Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2004, 16:32   #1
BHPian

Tubes on a tubeless tyre??

I had a punture a couple of days ago. Was running on Michelin Pilot Preceda 195 tyres. When i took it to the tyre repair guy he advised me to put tubes in the tyres. The cost to repair the puncture was 400 bucks which is kinda high.. and apparantly it cant be carried out at these roadside repair chaps as they cant fix the punctures on these tyres.

I wanted to know if it is advisable to put tubes on the tyres... It sounded kinda ridiculous to me. But i really dont know.

What would be the advantages of this? other than the cheaper repair costs, and i am pretty sure there must be some drawbacks to doing this sort of thing. What disadvantages are there.

Please help... I dont know if i should go ahead and put tubes but am not doing it for the moment until i understand all the pros and cons of it.

Old 26th October 2004, 16:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

Don't do it - it is not safe and the tyre is not built for tubes
Old 26th October 2004, 19:02   #3
BHPian

a puncture costs 400 bucks to fix???...was it really that bad? i mean was it like a large hole (not the nail type hole)?
the purpose of buying tubeless tyres is totally defeated if you put tubes in them...by the way most of the small tyre shop chaps havent come to terms with tubeless tyres. ive had mine for 2 years now and had just one puncture, cost me abourt 50 bucks to fix. he used my tubeless tyre puncture kit though.
Old 26th October 2004, 19:15   #4
BHPian

I have Goodyear tubeless tyres with tubes on my Ikon for last 2 yrs. i even tried without the tubes. Frankly it didnt make any difference to me even at higher speeds so i let the tubes stay. No problem till date. evertime i had a puncture it has costed me 20 bucks..

Old 26th October 2004, 19:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The cost to repair the puncture was 400 bucks
[img]http://www.team-bhp.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/***.gif[/img]

maan to repair a tubeless tyre puncture shudnt cost u anything more than 70 bucks.

and regarding tubes in tubeless tyres...NO NEVER unless there is an extreme emergency like a big tear that cant hold the air and u dont have a puncture repair guy available in the next 200 kms ..

cheers
Old 26th October 2004, 19:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

U can fit a tube on that tyre temporarily...but a tube makes a tyre run at higher temperatures because of friction between the tyre n the tube. but it shudnt cause any problems in city driving.

In any case, get that tire repaired as soon as possible...n 400 bucks for a puncture??? thts way too high unless u blew up the whole tyre or something like that.

Drifter
Old 26th October 2004, 19:48   #7
BHPian

Yeah.. The puncture was pretty bad .. a huge iron shard had gone in. And the puncture guy said it would take a day to fix.. something about curing or something.... no idea.
And where can i get a tubeless tyre puncture kit like what anoops said he had?
Old 26th October 2004, 21:25   #8
BHPian

400 bucks u must be kidding me I have tubless tyre on my car and I have never paid more than 60 bucks for major punctures and installing a tubless tyre with a tube is crazy dont do it man the and the guy who adviced u about this is crazy too he should not be workin in the tyre industry and U get this tyre selants which u inject into a tubless tyre which costs something around 4000 rs which is dam good why dont u get that done its good for minor punctures not tyre rippers
Old 26th October 2004, 23:31   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aggressive_anush @ Oct. 26 2004,18:18)]And where can i get a tubeless tyre puncture kit like what anoops said he had?
In any good car accs shop.
It'll be a pouch with two metal cork borer type tools. One to make the puncture hole smooth and other to plug in the compound strip. You'll also get a knife to cut the compound strip. Cost around 650/- in Bangalore. May be cheaper in Bombay.
Old 26th October 2004, 23:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rudra Sen @ Oct. 26 2004,22:01)]Cost around 650/- in Bangalore. May be cheaper in Bombay.
650 bucks doesnt seem too much since the damn puncture guy charged me 400 bucks to repair it. And since im in bangalore itself might as well get it from here only.. Not much to be saved getting it from bombay methinks.
Old 26th October 2004, 23:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aggressive_anush @ Oct. 26 2004,22:10)]650 bucks doesnt seem too much since the damn puncture guy charged me 400 bucks to repair it. And since im in bangalore itself might as well get it from here only.. Not much to be saved getting it from bombay methinks.
Hey I didn't remember the fact that you're from Bangalore.
Check with Anil at Hot Tracks at Residency Road.
Old 26th October 2004, 23:55   #12
BHPian

Sure will do.. Also need to go somewhere this weekend and get music systems for my cars. So will do that as well. Also one more thing...anoops.. u said that the puncture guy fixed ur tubeless using ur kit. How long did it take? As this guy took almost a day.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Is this possible - Tubes in Tubeless Tyres?

Today morning, I noticed that the rear left tyre was running flat, so I took it to the neighbourhood puncture guy. He diagnosed the problem to 5 minute side-wall punctures. I was EXTREMELY surprised as to how this could happen. The tyre is a JK Vectra, about 35000 km old.

Anyway, he recommended that instead of mending the punctures, I put a Tube in the Tubeless tyre and be done with it. Of course, I was highly incredulous to this proposition, and said NO! I was unsure of how the car would handle at speeds if I did something like this. After all, I have to drive on NH-8, and 80-100 kmph is absolutely standard fare.

I promptly dumped the car back at home and continued on for the day, on my RE-TB.

As of now, I have resolved to get a new pair of Yokos today evening, to replace the Vectras. I have been happier with the performance of the Yokos over the JK ones, on the same car.

But, I am wondering, if putting in Tubes in the Tubeless Tyres can prolong the latter's life by say, 5 - 10 K kms, then it's not such a bad deal.

So:

Question 1: I would like to know if anyone has done anything like this (putting tubes in tubeless tyres) or has any experience of the same? What are the pitfalls?

Question 2: The car is a Logan Diesel, and is running standard tyre sizes. Since, I will be changing one pair, and intend to put these up front, is it a good idea to upsize a wee bit? If yes, then what upsize is recommended?
Old 18th July 2011, 10:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tubes on a tubeless tyre??

Even I was recommneded to put in a tube inside the tubeless tyre and keep it as a spare. This was because of the punctures (two happening around same spot) on the sidewall. For the third puncture when I approached Premji Tyres they confirmed that there was no need to put the tube inside the tubeless (Courtsey Mr Mark Premji), he got the puncture repaired for 100/- and even promised a good deal if I decided to replace the tyre.

Has anyone heard of Mushroom type pucnture repair, this it seems costs 250/- but did not have time to get more details. Will probably do it dueing next visit to Premji.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is this possible - Tubes in Tubeless Tyres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Question 1: I would like to know if anyone has done anything like this (putting tubes in tubeless tyres) or has any experience of the same? What are the pitfalls?
Yeah you can and that's what we did some time back during a road trip. My friend's car had taken a hit and couldnt find any dealer selling S-drives for the 16xx kms trip.The sidewall had ruptured, we put in a tube and drove along the whole trip. Was a tad bit careful while driving though. Came back home and get a new tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Question 2: The car is a Logan Diesel, and is running standard tyre sizes. Since, I will be changing one pair, and intend to put these up front, is it a good idea to upsize a wee bit? If yes, then what upsize is recommended?
When you size you mean to say increase the dia of the tire or only the section width of the tires ? If the dia is gonna remain the same and its only the section width there is no problems. You can increase it by one size or so.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks