Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 12:35   #1
BHPian

Thane - Shirdi - Thane

Went to bed friday night thinking I needed to go to Shirdi to seek blessings as I had been putting it off for sometime now. Woke up at 4 am. Wife and son were fast asleep. They did not wish to join me this time around as it was going to be a whirlwind. Showered and coffee 'ed and was downstairs at a little over 5. Started the diesel innova (friend's) and warmed her up for a minute before slipping it into 1st. 5.15 am.

Crossed the last stretch with divider just before the junction where the Bhiwandi road joins (about 35 kms from Thane I think) and hit two nasty speed breakers. They are still doing up the road and so its a mess for the initial part. But soon my woes turned to joy as most of the stretch is already done up. Before I knew, I had crossed Shahpur and was climbing the one way ghats at 6.40. A word of caution - there are local taxi jeeps which come from Kasara on the wrong side and they dont even care to honk so be careful till you cross Kasara on the ghats.

Passed Manas at 6.50 and reached the Ghoti junction at 7. By my own past benchmarks, this was a first. The first 20 minutes were painful and i had half a mind to turn around and take the Nasik route. Saw a lot of pilgrims walking barefoot and got inspired. Drove along slowly and then the road was much better and superb to drive on. Reached Sinnar at 8. Again the first few minutes were horrible with road widening being done. Still managed to reach Shirdi at 9. Parked into Goradia's as I usually do and freshened up to stand in the general queue for darshan. I would have bought the Rs100 ticket but did not feel like. Darshan got over in 90 minutes and by 11.30 I was out and just as I was driving out of Goradia's, the security guy asked me for 50 bucks parking charge. They had become smarter after all these years. Smiled and paid them and took the back road (through sun n sand) to come out at CCD on the main road. Had a coffee and a sandwich and resumed the journey at 12 30pm to reach Thane by 4 15. Realised that the front right wheel cap had fallen off somwhere

Total kms covered up and down - 440.
Total Fuel Burnt - 40 litres
Approx Mileage with 100% ac on - 11kmpl
Time taken - 11 hours
Running time - 7 hours, 30 minutes

I will post some pics that I clicked. Not a spectacular travelogue but involved Shri Sai Baba so thought I must post.

Just one query - From Sinnar instead of taking left from the main road to Shirdi, is there a way to just go straight and reach Shirdi from the other side?

Last edited by vij4all : 6th December 2010 at 12:38. Reason: typo
Old 6th December 2010, 13:56   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That's a comprehensive report. As for the wheel cap falling off, try recollect which all potholes you ran in to (or a speedbreaker that you flew over). One of them resulted in this!
I lost both my front wheel caps in of my recent drives. Managed to search and find one. Other was gone for good.
Old 4th January 2011, 22:57   #3

Re: Thane - Shirdi - Thane

Hey Vijay / Other Route gurus

Have to prepone my Shirdi trip to this weekend 8th Jan 2011. Have heard some bad things about the Ghoti detour from a colleague who had been there last week. Is going via Nasik a better option?
Old 5th January 2011, 06:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

I heard that the Ghoti-Sinnar road is not in good condition, as per someone who went on it less than 15 days ago.
Old 5th January 2011, 10:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I heard that the Ghoti-Sinnar road is not in good condition, as per someone who went on it less than 15 days ago.
Thank you, @hvkumar.

I will take the Nasik route then. Someone was talking of a detour after Ghoti and before Nasik. Has anyone traversed that route?

I am taking my 3month old baby for her first darshan and would like the travel to be as painless as possible

The plan is to leave Thane around 6 (considering that my wife and elder daughter have to get ready ) . If I manage to finish Darshan and lunch by 2 or 3, I will drive back else I plan to stay for the night and leave in the morning.
Old 5th January 2011, 12:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvinayakam View Post
Thank you, @hvkumar.

I will take the Nasik route then. Someone was talking of a detour after Ghoti and before Nasik. Has anyone traversed that route?
The only other route that I know of is the road via Deolali. Before Nashik (near where you turn off to Ambad MIDC area), you can turn off NH3 and go via Deolali to Nashik Road (where the Nashik railway station is) and join NH50 towards Sinnar/Shirdi/Pune. This is only an option to avoid going via Asoka Circle in Nashik. I have been on the Deolali road many many years ago, and remember it to be a messy narrow road - no idea if they have improved it now.
Old 5th January 2011, 19:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The only other route that I know of is the road via Deolali. Before Nashik (near where you turn off to Ambad MIDC area), you can turn off NH3 and go via Deolali to Nashik Road (where the Nashik railway station is) and join NH50 towards Sinnar/Shirdi/Pune. This is only an option to avoid going via Asoka Circle in Nashik. I have been on the Deolali road many many years ago, and remember it to be a messy narrow road - no idea if they have improved it now.
Thanks a lot @hvkumar Sir. I will update on the status once I make the journey
Old 10th January 2011, 22:32   #8

The trip has been postponed till March due to unavoidable reasons. Will update you guys once I do the trip. Baba ka bulaava aana baaki hai ;(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks