Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2010, 09:32   #1
BHPian

RE Classic 500 trip to alappuzha beach

Yesterday early morning i got up and felt i was stuck up in life. After sulking i decided to "leave home". My new cl500 read 1100km on the Odo. I started from kottayam at about 1000hours and left for chagnacherry en-route to alappuzha.The ride was uneventful and boring till changanassery as there were diversions since they were repairing the roads albeit for some boy racers on japcrap. I took the right turn from changanassery towards the open highway. This was awesome since i never got open roads to test the cl500. After a few clicks i slowed down near the paddy fields which extends to the horizon. After relaxing for a few minutes and en-quiring for house boats at the jetty(11000 for two/night) i proceeded towards alappuzha. Then all hell broke lose. While cruising at 60 kph i approached a KSRTC bus and checking the road proceeded to overtake it. while half way through the bus started to swerve onto the wrong side and started braking. I was caught unaware since the road was still empty. I thought i was a goner, but thanks to the disc brakes and 120 section tires i somehow managed to avoid the bus. after giving my piece of mind i proceeded till i saw a Toddy shop. now belive me when i say this, these guys make the best Karimeen and kappa i have ever tasted. after an early lunch went straight into the Venice of India.
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 500 trip to alappuzha beach-n596723242_2504283_7001855.jpg  

Old 31st December 2010, 10:21   #2
BHPian

Re: RE Classic 500 trip to alappuzha beach

The city of alappuzha is the first planned town in kerala. All the roads are perpendicular to each other crisscrossed by rivers and bridges. So I proceeded straight towards the beach and found the beach to be crowded. After travelling parallel to the beach I found a untouched beach area and did the unthinkable, and took my brand new chromed bull into the salty beach. After the incident with the bus I was disappointed with my lack of skill to control the bike and I wanted to test my skills in a harder environment without the risk of getting hurt(read sand). So I started along the beach putting my leg down every instance the bike swayed. After 1 hour of wallowing around I got a hang of things. So I gunned the bike and approached a speed of 60kph until I spotted something on the sand right in my path, two British couples. As I passed they commented bloody hell, it’s a c5. They flagged me down and asked if they sell the c5 here or did I get it from Britain. After forcing me to have a beer I was on my way through till I reached the main beach. There was a crowd of people asking me about the cl500 ranging from “is it a new RE motocross bike” to “are u nuts to drive a bullet through the sand”. After getting my throat dry answering all the questions I got out of the beach. The bike was covered in sand and vaporized salt water. I was half expecting for the bike to give up on me, but nothing happened all the way back home. Now looking back at my cl500, rust has got a little to it but still this trip got me to test and better my skills and also to prove the reliability of the RE bikes and why they have stuck on for as long as they have.
I apologize for my way of writing as it is no work of art.
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 500 trip to alappuzha beach-73571_1495515385200_1153552508_31176196_6076583_n.jpg  

Old 31st December 2010, 10:38   #3
BHPian

Nice writeup Nims ,

The KSRTC bus drivers in kerala and in Karnataka share more than the same Corporation name , the share the driving style too.

I always wanted to ride on the beach just like the Steve McQueen , Mert Lawwill and David Evans in the cult movie On Any Sunday.

Please post more pics
Old 31st December 2010, 10:55   #4
BHPian

Interesting trip you had there. It's always a great feeling to ride a bullet on Kerala roads (haven't done it in the last many years though). Your CL500 looks a champ. Please post some pics of Alappuzha town and beach.
Old 31st December 2010, 12:15   #5
BHPian

Cool mate, real cool. Reminds me of what the fantastic Captain Jack Sparrow felt about the Black Pearl. What the RE really is... Freedom!

EDIT: And the pic of the fish fry has made the sails in my stomach go bonkers!

Last edited by lordofgondor : 31st December 2010 at 12:16.
Old 31st December 2010, 14:03   #6
BHPian

thank you guys for the encore. i am on my way to peerumedu for a new year 4x4 excursion on my safari and innova(dont think it will make it). will update with pics.
Old 31st December 2010, 14:20   #7
BHPian

nims, nice trip you had in a ever green machine. Why not some more pics of beach and highways?
First pic clearly shows what caused the problem while overtaking KSRTC bus. Just Kidding buddy !!!
Old 31st December 2010, 16:18   #8
BHPian

Nims

That karimeen looks eye watering (sorry mouth watering!!) Which is this 'shaap', maybe I will make a visit the next time I go there.

Subs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks