Back to Gokak town and after driving through Sankeshwar – Gokak road we rejoin NH4 continue our drive towards Bangalore.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040687.jpg
Entrance to the suspension bridge over River Ghataprabha.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040693.jpg
The place where River Ghataprabha takes the plunge. Photo taken from the hanging bridge.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040694.jpg
Ghataprabha River.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040719.jpg
Gokak Waterfalls.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040708.jpg
Ghataprabha River taking the leap.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040713.jpg
Ghataprabha River after the Gokak Falls.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040722.jpg
Gokak Waterfalls.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040724.jpg
Gokak Waterfalls.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040732.jpg
The scary suspension bridge over River Ghataprabha.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040738.jpg
Ghataprabha River.

At about 4:30PM, we drive into Belgaum City and have some a light meal near the Bus Stand. We also buy some “Kunda” (delicious sweet which is the specialty of Belgaum) at Purohit Sweets near to the Bus Stand and rejoin NH4. Nearing Haveri it gets dark and I still have another 380kms to drive. After stopping at a fuel station for short restroom break, I start tailing a White MH12 registered Scorpio which was doing good speeds safely. I maintain a reasonable distance and tail the Scorpio. For the next 2 hours I tail the Scorpio till Chitradurga when he pulls over. I just flash my lights and honk to thank him. If the MH12 White Scorpio Driver is reading this, my sincere thanks to you. I continue my drive ahead and before Hiriyur we stop at a restaurant attached to a HP Fuel Station on the right hand side of NH4. After an average dinner, by 10:30PM we continue our drive towards Bangalore. Cross Tumkur and reach outskirts of Bangalore around midnight. Take the NICE road towards Kanakapura Road and reach home in Jayanagar in the next 30mins.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040749.jpg
NH4 towards Bangalore.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040754.jpg
3000kms completed on the tripmeter.

Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!-p1040755.jpg
NH4 close to Hiriyur.

The Road trip to Maharashtra has finally come to an end and I logged about 3147kms on Odo. Highest kilometers travelled in a road trip and also the longest drive (790kms) on a single day. The Swift D performed brilliantly, returning top class mileage and performance as always. Just a small hiccup with the flat tyre we had at Mahabaleshwar the entire road trip went smoothly. Visiting Maharashtra in rains was so very beautiful and completely exceeded my expectations. In the end we were very happy with the outcome of our trip and will continue to do many more recce into Maharashtra.

The End...
dreamdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2010, 18:10   #95
Team-BHP Support

That was quite a drive! I would be happy if I can do half the places you visited in double the time!
Old 12th October 2010, 02:40   #96
BHPian

DD, Great snaps once again. Watta trip it was interms of coverage of places & interms of greenery!

I visited Gokok Falls 8 months ago. It was not in the right season. But i did that, as i had travelled to Dharwad for some other purpose.

I had taken this route:

Bangalore - Tumkur - Davanagere - Hubli - Dharwad - Saudhatti - Renuka Sagar - Monali - Yeraghatti - Gokak.

Road was fine all the way to Gokak. Even after Dharwad.
Old 12th October 2010, 10:48   #97
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Excellent log there DD. Sad that it came to an end. So the next time you plan a trip to Maharashtra, remember to include Kaas as one of the pitstops.

And Gokak falls does look amazing. The suspension bridge doesn't look scary, but all the people on that looks scary indeed. Is there any restriction as to how many persons will be allowed to walk on it at a time?

The road looks very inviting. And I'm starting off today towards coastal karnataka
Old 13th October 2010, 15:56   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That was quite a drive! I would be happy if I can do half the places you visited in double the time!
Thank you Amp for following the thread closely.. A few days on this road trip I had to do long distances. Not sure whether I will be able to do it again, as I could feel the strain driving long distances.

But as long as the road is good and the weather is fine, I can go on and on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
DD, Great snaps once again. Watta trip it was interms of coverage of places & interms of greenery!

I visited Gokok Falls 8 months ago. It was not in the right season. But i did that, as i had travelled to Dharwad for some other purpose.

I had taken this route:

Bangalore - Tumkur - Davanagere - Hubli - Dharwad - Saudhatti - Renuka Sagar - Monali - Yeraghatti - Gokak.

Road was fine all the way to Gokak. Even after Dharwad.
Thank you pramod. Visiting Gokak Falls for the first time and I loved the place. Monsoons are always the best time anywhere in karnataka to visit waterfalls.

Yes the route you have mentioned is good is anybody wanting to travel to Gokak directly from Dharwad. The route via Sankeshwar is longer but very good roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Excellent log there DD. Sad that it came to an end. So the next time you plan a trip to Maharashtra, remember to include Kaas as one of the pitstops.

And Gokak falls does look amazing. The suspension bridge doesn't look scary, but all the people on that looks scary indeed. Is there any restriction as to how many persons will be allowed to walk on it at a time?

The road looks very inviting. And I'm starting off today towards coastal karnataka
Thank you MX6. I will defnitely include Kaas and also Lonar Crater. There are a lot many must visit places that i have missed which I intend to cover next time I travle to MH. Thanks for following the thread closely.

Gokak Falls was very beautiful and different from other waterfalls in Karnataka. The suspension bridge looks safe and is actually well built and sturdy. But when you start walking on it and swaying increases it gets scary. Actually the bridge is built for the Gokak Mill workers as the poster in one of the pics suggests. But we saw many tourists taking the bridge.

Perfect timing to visit places at Coastal Karnataka. Happy Driving MX6....
Old 13th October 2010, 16:38   #99
Senior - BHPian

Very nice pictures again DD. I loved the pictures of Gokak falls. Is that a Hydel power station at the bottom of the falls? Even the hanging bridge looks pretty old.
Old 15th October 2010, 20:53   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Very nice pictures again DD. I loved the pictures of Gokak falls. Is that a Hydel power station at the bottom of the falls? Even the hanging bridge looks pretty old.

Thank Addy. There is a small power Hydel power station located at the bottom of the waterfall which was used to generate power for the nearby Gokak Mills. I am not sure whether its used at present. The hanging bridge is pretty old. The bridge was originally built by the British for workers from nearby villages to come to work at Gokak Mills.
Old 16th May 2013, 11:47   #101
BHPian

Re: Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!

i would recommend all to take this route especially after the monsoons as the whole konkan is just like a beautiful canvas.thanks to dream diesel for posting such wonderful snaps and accounts of his travel for fellow bhpians
Old 19th May 2013, 22:22   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
As per some of my friends, Kolhapuri chappals are not made in Kolhapur.
These chappals are mainly made at the town of Sankeshwar on Kolhapur-Belgaum nh4.
Correct. They are made in & around Sankeshwar - Athani.

The name came up because this part of the country was part of the kingdom of the Maharaja of Kolhapur.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 11:24   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Day 9 (11th September, 2010): Kolhapur – Sankeshwar – Gokak Town – Sankeshwar – Belgaum – Dharwad – Hubli – Haveri – Ranebennur – Harihar – Davangere – Chitradurga – Hiriyur – Sira – Tumkur – Bangalore
Folks, what are the staying options at Gokak falls? Any first hand reviews? I am planning a visit this monsoons .
Old 4th June 2013, 12:07   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Folks, what are the staying options at Gokak falls? Any first hand reviews? I am planning a visit this monsoons .
From what i remember there is a good resort(actually a hotel with attached garden!) just outside Gokak on the road to the falls. Google search it.

And do post a route of how you can see the falls from the bottom/rh side of the river.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 12:14   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
From what i remember there is a good resort(actually a hotel with attached garden!) just outside Gokak on the road to the falls. Google search it.

And do post a route of how you can see the falls from the bottom/rh side of the river.
Thanks sridhar.
Is it possible to see those falls from bottom side? I could not find any reference or photos which can tell that.
And I was just googling about Gokak and found that there is one more falls nearby named Godachinmalki falls.

Link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godchinamalaki_Falls

It seems a search on Tbhp is showing no results. Nobody visited?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks