Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2010, 21:34   #16
BHPian

Wow!its always an amazing experience to spot a fully grown male tiger in the wild.Looking at the muscle of the King of the Jungle up cloes is spine chilling.Its really a Rare encounter,congrats.
Old 5th October 2010, 20:22   #17
BHPian

Looking at the pictures, it looks that you guys were very close to that male Tiger. But won't the Tiger attack in such situations? It is after all an open Gypsy. Is it really safe to go on a Tiger safari in those Gypsies? I'm very curious to know about it. Also, were there any previous reports of Tigers attacking humans (in Gypsies) during a safari.
Old 5th October 2010, 23:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Looking at the pictures, it looks that you guys were very close to that male Tiger. But won't the Tiger attack in such situations? It is after all an open Gypsy. Is it really safe to go on a Tiger safari in those Gypsies? I'm very curious to know about it. Also, were there any previous reports of Tigers attacking humans (in Gypsies) during a safari.

No tigers never attack humans...that also in such HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEE crowd of people.

On a better note. ....Tigers are picky in their choices.
Old 6th October 2010, 13:51   #19
BHPian

I guess a Lion safari in an open gypsy should be dangerous. Isn't it?
Old 17th October 2010, 19:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Videos of sighthing Agasthya the tiger in Bandipur

Here are some videos from mobile cam. enjoy.

Old 18th October 2010, 11:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

That was excellent we go on a safari to spot these animals.I was there last month in Bandipur we traveled almost close to 4hrs in these jungles but could not spot a tiger we could see a lot of bisons langur birds.Lucky guys for spotting the tiger and thanks for sharing.
Old 10th December 2010, 23:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: All in a Days Drive.. Bandipur..

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post

Travel time : 4.5 hrs to Bandipur.
Stay at Jungle Lodges & Resorts.
I am planning to go to Bandipur next-week can you please let me know about your stay at Jungle Lodges & Resorts, how would you rate it overall.
Old 5th January 2011, 11:55   #23
BHPian

Would it be possible to make a trip to Bandipur as a one day drive from Bangalore? As in drive through Bandipur and then head back instead of proceeding further towards Masinagudi?
Old 5th January 2011, 17:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Would it be possible to make a trip to Bandipur as a one day drive from Bangalore? As in drive through Bandipur and then head back instead of proceeding further towards Masinagudi?
Some tips to make your decision:
1) Budget for 3-and-a-half hours drive for onward journey. This is assuming you will start early morning, drive non-stop and cross Mysore-Nanjangud before peak-timings in the stretch.
2) Since you drove non-stop till Bandipur, a good choice for breakfast could be Bandipur Plaza just before you enter the forest-area
3) The forest office that arranges Safari, Elephant ride and also a mini-musuem opens around 9 AM, I think. Even if you opt out of Safari & Elephant ride, please spend a few minutes to enjoy the exhibits in the museum (dont know a better word for the place/buiding)
4) Budget for 4-hours on your return. The incoming traffic to Bangalore will be high anytime and also you may need to break for dinner in between.

If you are just driving inside the forest area, drive till the very end past the Masinagudi turn-off upto Hotel Harithagiri which comes on your right just at the exit of WLS. You can break for tea+snacks and perhaps make some shopping there.
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:00   #25
BHPian

Happen to see this picture of Tiger and cubs crossing at Bandipur forest in 'Mathrubhumi New Paper' today --> http://images.mathrubhumi.com/flashp..._Dai_22140.pdf

Just wondering who caught this wonderful picture.

@smsrini, any such experiences...???

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

A Tigress with 4 healthy cubs. Looks like they are about 4 months old. Good begining for the Tiger population. There is one in Pench - The Collarwaali who has given birth to 5 cubs and is successfully raising them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post

Happen to see this picture of Tiger and cubs crossing at Bandipur forest in 'Mathrubhumi New Paper' today --> http://images.mathrubhumi.com/flashp..._Dai_22140.pdf

Just wondering who caught this wonderful picture.

Rajesh
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:56   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
it is very rare to spot a tiger in Bandipur for 2 reasons
1) it is a huge forest and most of the areas (tiger territories) are not accessible/open to safaris - Please correct me if i am wrong
2) huge undergrowth actually makes it impossible to look at great distances and tiger could be hiding anywhere in the bushes
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel_newbie View Post
it is very rare to spot a tiger in Bandipur for 2 reasons
1) it is a huge forest and most of the areas (tiger territories) are not accessible/open to safaris - Please correct me if i am wrong
2) huge undergrowth actually makes it impossible to look at great distances and tiger could be hiding anywhere in the bushes
True. Core areas are not accessible to visitors or safaris. Generally, there are tourism zones only within which the visitors are allowed. But, you must understand that getting into the core zone of the Reserve, will not guarantee you a sighting of the tiger. Also, this does not mean that the visitors cannot see a tiger in the tourism zone.

One of my friends, who took part in the tiger census in Jan 2010 narrated an experience of a couple of his colleagues. The two guys were alloted to Maleyoor Range of Bandipur Tiger Reserve. For 3 days, they walked through the forest while doing the census and didn't find anything apart from deer (they found scat, pugmarks etc but not the tiger). After the 3rd day, they got on to a bus to get back home, disappointed for not seeing the tiger. Imagine their luck, when the bus moved a few hundred meters from the village, they see a huge tiger crossing the road.

These guys scoured the forest for three days and did not find anything, but they see a tiger on a public road while sitting in a KSRTC bus.

In the end, it all depends on luck

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks