Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2011, 16:26   #1
BHPian

Chilika Lake on the Barkul side

Hi

Last week our family did a short trip to Chilika Lake. This is going to be short description of the trip. We were going from Cuttack and went to Barkul and Rambha the two nodes of tourism in Chilika. The third node for Chilika visits is from Satpada, which is some 20 km from Puri (thats in another direction). Satpada is the place if you want take boats to go see Irrawaddy dolphins, and see the mouth of Chilika.

Barkul and Rambha are the nodal points if you want to go to Kalijai temple (on an island - fairly famous in Oriya culture because of associated myths and important pilgrimage for the people in the surrounding areas), and to go the migratory bird nesting islands, and lots of other small dotted islands.

But beware, Nalabana, which is the primary bird nesting island, is under jurisdiction of forest dept. and motor boats are not permitted there. We did not go there, so suggest that you check up with Orissa Tourism Development Corporation's Panthanivas (OTDC, which runs the main guesthouses in Barkul and Rambha; there are no other decent alternatives there) prior to heading down to see migratory birds.

Chilika Lake on the Barkul side-img_8097.jpg

The route from Cuttack to Barkul is entirely NH 5 and its in tip top shape except for a short 20 km stretch before Barkul, which is not too bad either. We left Cuttack (my parental home) at 9.15 in the morning. Cuttack to Bhubaneswar is a short 35 min drive followed by a long 45 min process of driving through most of Bhubaneswar (NH-5 cuts through the centre of BBSR). We had a brief halt in BBSR for some work. Post BBSR the view changes massively and there are beautiful roads through reasonably green surroundings and long tracts of wide roads going up and down hill. This was winter, so it was all pleasant. I expect the same road to be a furnace in summer.

By 12.30 we were Barkul. We checked into the Panthanivas, which is the guesthouse run by OTDC in Barkul and had lunch.

Went for on a boat ride to Kalijai island post lunch. It is temple island around 25 min away by speed boat, which you can hire from OTDC.

Chilika Lake on the Barkul side-img_8102.jpg

Otherwise you can hire country boats with outboard motors also from private guys which is cheaper but riskier, but at the same more fun since they are much slower and lower in the water.

Chilika Lake on the Barkul side-img_8082.jpg

Chilika is a bounded lake with one outlet into the sea, so the tides are not high. There are gentle waves; nay they are hardly waves, they were small ripples, which lap into the shore.

We settled down in the evening for several rounds of tea and prawn pakodas. The crab and prawn delicacies here are to die for; pity most of them get exported away. And had an early dinner at the OTDC itself and settled away.

From the Panthanivas, you can see the pier for both the country boats and OTDC boats. As night falls the last sets of pilgrims from Kalijai Temple straggle back in their boats, the pier empties, and soon not a soul remains.

Chilika Lake on the Barkul side-img_8140.jpg

In the morning, the fishermen rise. And they rise to a glorious sunrise.

Chilika Lake on the Barkul side-img_8223.jpg

Chilika Lake on the Barkul side-img_8247.jpg

Chilika Lake on the Barkul side-img_8249.jpg

Last edited by manolin : 21st January 2011 at 16:38. Reason: typos:)
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2011, 16:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Chilika Lake on the Barkul side

Solitude. Nature. Peace.
Bliss !
Old 21st January 2011, 17:22   #3
BHPian

Excellent photo MANOLIN.
i can recall my NCC camp day at BALUNGAON Naval camp at chilika.

How is the road condition between BBSR and Jatani/KHORDA/BERHAMPUR.
Old 21st January 2011, 18:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful pictures manolin. Can you also let us know the nearest rail station for Chilika lake? I always wanted to visit, but too far to drive so best to include it as a stopover on a rail trip. thanks!
Old 21st January 2011, 19:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Wonderful pictures manolin. Can you also let us know the nearest rail station for Chilika lake? I always wanted to visit, but too far to drive so best to include it as a stopover on a rail trip. thanks!

Balugaon (Railway stn code BALU) - All express trains stop here.
Old 21st January 2011, 22:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Nearest station is BALUGAON station.
If you are coming from pune,by KONARK EXPRESS then, you can choose BALUGAON / KHURDA ROAD / BHUBANESWAR station.

In my opinion, go to Bhubaneswar, take rest there, hire a cab and goto CHILIKA.
And many more place to visit near Bhubaneswar.

-- Lingaraj Temple (2-3 KM)
-- Nandankanan Zoo (One of the biggest zoo in ASIA) (10-15 KM)
-- KONARK SUN Temple (40-50 KM)
-- PURI JAGANNATH Temple etc ..(20-30 KM from Konark temple / 90 KM from BBSR)

Regards
KALINGA
Old 24th January 2011, 09:02   #7
BHPian

Superb sunset shots!! The boats make it even more special.
Old 24th January 2011, 10:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Is the OTDC Panth Nivas in good shape?

Boating rates - possible to bargain?

Is there any boat trip that takes you to Satapada or Krishnaprasad?
Old 30th April 2011, 12:34   #9
BHPian

HVK, sorry to reply this late. Yes the Panthanivas in both Barkul and Rambha are in good shape, and have some good new cottage type rooms.

For boat rides you have 2 options- hire from OTDC, or from the private guys. OTDC boats are proper metal/plastic boats, while the private ones are basically the country boats. However I would recommend the OTDC boats since they have life jackets.

Both types of boats can be hired for longer trips to Satpada (4 hours each way). Krishnaprasad i do not know of, but I am pretty certain they will go. The private boats have a rate fixed by union and displayed fairly prominently. The Government one is by govt. rate. The Panthanivas staff you call to book can tell you the government rate.

Hope it helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks