Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2011, 11:23   #1
BHPian

Pune trip on the Silver Surf

Hello Everyone !!!
Posting another travelogue on the Silver Surf after a break. Well, for the uninitiated, the Silver Surf is our Grande Punto Mjet 1.3. Current odo reading 31,700+ kms & younger by 1 year 5 months. Me & wife were getting bogged down with the daily routine of office life & hence it was decided that we should take a break. Plans were made to visit Pune along with another close friend & his wife. The four of us decided that we would make good use of the Holiday on 14th Jan(Friday - Makar Sankranti) and add two more days to make it a 5 day trip in total. However, my friend's wife could not get leaves at her office & hence, me and wife decided to visit Pune on our own. We have very close friends in Pune, whom we had not visited for quite some time now. It was to be a reunion, a long awaited one.
The Silver Surf had just returned back from its 3rd Service at 29,000 kms and was all prepped to take on this journey. Little did I know that this time, it would show two of its extreme capabilities . . . mileage/economy and speed.
Old 25th February 2011, 15:04   #2
BHPian

Clocking a mileage of 27 km/ltr

The itinerary was as follows -
Take holiday on 13th(Thursday) and drive to Pune > Stay there on 14th, 15th & 16th > Take another holiday on 17th(Monday) and drive back to Bangalore.
As this was to be a journey only for around 14-15 hours, with no night halts in between, me and wife were quite relaxed. We have already done 2 trips from Bangalore to Kolkata and hence this trip was a small one compared to those trips. We packed our luggage till late night on Wednesday(12th Jan). The car already has all the necessary stuff like tubeless puncture repair kit, foot pump, toolkit with emergency light etc. We had also taken some provisions so that we could reduce our halts for food.

On 13th Morning, we started around 0530 hrs from home. Soon after we joined the Outer Ring road and were cruising towards Nelamangala. Traffic was light and we made good pace. Near the exit from Bangalore after Yeshwantpur, we took the newly constructed flyover. The quality of construction of this flyover is very good and we could zoom past the light traffic. I was keeping a safe speed of 85-90 kms per hour. I usually keep this speed while driving on highways. Indian highways can throw nasty unexpected surprises. At speeds of 85-90, I always feel comfortable & relaxed that I would have sufficient time to react.

The road condition on this stretch is in perfect shape. No potholes and no intersection for villages. Except for few patches were construction is still going on, the overall road quality can be rated as very good. Soon we were near Chitradurga where the landscape has numerous windmills. We had not taken any break till then as the roads were very good and we had some snacks to munch upon. In fact, we did not intend to stop for breakfast so that we would make it till Pune by early evening. We had started with around 0.85 of the full tank capacity of 45 litres as is shown in one of the pics taken sometime after starting the journey. During the afternoon, the car tripmeter was showing that with the available fuel, it would reach more than 870 kms which is the approx distance to Pune from my house. The mileage was howering aroung 25.8. Even before starting the journey, I had calculated that if the roads were good, I might not need to stop for refuelling. Seeing such mileage figures, I was more or less confident that this trip would show some very good mileage figures.
By the time we reached Pune outskirts, the car trip meter was showing an mileage of 27 km/ltr. Yes, this is no typo error, my eyes did see a figure of 27 km/ltr on the car's tripmeter. I also took a photo so that I could share this with everyone. However, due to the camera flash, the figure is not visible. Now, without any proof in hand all I can ask you all is to believe in my words. This is the best mileage that my car has returned till date. I doubt whether I would ever be able to beat this. Overall, I can attribute it to a very consistent driving style with a very light foot on the accelerator & speed regulation between 80 - 90 km/hr.
Posting few pictures taken during the onward journey to Pune.
Old 25th February 2011, 16:11   #3
BHPian

Re: Pune trip on the Silver Surf

Posting few pics taken during the onward journey to Pune. If you look closely, you may be able to see the mileage showing as 27 km/ltr
Attached Thumbnails
Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120267.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120275.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120279.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120285.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120288.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120292.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120296.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120298.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120300.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120302.jpg  

Old 26th February 2011, 06:53   #4
BHPian

tanks almost empty there, be careful
Old 26th February 2011, 07:57   #5
BHPian

The first pic was taken sometime after we started for the journey(note the fuel meter). The last few shots were taken near Pune outskirts.
The last but one shot is the one which shows the mileage of 27.
Yes the tanks were then holding very little fuel, but there were petrol pumps after every few kilometers. This was a mileage run and I wanted to get an exact idea of what Silver Surf was capable of.
We refueled sometime after taking these pics, just before entering Pune city, knowing that city traffic would take a toll on the diesel consumption. It was clear that if roads were proper highway roads, the diesel Mjet unit is one lean burner.
More on the roads - NH4 is in excellent condition. Except for few patches, where construction is still going on, the remaining stretches are excellent. There aren't any crossings for villages and all, on the way. In fact I was very happy to find that there are hardly any bumps, anywhere on this highway. Well, it may seem amusing to a few, but Indian highways do have bumps thrown in wherever there are major cities or crossings for villages. As a matter of fact, this stretch is very much do-able for anyone who loves to drive. However, one must take sufficient supplies for this journey as the dhabas/eateries are hugely spaced apart. If you don't stop at one, the next dhaba would be a long way ahead near some major city.
Meet my friend's pets . . . taken that evening when we reached his house.
Attached Thumbnails
Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120305.jpg  

Last edited by Kaustav : 26th February 2011 at 08:06.
Old 26th February 2011, 12:07   #6
BHPian

Trip to Mulshi

There are multiple places near Pune that one can visit on a one day trip. We chose Mulshi. In fact my friend, Debasish, suggested Mulshi as it has good scenic beauty and also a small resort where they serve good food. So Mulshi it was . . . on a Saturday morning. We were 6 of us in total. Me, my wife, my friend Debasish, his wife, Debasish's younger brother and another good friend Anirban. We had two cars at our disposal, the Silver Surf & Debasish's trusted Maruti 800. All set, we headed out for Mulshi around 10:00 AM.
Attached Thumbnails
Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120331.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120334.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120361.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-191.jpg  

Old 26th February 2011, 12:14   #7
BHPian

Thats me with wife at the resort at Mulshi. This one is a small resort run by a Punjabi family. Food is good and reasonable priced. Makes a good outing for one day.
Attached Thumbnails
Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-233.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-247.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-248.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120337.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120360.jpg  

Old 26th February 2011, 15:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics and nice write up. Havent driven a car in 5+ months now. Going back home day after. Refresh a little bit and then we are definately going to do some drives. Thanks to your post our favourite too mulshi would be on the cards and soon at that. Recognized that dhaba from the photo. It was not always like that they got it renovated and its much better now. Too bad that when we were there last the place was packed and we ended up eating elsewhere. Luckily we got some good food there too, the parathas are really good at this punjabi place.
Old 26th February 2011, 16:45   #9
BANNED

Great pictures and the road looks awesome! So does your car. I just cant imagine doing 80-90kph on such a nice road!
Old 27th February 2011, 00:03   #10
BHPian

Silver Surf at speeds of 167+ kms/hr

After spending the afternoon at Mulshi, it was time to return back. Wife wanted to get some chikki from Lonawala, hence it was decided that we would leave for Lonawala, buy chikkis & then return back home.
Going to Lonawala meant that we would be driving on the Pune Mumbai expressway. Another long cherished dream would come true - a speed run on the Pune Mumbai expressway, where I could let loose all the horses of the Multijet engine. We were three of us in our car when we entered the expressway. After following my friends M800 for sometime, we told him that we were going for a speed test. Soon we had left his car behind and had touched 150+ kms/hr. I felt that the expressway is not a very level expressway, however, it is 3 lane + 1 emergency lane on each side. Thus, it provides ample oppurtunity for such speed runs as there is sufficient space for maneuvering. I pushed the accelerator to its limits and the engine had a throaty groan. We were wizzing past other cars on the road. Soon enough, I hit the maximum speed I have ever touched on this car; the speedo was at around 168 kms/hr. At those speeds the car was at total control. In fact I even maneuvered & overtook a few cars at those speeds. The car was so planted & sure of what it wanted to do that all of us in the car were ecstatic. None of us had even the slightest of fear regarding the stability or control of the car. This car with its sheer weight and excellent road manners, was perfectly at ease at those speeds. It proved that it definitely is a Queen of the Highways. I maintained that speed for around 30-40 seconds & then let go of the accelerator. I was so thrilled & happy to have driven at those speeds. The Silver Surf slowly returned back to sane speeds & its muffled note, as if trying to brag - "see this is what I am capable of . . ."
Posting a few pics from the expressway
Attached Thumbnails
Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120395.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120398.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120401.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120408.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120410.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-265.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-269.jpg  

Old 27th February 2011, 04:58   #11

It is quiet difficult to view 27 in your pic but yes considering your driving speed of 80-90, i can believe that you have clocked 27. You are right indian highways can throw nasty unexpected surprises that too when you are not expecting them.

Your friend Debasish suggested really amazing place, I liked its scenic beauty a lot.

Pune-mumbai highway is simply superb, you must have enjoyed your ride at 3 digit speeds.

Nice travelogue so far, keep it coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaustav View Post
The first pic was taken sometime after we started for the journey(note the fuel meter). The last few shots were taken near Pune outskirts.
The last but one shot is the one which shows the mileage of 27.
It is quiet difficult to view 27 in your pic but yes considering your driving speed of 80-90, i can believe that you have clocked 27. You are right indian highways can throw nasty unexpected surprises that too when you are not expecting them.

Your friend Debasish suggested really amazing place, I liked its scenic beauty a lot.

Pune-mumbai highway is simply superb, you must have enjoyed your ride at 3 digit speeds.

Nice travelogue so far, keep it coming.
Old 27th February 2011, 17:23   #12
BHPian

Posting a few random shots taken using my friend Debasish's new Canon DSLR. Model -Canon 1000 D. These were taken when we went to a mall, just to spend some time and have golgappas outside the mall.
First Pic - Me & Debasish
Second - Me and my better half
Attached Thumbnails
Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-092.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-095.jpg  

Old 27th February 2011, 17:49   #13
BHPian

Photoshoot

Debasish's younger brother volunteered for the photoshoot with the Silver Surf. He is the young hunk in the black shirt. Anirban, another close friend is in the red check shirt. Debasish is in a red check shirt with a T-shirt inside.

I was wearing the same T-shirt on alternate days and hence all my pics are in the same attire. My bad luck . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120316.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-152.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-157.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-164.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-176.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120370.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-p1120375.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-222.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-253.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-257.jpg  

Pune trip on the Silver Surf-trip-217.jpg  

Old 1st March 2011, 12:05   #14
BHPian

Dost, your trip log reminds me of 2010 January bullet ride to and from Bangalore to Pune. Amazing roads and an amazing ride! Beautiful pics. I did Pune-Bangalore on my Thunderbird in 12 hrs 40 mins flat! Hope you guys do a Bangalore-Delhi soon and lets catch up
Old 1st March 2011, 12:49   #15
BHPian

Kaustav, nice travelogue there. Keep posting your experiences.

OT: I own a Punto active too and have crossed 35k in it. Till date, I've never seen the mileage display in my car. I just see Total nr. of km and time. Could you let me know how to check the mileage in MID?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks