Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2010, 23:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

A nice picnic spot just outside Nizamabad

This is not of the calibre of the travelogues this forum regularly sees posted, but I thought I should share some words about this location that we came across recently en route Basar from Hyderabad. We hit the spot on our way back.

It's called Ashoka Rock Garden and it abuts Ashok Sagar lake between Nizamabad and Jankampet. Here's the map.

There's a nominal entry fee (INR 3) per person. There's also supposed to be a parking charge but it wasn't collected from us. In any case there is no marked or dedicated, walled-off/fenced-off parking area. You just drop off the highway and park near the gate.

There is boating on the lake as well, and the rock garden itself makes for some fascinating viewing in a couple of spots. Here are some photos from our stop there -

A nice picnic spot just outside Nizamabad-p1050886.jpg
Statue of Goddess Saraswati in the middle of the Ashok Sagar lake, taken as the boat circled around the statue.

A nice picnic spot just outside Nizamabad-p1050893.jpg
A view of the restaurant from the boat. The restaurant is well-stocked with packed foodstuffs, but don't expect to find a functional kitchen there (blame the lack of regular visitors).

A nice picnic spot just outside Nizamabad-p1050882.jpg
The wake caused by the boat.

One thing to note is that the boat will not move unless there are 10 people. Something to keep in mind. The ride charges are very nominal. I don't remember the exact figure now.

A nice picnic spot just outside Nizamabad-p1050909.jpg
The landscaped rock garden.

A nice picnic spot just outside Nizamabad-p1050910.jpg
A winding path in the garden in the midst of some rocks.

A nice picnic spot just outside Nizamabad-p1050911.jpg
This is the highlight of the place for me. Take a look at that tree which seems like it's growing out from a rock!

I wouldn't call this a picnic spot in the sense of requiring a dedicated drive/visit to just this place, but it's a nice break on the way to some other destination.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 21st November 2010 at 23:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks