Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 17:08   #1
BHPian

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur

We decided to go to Chikmagalur during the long weekend since the Monday (April 4th) was Ugadi, a holiday here in Karnataka. After asking and getting some suggestions and information on the best route and road conditions, we set off on Saturday morning, in two cars, my Civic and a friend's I20.

We went through Ulsoor, hit NH4 by 7am and had crossed the first toll gate by 7 45 am. We took the diversion at Nelamangala to join the Mangalore highway. Roads were in excellent condition for the most bit. 4 laning work is being done, so diversions every 5 kms. We stopped and had breakfast at food joint called Shark's food court/dosa camp. Proceeded towards Kunigal, and stopped at CCD to pick up some coffee. We stopped at quite a few places along the way, once for to withdraw cash at an ATM (where my friend had a funny experience - card got stuck in the machine, and the bank said you will get it back on Tuesday, but after a few kicks to the machine, it came out ) and another time to pick up pepsi & coke.

After we got off the NH and onto the SH, the lanes reduced, but roads were excellent. I was very impressed with the quality of the road, very smooth!!! Loved pushing the car around those gentle curves...great fun!!! We finally hit CKM around 1:30pm, and after finding our way through the town towards our home stay (Beanstalk Bagmane - excellent homestay experience) we left the plains of CKM and headed into a slightly more hilly terrain. Road from CKM to Mallandur is simply brilliant. Road is in excellent condition, and if you love driving in winding roads, you will love this stretch. I was pushing the car over the curves and bends at 60 km/h. The grip and handling of the Civic is so reassuring, I would never dare try this on my other car (Accent Viva Crdi). I would have gone a slower if there was no car in front of me since the blind curves can be dangerous and you need to exercise caution and honk to make sure you warn vehicles coming in the opposite direction, but I had a car in front of me, which by the looks of it was being driven by a local, and he was ripping through those curves, so it was good fun keeping up with him.

The last stretch of road to the homestay was narrow, and not tarred. I was initially a little worried about my car's GC, but it made it through with no issues, except for the fact that by the time we reached the homestay, it was covered with red mud.

We reached by 2:30pm, and it being the 2nd of April, we rushed inside and grabbed chairs and set ourselves up for what was going to be one of the best days of our lives and for India. As the match drew closer, we inched closer and closer towards the TV to watch those final moments. Watching those tears of joy on the cricketers faces gave me a lump in my throat. That was some day!!!

Next day, waking up, it felt great, realizing that we had won the world cup, and thinking about the joy the Indian team had given this nation... we lazed around watching news and soaking in the feeling. We ventured out around noon with our host in his Jeep to a new place which was still a unknown place. Sat in a Jeep after ages, and it is the best vehicle for that terrain. We drove towards Muthodi forest, and trekked down to a waterfall called Huli khan falls. Spent the afternoon there, had lunch we had carried and a couple of chilled beers, and headed back. It was good fun.

Next day we were to leave back to Bangalore, and so we had breakfast, and left for Mullainagiri. Roads again were in good condition. Upto Seethalayangiri was superb, and after that the last few kms to Mullainagiri, was narrow. By this time I had gotten used to driving the Civic in the Ghat sections, and the blind spot in the Civic. We made it up to the top, and driving up the hill was no issue at all. Spent an hour or so taking pictures, and then headed down. I was hoping not to encounter an oncoming vehicle in the narrow road, but as it happened an Innova came from the opposite direction. I closed my side mirrors and we squeezed our way through.

Our next destination was Belur. Roads upto this place were alright, but I don't understand why we never complete things. The last stretch of road leading to the world heritage site was potholed and in terrible condition.

Halebid was the next stop and we spent some time here walking around the ruins and left for Bangalore. Halebid to Hassan is also excellent and hardly any traffic. Reached Bangalore by 9:30pm and went straight to KFC and had a bucket

After all this driving, never felt tired. I guess in part due to Civic and good roads. The car though was dirty and covered in red mud. So as I write this, the car has gone for its 3rd free service (Dakshin Honda). 3.3k done so far. They are changing the oil and this time they're going to put in synthetic oil. I asked him for the brand, but he couldn't give me a clear answer, only gave me the grade - 0W/30.

So far extremely happy with the car, its handling and driveability. The minor sore points I had are gone now which I guess is me just getting used to the car.

Here are some pictures from the trip, some from my cam and others from my friends since I didn't click any on the road.

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-02042011111414.jpg

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-020420111350462.jpg
Road from CKM to Mallandur.

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-020420111350522.jpg

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-020420111355502.jpg

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-020420111424142.jpg
Last stretch through the coffee plantation to reach our homestay

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-030420111438192.jpg
Trekking to the waterfall

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-030420111551362.jpg
Hulikhan falls

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-030420111345582.jpg
Drive through the forest to reach the falls

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-030420111602122.jpg

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-030420111806232.jpg

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-040420110746472.jpg
Beanstalk Bagmane - our homestay

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-040420110751122.jpg

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-040420110752132.jpg

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-040420110801262.jpg

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-040420110801492.jpg
My car after an early morning wash getting ready for the return journey

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-040420111119452.jpg
View from Mullaingiri

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-03042011175122.jpg

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-040420111457042.jpg
Belur

More pictures from my trip are here

Cheers!!
Old 7th April 2011, 18:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Weekend trip to Chikmagalur

Now thats some sweet pics of your Civic !! Looks pretty cool. And there are some other stunning pics too !! Is that all or is the thread still in making??

Edit: Could you provide the details of the homestay [Route / Contact / Rates / and your rating] as well? This will help someone who want to visit this place later.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th April 2011 at 18:30.
Old 7th April 2011, 19:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Now thats some sweet pics of your Civic !! Looks pretty cool. And there are some other stunning pics too !! Is that all or is the thread still in making??

Edit: Could you provide the details of the homestay [Route / Contact / Rates / and your rating] as well? This will help someone who want to visit this place later.
I got some more pics from Belur and Halebid. Will upload them soon.

Sure, the homestay we stayed at was called Beanstalk Bagmane. Google should throw up a couple of results. The host, Ashwin, was very good. Made sure everything was taken care of. He told me he doesn't advertise and accepts people only through word of mouth and prefers small groups. His mom cooked up some great food for us. He charged us 1700 per night per person although it was 1800 per night. There are two large rooms on top with balconies and a big living room with TV and internet. There is also a room on the ground floor I think. Its perched on top of a hill so has a nice view of the surrounding areas. I would definitely recommend this place and will probably go there again during or after monsoon when the place is much more greener than it is now.

If anyone needs the contact no, let me know. Take the Mallandur road from CKM towards Muthodi. When the mile marker says 12kms to Muthodi, you will need to take a diversion. Just ask anyone for directions there and you will be pointed in the right direction.
teknicsand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2011, 22:57   #4
BHPian

Here are some more pictures from Belur & Halebid.

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-07042011223012.jpg

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-07042011223158.jpg

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-040420111504482.jpg

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-040420111509202.jpg

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-040420111516332.jpg

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-040420111626202.jpg

For more see here
teknicsand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2011, 00:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Those were indeed some wonderful pics I must say. The moment I read the title as Chikmagalur, I couldn't resist and when I realised you stayed in a homestay that had a name Bagmane on it, things became more curious then as I read through to find a mention of Ashwin, I realised it was my college buddy.
We both did our 11th and 12th from Karkala in 1995-97 and though very rarely in touch except social networking sites , I must admit that I need to share with him this travelogue of yours. The world is really small indeed!!!
Old 8th April 2011, 11:16   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Some of the best Pictures of the places that you've covered.

Facebook blocked in our office. More pictures please

Can you please Give details of the Camera and lenses used?
Also what all post processing have you done on the photos? Any HDR processing?

Your car looks BEAUTIFUL!!
Old 8th April 2011, 11:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Lovely pictures and a crisp travelogue
Old 8th April 2011, 12:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Those were indeed some wonderful pics I must say. The moment I read the title as Chikmagalur, I couldn't resist and when I realised you stayed in a homestay that had a name Bagmane on it, things became more curious then as I read through to find a mention of Ashwin, I realised it was my college buddy.
We both did our 11th and 12th from Karkala in 1995-97 and though very rarely in touch except social networking sites , I must admit that I need to share with him this travelogue of yours. The world is really small indeed!!!
Small world indeed!! I sent him a link to my pictures on FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Some of the best Pictures of the places that you've covered.

Facebook blocked in our office. More pictures please

Can you please Give details of the Camera and lenses used?
Also what all post processing have you done on the photos? Any HDR processing?

Your car looks BEAUTIFUL!!
Its a Canon 400D. Wide Angle shots are from Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8. I also used Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM and Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 L IS during this trip.

I use Adobe Lightroom for post-processing and photo management. Adobe PS CS5 for additional corrections. For HDR, I was using Photomatix Pro for the last 2-3 years, switched over to a new software called HDR efex Pro.

How about Flickr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Lovely pictures and a crisp travelogue
Thanks!!
Old 18th April 2011, 12:14   #9
BHPian

Great pictures there teknicsand!
How is the weather now in Chikmagalur area, is it hot? Planning on a trip this weekend, so wanted to check if its cooler than Bangalore or not.
Old 18th April 2011, 12:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good Pics, Teknicsand.

Did you eat Masale Dhosey (Masala Dosa) in the famous town Canteen in Chikkamagalur city? Hope you did not miss this out. It is too good. Anyone who visit Chikkamagalur should not miss this

For people who will do this trip, see if you can make it to Yagachi dam immediately after Belur on the high way at the time of sun set. It is an aweome sight. The reservoir is not crowded and is picture perfect. Google for nice pics of this place.

Just before you enter , you will find a small but elegant temple of Lord Rama in Hiremagalur - "The town of Eleder daughter" (Chikkamagalur is "Town of younger daughter" ) in Kannada. Try and visit if you have time.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Great pictures there teknicsand!
How is the weather now in Chikmagalur area, is it hot? Planning on a trip this weekend, so wanted to check if its cooler than Bangalore or not.
Thanks!! When we went it was about 30 degrees. If it has rained in CKM like it has in B'lore, then it definitely will be a few degrees cooler, for that matter the temperature has dipped in B'lore too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Good Pics, Teknicsand.

Did you eat Masale Dhosey (Masala Dosa) in the famous town Canteen in Chikkamagalur city? Hope you did not miss this out. It is too good. Anyone who visit Chikkamagalur should not miss this

For people who will do this trip, see if you can make it to Yagachi dam immediately after Belur on the high way at the time of sun set. It is an aweome sight. The reservoir is not crowded and is picture perfect. Google for nice pics of this place.

Just before you enter , you will find a small but elegant temple of Lord Rama in Hiremagalur - "The town of Eleder daughter" (Chikkamagalur is "Town of younger daughter" ) in Kannada. Try and visit if you have time.
Nope we didn't goto the canteen you're talking about. But now there's another place to go checkout on the next visit

I'd heard about the dam, but we had to cover Belur & Halebid, and it didn't fit into our plans. Next time!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks