Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 10:55   #1
BHPian

Tioman Island (Malaysia) - New Year unplanned

New Year 2010 and no plans was in mind until christmas. A sudden rush in the mind said whats the plan? where to go? if planned, who all will accompany? This sudden rush bothered the mind and made restless in office.

Possible discussed destinations:
Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia or HongKong

2 of my collegues said YEAH WE CAN before even the destination was decided but was arguing to plan something different from usual. so 3 idiots (we are in software industry) to take the trip.

Cool HongKong was decided ... checked all airlines and none had even a single ticket free. One airlines even said they dont have any free ticket until end of new year eve to any destination. Became sad as already HK was running inside mind.

Opened EAST ASIA MAP and was browsing just like seeing a hotel menu. Something stucked in eyes in a corner. TIOMON... whats that ... never even heard before ... and did it need an aircraft to carry us there ... nooooo ... kwel ... so decided to proceed from Singpore to Tioman via Taxi.

PLAN
Enter Malaysia via causeway (Johar Bahru) -> Johar Bahru to Mersing -> Mersing to Tioman islands via ferry ... Vice Versa ...

DURATION
3Days 2 Nights

TRANSPORT MODE
Taxi/Ferry

Unplanned trip is always fun and we had a lot on the way. More to follow ...
Old 17th November 2010, 12:57   #2
BHPian

DAY1: Mersing

Started from Singapore by around 8AM. Had Breakfast in Johar Bahru and headed towards mersing in Taxi. That three hours journey was simple cool as all 3 of us slept till mersing (We are Stupids). DOES UNPLANNED TRIPS MAKE YOU SLEEP... Naa ... That 3 hours sleep in the morning left us awake late night that day which had loads of fun.

Reached Mersing around 12PM to catch a ferry to Tioman (which was the initial plan). But seeing the isolated South China Sea beach was shocked. Water at shores had resided back to an extent that we all doubted something might be wrong. The ferry guys said any further ferry to Tioman for the day has been cancelled due to water residing back and siting the reason that the ferry cannot take away from the station due to no depth in water.

Only option left was to stay in Mersing that night and continue to ferry the next day morning.Had little idea what we are gonna do the rest of the day in mersing. First hunted for a place to stay. Thats were the fun started. We rented a bunglow (We called it a Bhooth Bunglow due to its deserted feel).

(Bhooth)Bunglow we stayed ... More Bhooth story to follow
Attached Thumbnails
Tioman Island (Malaysia) - New Year unplanned-mal.jpg  

Old 17th November 2010, 13:13   #3
BHPian

The bungalow sure has an eerie yet charming feeling to it. Nice start to the log Swooper, awaiting the BHOOT story to unfold!
Old 17th November 2010, 13:20   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

A friend of mine visited this place last year for a golfing holiday.
What brilliant pictures he shared with me when he came back!

I believe it is truly superb - untouched and untamed nature - the golf course in particular is a once in a lifetime kind of experience as per his feedback.
Old 17th November 2010, 14:49   #5
BHPian

DAY1 evening @ Friday Market - Mersing

Before our so called Bhooth experiences, let me describe about Mersing and that evening of Day1. Mersing is a small town mostly deserted. Except its a ferry take off ground to nearby islands it does not possess much. There was a Friday market (DAY1 was a friday) which was actually the only time pass we had. But not knowing much about Malaysian traditions in trade it was quiet knowledgeable time pass.

Friday Evening Market (Temporary stalls set every Friday evenings). Was wonderful to see this place the next day when the market was vacated. Had no signs of trade happened the previous night. Some yummy experiences. Tasted Malaysian tradtional foods like Roti Prata, murtabak, Chicken Sticks etc ...

Did we digest all these foods when we went back home? Was anything waiting for us back at home? Yes ... there was .., more to follow..

Meantime some snaps for your eyes
Attached Thumbnails
Tioman Island (Malaysia) - New Year unplanned-1.jpg  

Tioman Island (Malaysia) - New Year unplanned-2.jpg  

Tioman Island (Malaysia) - New Year unplanned-3.jpg  

Tioman Island (Malaysia) - New Year unplanned-4.jpg  

Tioman Island (Malaysia) - New Year unplanned-5.jpg  

Tioman Island (Malaysia) - New Year unplanned-6.jpg  

Old 17th November 2010, 15:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting Travelogue, bring it on buddy. i am glued to your thread.
Old 17th November 2010, 15:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Delicious looking travelogue, pictures are yummy .
Awaiting more info on Tioman.
Old 17th November 2010, 16:37   #8
BHPian

DAY1/NIGHT1 - Lurking the rented place

After tasted a stomach filling malaysian dinner and nowhere to go thought of returning back to our Bunglow. Being a small town even the street lights were not that bright. It was glowing dull just for the need. I and other 2 friends were walking on the deserted street towards our deserted bunglow. Since we were chatting and discussing only petty craps all the way, didnt even feel street lights were scary say for a lone guy to walk. As we headed close to the bunglow, I was able to see the bunglow from a distance where my heart felt first time a bit scary (it was late afternoon when we rented this place at that point was looking BIG but nothing close to scary).

We had this chat just before entering the bunglow
Me: "Buddy... Is this the same place which we came afternoon.. looks bit creepy at night".
Friend1: "Its nothing to feel creepy. There is less light around and that could be the reason. ..B u t .. yes there is actually less light around" He turned and was seeing the street we walked all thru.
Friend2: "Wow .. this is fun. I have never stayed in such a BIG deserted building before. Although its bit creepy as he said but nothing to scream"
Me: "What? Nothing to scream... Are you nuts. Guys.. I admit you 2 are brave than me. Lets walk inside"

After entering the bunglow, things were nothing much to feel creepy other than the feel that the bunglow was bigger than required (atlest for us). I never will even think buying such a BIG place to recide even if money permits. Close to 5 bedrooms (although we were given keys to just one bedroom), a big kitchen (are they gonna cook for a party) and pretty BIG living room (hell BIG that we can play street cricket here). I wondered how come they let us rent such a huge place for very nominal rent.

No one slept as we had a good 3 hours sleep in the morning in our taxi. The other 2 were chatting inside the bedroom. Thats were my photographic senses started to feel hungry. Huge house, lights everywhere in the rooms. Decided to zoom things which I felt unique.

I opened the backyard gate on the course (when I have camera in hand I forget world). In this case, never even remembered what was discussion few hours back (CREEPY, SCARY etc...) Kitchen was at the end and I kept proceeding. The last 2 snaps were at the backyard. Camera work was going good until I heard that sound. Did i forget to say it was a creepy sound ....
Attached Thumbnails

Tioman Island (Malaysia) - New Year unplanned-creep.jpg  

Old 18th November 2010, 19:20   #9
BHPian

DAY2 - Towards Tioman

Woke up early in the morning. 8AM is the ferry to Tioman. Tioman is a small island, a 45 minute drive from mersing. Morning was bliss to watch the town life. Shot few snaps all around the way to the ferry station. It was a 10 minute walk to ferry station. Even morning looked deserted in mersing. Thought it was due to our Singapore feel. In Singapore, morning peak hours are between 6:30 to 8:30 AM where you can see most of the roads with heavy traffic. Around 9AM roads become normal (A very much different scene from Indian cities

Had a light breakfast with Italian bread, vanilla cake and black coffee (That was the best we could get apart from the known prata’s). Headed to the ferry station and there was decent crowd in the ferry. 2 ferries head to Tioman in the morning and 1 by afternoon if water does not reside back (mostly water resides back around 12 to 1 PM).

Few snaps taken on the way to the ferry station. .. Our Tioman ride to follow …
Attached Thumbnails

Tioman Island (Malaysia) - New Year unplanned-8.jpg  

Old 18th November 2010, 21:55   #10
BHPian

DAY2 - On the Sea

45 minute ride to Tioman was a unique experience. Ferry ride felt suffocating hence we went to the back of the ferry which was open; to see the beautiful South China Sea. Sea was looking rough but the open view provided a superb experience. Many unmanned islands on the way gave treat to our eyes and cameras eyes.

Ferry was riding with heavy jerks like riding in a horse. Tioman attracts lots of westerners who plan a silent and crowd less vacation. It was a unique experience to view the sea brown at some places, blue at some and black at few places. But all around Tioman the water was blue. Close to the shores it was crystal blue.

We met an Iranian couple who flew all the way to East Asia and decided Tioman only after reaching Malaysia main land. Such is this tourist spot. unvisited by many due to its limits on island size. Its a bliss only to nature lovers.

No phone, No internet, No television. We were sure that we are heading to a deserted island but the natural exquisiteness with a thrilling, stunning, memorable, picturesque trip we have never seen before in life waited for us …Few snaps on the way to the aquatic heaven …
Attached Thumbnails

Tioman Island (Malaysia) - New Year unplanned-7.jpg  

Tioman Island (Malaysia) - New Year unplanned-8.jpg  

Tioman Island (Malaysia) - New Year unplanned-9.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com