Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2010, 18:58   #16
BHPian

@SVB, thanks for your appreciation. Well, the next time we feel like going to an island we'll take your cue and go to Lakshadweep. But in the near future I am planning to visit Goa and laze out on the beach there and devour Goan fish. Sorry, I do not have any picture of the insides of the room. It was a simple clean room with comfortable space for two; clean bed, clean bathroom, sink outside. Not recommended for family with kids; but pretty good for a couple.

@MX6, thanks for the correct spelling of the temple-name. We could have returned there in the evening, but were hard-pressed for time. Unfortunately, I do not have other pictures of Chennai. Well, Netaji does not need any font to support his persona, but it does say a thing about my comment on the price and worth of our freedom.
Old 6th November 2010, 11:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

@Gostel: Good travelogue and amazing pictures. These pictures are making me sad that I had to cancel my Andamans trip at the last moment this year. Intend to definitely do next year.

BTW since you were on LTC, I would understand you are in the government. Did you try to go to Nicobar islands? Understand not everybody is allowed there. Also did you visit Baratang Island and the mud volcanoes in the North Andaman?
Old 6th November 2010, 12:04   #18

Wonderful pics and a great travelogue. The Andamans is on my travel itinerary and I would like to go there soon. Your travelogue will serve as a guide for me, as and when I go
Old 6th November 2010, 17:02   #19
BHPian

Thanks MileCruncher and Safedriver for your kind comments.
Well, this was a rather compact touristy visit. Going to Baratang would take another two days. Nicobar islands are quite distant from Port Blair. I don't know why working for the government should allow me to visit Nicobar.The Anthropology museum in Port Blair is must see spot. Too bad I left my camera behind for here they have all the stuff about the tribes, their homes, their tools, and their weapons. Of the six tribes, only the Nicobarese are literate. I would beg the next T-BHPian visitor to Andamans to get back pictures from this museum.
Old 8th November 2010, 23:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

@gostel: I am going to the islands from 30th Dec to 6th Jan. Me wife and two kids aged 5 and 1 yr old. Could you please help me in chalking out how to go about it there. What to see and what to give a go bye. Will be landing on the morning of 30th and then flying out on 6th morning. Also how much time would you recomend we spend at PortBlair and havelock. If possible I am planning to drive the Island highway(team bhp blood you see, lol) too, as I have read that it is a unique way to see the islands.
Old 9th November 2010, 19:01   #21
BHPian

@wanderernomad, gosh you have lots of days at hand. Port Blair local sight seeing can be the done the first day that you land there. One day you can do the harbor cruise that takes you to two islands: North Bay Island, and Ross Island. The third island (Viper) is best skipped, especially with kids at hand. Havelock is lovely and you could spend three days (two nights) there, but the food scene there for kids is something I am not sure of. Coconut is good food however. rk_sans has good experience of staying back at Havelock. The highway drive to north Andamans is what is exciting for you and that would take two days I guess.
I did not yet chuck out the visiting card given to me by Ajith. He is a small-time tour operator; a lovely person but a bit naive on planning the best combination. However, you could use his services well if you have your own plan and chalk out stuff with him. PM me if you need any assistance. Enjoy your trip and drive safe.
Old 11th November 2010, 16:20   #22
BHPian

@wanderernomad, i was in the andamans (8 days) in the first week of november 2010.Spent 2 nights in havelock and 2 nights in Neil island. Havelock was the best experience, not surprisingly. Neil has 4 beaches and all 4 differ from each other in some ways. Accomodation and food options are limited in Neil so since you have kids i would suggest you book the government controlled resort 'Hawabill' (has A/C rooms).

I had originally planned for a single day in Neil but due to cyclonic weather, all ships got cancelled. The next day the ship (MV Chouldhari) took us back to port blair in a storm. Quite an experience! Please make sure you reach Port blair one or two days before your departure from andaman as the weather can change dramatically. Of course, the weather should be much better at the end of Dec

Check out island vinnie resort in Havelock. Affordable, 30 seconds from the beach and is not far from the main market place. If you plan on renting a 2 wheeler in Havelock, buy petrol from the 'Hi-land' stores. From what i heard, they are a trust worthy lot. I highly recommend Scuba diving in Elephant beach. Cost is upto 4k per person. PM me if you need more info.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks