Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 19:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Great Ocean Road!

I had been for a month long visit to Australia last year. It totally skipped my mind to share with everyone, one of the best driving experiences I've ever had. Driving on one of the world's most beautiful coastal road - THE GREAT OCEAN ROAD!

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02162.jpg

The Great Ocean Road is a 243-kilometre stretch of road along the south-eastern coast of Australia. The road is two lane (one in each direction), with the majority covered by an 80 kph speed limit. I didn't cover the entire distance but my last destination was the famous Twelve Apostles. So I covered about 144kms of the Great Ocean Road.

So we left off from Melbourne early morning in my uncle's Toyota Prius.

The Great Ocean Road!-sep_oct09-086.jpg

The route:

The Great Ocean Road!-route.jpg

To be continued....

Last edited by theragingbull : 21st March 2011 at 19:30.
Old 21st March 2011, 20:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Great Ocean Road!

Wow ! Glued to this.

I was fortunate to make the same trip. It was ages back .. 1999. Looking forward to reliving the trip through your thread !
Old 21st March 2011, 20:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

So the first stop after leaving Melbourne, 75kms away, was the city of Geelong,. Popularly known for being home to car manufacturer Ford Australia. We had breakfast in the Cunningham Pier at the Port of Geelong.

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02104.jpg

After that was a long drive towards the Great Ocean Road. Before that, there was this famous lighthouse at Aireys inlet.

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02144.jpg

After a small halt there, we continued with our journey which included going through beautiful mountain roads with forest on one side and ocean on the other! Finally, we reached the point from where the Great Ocean Road starts. Got a beautiful picture to share of the Great Ocean road from a view point just before the entrance.

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02155.jpg

The entrance.

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02168.jpg

From here starts the heavenly road Just can't describe in words how beautiful the landscape was and what a fantastic drive it was! (I wish I was driving but I wasn't allowed). Let the pictures do the talking...

In the next post, I'll continue towards the Twelve Apostles.
Attached Thumbnails
The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02179.jpg  

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02181.jpg  

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02184.jpg  

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02185.jpg  

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02186.jpg  

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02194.jpg  

Last edited by theragingbull : 21st March 2011 at 20:58.
Old 21st March 2011, 21:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Envy you Zohaib, driving along side the sea is the biggest dream any enthusiast would have. Waiting for the next batch of pics
Old 21st March 2011, 21:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

That really is a nice drive.
Along with the pics and text waiting for the Prius driving experience too.
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Continuing with my post...I headed along the Great Ocean Road towards the Twelve Apostles, which is a collection of limestone stacks off the shore of the Port Campbell National Park. The road has beautiful curves and is very smooth. Both the sides have vast green lands with one side overlooking the ocean as seen in this picture.

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02231.jpg
The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02232.jpg

The Twelve Apostles were formed by erosion: the harsh weather conditions from the Southern Ocean gradually eroded the soft limestone to form caves in the cliffs, which then became arches, which in turn collapsed; leaving rock stacks up to 45 metres high. The stacks are susceptible to further erosion from the waves. In 2005, a 50 metre tall stack collapsed, leaving eight Apostles remaining.

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02235.jpg
The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02241.jpg
The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02267.jpg

The Loch Ard Gorge is part of Port Campbell National Park, Victoria, Australia, about 10 minutes drive west of The Twelve Apostles. It is a visible example of the process of erosion in action.

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02273.jpg

After that we continued further along the Great Ocean Road towards Port Campbell.

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02298.jpg

London Arch is another natural arch in the Port Campbell National Park, Australia. The arch is one of the tourist attractions along the Great Ocean Road near Port Campbell in Victoria. This stack was formed by a gradual process of erosion and formed a complete double-span natural bridge. But in the 1990, the arch closest to the shoreline collapsed unexpectedly.

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02283.jpg
The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02326.jpg

Some more limestone stacks along the shores -

The Great Ocean Road!-dsc02299.jpg

So my trip to the Great Ocean Road ended here. But the next day I also went to Phillip Island. Famous for penguin spotting and also one of the most exciting MotoGP tracks. I did karting there
If people are interested, I can post a travelogue of that too.

Last edited by theragingbull : 22nd March 2011 at 16:25.
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

@theragingbull. Lovely pics. Thanks for bringing back memories. 3 years in Melbourne and numerous trips on the GOR and it still feels like I am seeing the place for the first time. This place has so much to offer. What with the lovely roads to drive on and the scenery itself.

Please bring on more pics if you have them.

Once again Lovely pics!
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:47   #8
BHPian

The Great Ocean Road is awesome. Nice snaps. I did this trip back in 2008. Seems like a long time ago now. Melbourne is a great place, one of the best cities in the world.
Did you do the helicopter trip over the Apostles? I took the trip and it was a great experience.
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the comments everyone! This is my first attempt at writing a travelogue so please pardon me for any mistakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Did you do the helicopter trip over the Apostles? I took the trip and it was a great experience.
Actually by the time I reached the Apostles, the sun was setting down. So I did not have enough time for the helicopter ride. Would love to go there once again and drive myself on the Great Ocean road in a cabriolet

Last edited by theragingbull : 22nd March 2011 at 17:02.
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

I can just say "WOW" and wish that i can go/drive around this place!

Zohaib very nicely narrated and pictures which ads up to it! thanks for sharing btw why dont you add the "Philip island experience" here itself?
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

The photos are superb and I am sure the drive would have been even better.

The places you saw remind me of some places in Ireland. In particular, the isolated coves in Aran Islands, the Cliffs of Moher overlooking the vast expanse of the Atlantic, and the drive up the Antrim Coastline from Belfast to Derry via Carrick-a-rege and the Giant's Causeway. Did that in an Alfa Romeo, and that drive looks very similar to this one. I highly recommend that for people in that part of the world.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks