Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 11:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! I am really shocked. That should take a lot courage and spirit to do such journey. Hats off to them.
@ac427, thanks a lot for sharing such wonderful travelogue.
Old 29th November 2010, 18:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Still confused whether this falls in the category of "Adventurous Sprit" or " Absolute stupidity". But then when I think again, I must admit that it is these few individual's who show us that sometimes you can achieve wonders if you really dare to push yourself. Thus it must be Adventurous Sprit then.
The best things in life happen when you have the option of doing something sensbile vis -a - vis something stupid. this is one of those. I have a small annecdote to share here... this is 2 years back. I have a std 350, and had planned a single day trip from mumbai - shirdi - mumbai. We started @ 4 a.m reached by 10.00 a.m finished our darshan by 11.30 a.m. So we had time to spare.
We decided to go to shani shignapur, that trip did me in, the roads were so bad, my bulls rear wheels 16 spokes broke. Then I had to hunt for someone who could replace spokes, apparently mechanics can't do that. By the time everything was done, it was 7 p.m.

Then me and my gf, then questioned should we start @ 7.00 p.m from shirdi and brave riding in the night, brave the highway traffic, brave the cold or stay back in shirdi itself and leave the next day morning.

We do the stupid bit. We start riding in the night, I ride continuously from 8 p.m to 12.a.m and by now i am v sleepy, dreary and tired and the inevitable happens.I go off to sleep on my bike and we go off road. We both fall of the bike, thank fully I was v slow, but painfully the bike falls on the right side, and the bike falls on my leg, and the 4 hour hot exhaust pipe is on my calf.
My skin burns, and so do my calf muscles, I get up clean my legs, check if my gf is okay, thank fully she is.

Now at this time, I hunt for hlep only to find myself helpless. I drag my bike for a km, and come accross this hotel. I go in there ask for help. And there I find the most generous man on planet earth.

Even though there were no rooms i his hotel, he gave me and my gf, his room to stay the night in. We rested there the night, and when i woke up in the morning, I saw this man repairing my bike.

He repaired my bike too...

So the stupidest decision I made, gave me the experience that my sensible decision wouldn't have let me have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Forums like t-bhp are so big purely because of this, sharing of knowledge and information.
Old 29th November 2010, 19:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Wow!! I am really shocked. That should take a lot courage and spirit to do such journey. Hats off to them.
+1 to that.
Looks like even more dangerous than getting stuck in the wilderness, was getting stuck with the corrupt local cops who wanted to squeeze out their money for everything. Or running into the local terrorists and villagers all living below the poverty line waiting to lay their hands on anything for free.
Old 30th November 2010, 15:40   #19
BHPian

what an amazing travelogue. Was glued to it till I finished reading the entire thread.

Only wonder, why there was not a single video and only pics!
Old 30th November 2010, 20:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks v much for sharing this. A very captivating report that I read from start to finish in one go.
A true example of true love for travel, determination, courage and passion.
I wish them luck in all their future endeavors.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 1st December 2010, 17:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for sharing this link. I could not do anything else until I finished reading it. Kudos to their spirit.

I have heard a lot of stories about Kenya, Tanzania and Sudan from catholic missionaries working over there. The stories from Tanzania and Sudan were sad. I also met the priest from Kerala (working in Sudan) who was kidnapped by a group in Sudan and he spent two years with them before he was released. They had some incredible stories to tell.

Now think for a moment, where India would have been, if there was no corruption in India.

Last edited by pjbiju : 1st December 2010 at 17:26.
Old 1st December 2010, 17:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

What a travelogue. Read the entire stuff over 2 days. The guts and the courage these guys have to do something on such a huge scale is really something which cannot be explained in words. Also, this is just a part of their entire travels.

Now, I understand what a travelogue really means. Hats off.
Old 1st December 2010, 19:32   #23
BHPian

No words to describe this. It made for a great read and was into it even before I logged into tbhp.

Human ingenuity and perserverance knows no bounds - this travelog truly epitomises it.

In hindsight - all the daily issues with traffic, minor road rage incidents seem pretty trivial compared to what this couple has endured in their journey.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:43   #24
BHPian

After reading a few appriciations .. i started reading the expedition.
Havent seen a drive more difficult and herculean than this. Every new path offered a new test, a new challenge to overcome...

Last edited by MohsinRoadster : 2nd December 2010 at 10:51.
Old 3rd December 2010, 02:08   #25
BHPian

An eye and brain opener of a travel Logue. Been reading it past 3 days in between work in office and so far reached page 52. A 100 exhaust salute to the couple.

We got the 2011 holiday list today at work and good to see many holidays on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. A lot of riding/driving plans to be chalked.
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:58   #26
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the link. Never read such an engrossing travelogue on the net before. Amazing. Read the whole thing over the last weekend.
Old 5th December 2010, 00:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Just finished reading it, its mind blowing. Really awesome stuff.
Old 16th December 2010, 19:25   #28
BHPian

Re: First People to drive through Congo.

That was mind blowing stuff. I was reading it since last 2 days continuously.
The way they got stuck, with the rear axle not working is just amazing.

Loved their attitude not to give in to corruption.

I wish all Indians had same attitude and courage.
Old 22nd April 2011, 16:14   #29
BHPian

OMG ! This I guess, by far, is the best travelogue I have read. Hats off to these guys for achieving this ! Went through all the 80 pages in a go, took me one whole night
Old 22nd April 2011, 18:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! this is great. It reminded me of reading an amazing expedition trek of Mike Fay in 2001 National Geographic. Read on. It gave me goosebumps when i read it then and now again

Adventure July/August 2001 @ nationalgeographic.com

Outpost: Congo Trek @ nationalgeographic.com

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks