Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2010, 17:54   #16
BHPian

Re: The highway to God's own Country : Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwadhwa View Post
That was a nice log Libran, and some beautiful pictures.

The next time you go to Kerala (Wayanad route), please try the Kanakpura road route. There is about 20 kms of bad roads (All put together) all the way till Gundlupet.
This way you skip Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet and you go Kanakpura road - NH 209 all the way till Chamrajnagar and then detour to Gundlupet.
The roads are narrower, but there is hardly any traffic along this route, and its very scenic. Also takes a shorter time to reach Gundlupet than via Mysore-Nanjangud. There are a lot fewer towns along this route and hence a quicker trip. Once you come out of Gundlupet you come to the main junction where you turn right to Kerala or straight to Bandipur.
Another advantage is beautiful sunset on your way back. Try and time your Gundalpet entry on your way back at about 3pm... this way you will be able to see a very picturesque sunset somewhere along the way, next to a lake or something.. That setup is not available on Mysore road.

Google maps link attached:

BTM Layout, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India to Wayanad, Kerala, India - Google Maps
I am starting on 31st morning i will try this route
aka_iitd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2010, 22:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I am starting on 31st morning i will try this route
I'm also a frequent traveller on this route (the one via Kollegal), but I normally take this route on the way back to Bangalore. When going from Bangalore in the morning, I find the SH-17 route more convenient because I generally start between 5:30 and 6:30 and finding a place for breakfast is much easier if going via Mysore (The traffic on SH-17 is not that bad in the mornings and an additional bonus is the news that they have done some patchups on the Mysore-Nanjangud sector which was a real bottleneck till couple of weeks ago)..

While returning to Bangalore (usually Sunday evenings), I always take the Kanakapura route these days since avoiding the city like traffic on SH17 is in itself a big plus. It takes less time also, but I'm sure I'd prefer to take that route even if it takes say half an hour longer, because it is so much more of a relaxed drive with very sparse traffic.

P.S. I'm also travelling to Calicut on Friday morning, may be we can catch up somewhere on the way - I'm driving a Red Ford Figo (with a Team BHP sticker at the back)
Old 15th December 2015, 12:22   #18
RCD
BHPian

Re: The highway to God's own Country : Wayanad ( Kalpetta)

I first discovered Team BHP before a recent drive from Bangalore to Ladakh and back earlier this year and found the forum most informative. After my return also gave inputs for some others traveling a similar path. However, that is not what this is about.

I will be driving to Wayanad ( Marmalade Springs, Kalpetta ) later this month with my wife and daughter. I have looked for recent input on the forum, but could not find anything in recent months.

I know the route through Mysore, but wanted to use the quieter and more scenic NH 209 ( and also avoid the traffic and spead breakers ).

The last time I used this route was to drive to Ooty early this year. At the time, there was a bridge which was being re-built and while I was able to skirt around it easily on the way up, I got hopelessly lost on the way back. I presume by now the bridge must have been restored, but would like to know for sure.

So wanted to check with anyone who has driven recently on the best route to take & also how long will it take to drive from Bangalore to Kalpetta . I have a 4 WD Automatic Scorpio with Geolander A/T tyres so don't think road conditions will be an issue.

thanks & regards,

RCD
Old 15th December 2015, 13:27   #19
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCD View Post
I will be driving to Wayanad ( Marmalade Springs, Kalpetta ) later this month with my wife and daughter. I have looked for recent input on the forum, but could not find anything in recent months.
Bangalore to Kalpetta should take about 7-8 hours depending on breaks you take.
Some of your options are:
1. Bangalore-Mysore-Mananthavady-Kalpetta. Not sure about current road conditions for the Mysore-Mananthavady-Kalpetta stretch.

2. Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Sulthan Bathery-Kalpetta, this is the usual/standard route most people take. Road conditions are good and as per a recent post, Nanjanagud-Gundlupet widening work is complete too. If taking this route, start by 5am so that Bangalore-Mysore traffic will be less and peaceful. Only other minor irritant may be Mysore-Nanjanagud stretch with few rough patches and some widening work, but this should be manageable. Breakfast stop can be Kamat Madhuvan opposite the Mysore Palace.

3. Bangalore-Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Sulthan Bathery-Kalpetta.
From Gundlupet same route as #2.
Not many options for food/breaks, Nijaguna in Chamarajanagar is decent.

Since you have a Scorpio 4WD, you can consider taking route #3 (scenic compared to Mysore route) for onward and #1 (more forest stretch) for return.

*There is an All Roads to Kerala thread which is a generic one used to discuss most of the routes to Kerala - Here
That's where you can find loads of information about the Wayanad route as well

Last edited by NPV : 15th December 2015 at 13:30.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 13:52   #20
RCD
BHPian

Thanks NPV,

That was informative and useful. I like the plan of going by one route and returning by the other.
Old 15th December 2015, 13:57   #21
BHPian

Nice quick TL. thanks for sharing. Meenmutty falls are dangerous during monsoon. Know of few casualties that have happened there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Only place you can break is the Gundlupet Coffee Day, but for that you need to get back on the Nanjangud road and come out 1-2Km out of the town.
There is a Nijaguna residency in Chamrajnagar. Good place, clean toilets and decent food. But the service time to serve food is long. We normally take a break here. They have good options for overnight stay as well.

Another quick break can be done at Kanakpura (near bus stand). Hotel Gokul pure veg. Good toilets.
NPV normally asks me to visit "Vasu hotel" in Kanakpura, but i have not been able to discover it
Old 15th December 2015, 15:38   #22
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Nice quick TL. thanks for sharing. Meenmutty falls are dangerous during monsoon. Know of few casualties that have happened there.
You just responded to @ampere's post from the travelogue which is 5 years old now!

In the meantime:
- we have a new Nijaguna in Gundlupet right opposite the Cafe Coffee Day
- and there's another option for good food in Kanakapura in addition to Vasu Hotel, called Shrinivas Sagar

Gokul, Kanakapura is usually not open for breakfast, at least I haven't seen them, guess they open post 11am but definitely an option for lunch/dinner and in between.

*Nijaguna, Chamarajanagar has been discussed to death in other threads from 2011/12 onwards.

Last edited by NPV : 15th December 2015 at 15:44.
Old 15th February 2016, 11:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
1. Bangalore-Mysore-Mananthavady-Kalpetta. Not sure about current road conditions for the Mysore-Mananthavady-Kalpetta stretch.
How are the road conditions on this route now. Planning to take the usual Bangalore->Mysore->Sultan Battery->Kalpetta route onward, and take the above one in the return.
Old 15th February 2016, 11:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
How are the road conditions on this route now. Planning to take the usual Bangalore->Mysore->Sultan Battery->Kalpetta route onward, and take the above one in the return.
Are you heading to Kalpetta or some other place ?I just drove the above route a month back. They are widening the roads along different sections between Mys--Nanjangud and Nanjangud--Gundlupet. Drive-able and the deviations are well marked. The roads after Gundlupet into Kerala is in good condition except for the lousie speed breakers.

On my return I did the Mananthavady--Bavali -- HD Kote--Mys-- Bangalore route. The roads have been completely done up along this route and hardly any traffic till Mysore.
Old 15th February 2016, 11:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Are you heading to Kalpetta or some other place ?I just drove the above route a month back. They are widening the roads along different sections between Mys--Nanjangud and Nanjangud--Gundlupet. Drive-able and the deviations are well marked. The roads after Gundlupet into Kerala is in good condition except for the lousie speed breakers.

On my return I did the Mananthavady--Bavali -- HD Kote--Mys-- Bangalore route. The roads have been completely done up along this route and hardly any traffic till Mysore.
Thanks for the info RJ. Will do both the routes onward and return then. Staying in Kalpetta for Wayanad sight seeing.
Old 18th February 2016, 16:30   #26
BHPian

On my return planning to visit Thirunelli temple. Google maps gives me the below route. How is the road condition from Thirunelly to Hunsur

Which one is better?
Kalpetta->Mananthavady-Thirunelli-Kutta-Hunsur----Blr
or
Kalpetta->Mananthavady-Thirunelli-come back-Bavali-HD Kote-Mysore-Blr

The highway to God's own Country : Wayanad-route1.jpg
Old 24th February 2016, 11:03   #27
BHPian

Just back from Wayanad. Took the usual Bangalore->Mysore->Nanjanagudu->Gundlupet->Sulthan Bathery route on our onward journey. The roads are good throughout except for the patch between Mysore and Nanjanagudu, as road works are going on. road widening is happening.

In the return have taken Mananthavady->Visited Thirunelly temple->Kutta->Nagarhole->Hunsur->Srirangapatna->Bangalore. Roads are all good except for 2 patches. One is the road that passes through Nagarahole wild life sanctuary. Other one is around 20 kms stretch that leads to Srirangapatna. However both these patches are being laid and should be done in the next couple of weeks.
daisyb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks