Team-BHP - Dealer sold me 4-year old tyres!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Dealer sold me 4-year old tyres! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/257945-dealer-sold-me-4-year-old-tyres.html)

Friends,

I have been duped by a JK tyre sub dealer in Bangalore by selling 2018 manufactured tyres in 2022 at new price !.

My Nissan Teana which had done 65000kms was due for third set of tyre change. First set was Bridgestone which came with the car and second set we switched to Michelin. Due to less usages in pandemic lock downs tyres got hard and cracks developed.
Brought all 4 new JK tyres from a dealer in Bangalore and got them fitted. After alignment and balancing car was always dragging to left. Tried re alignment 4 times with Madhu's,after putting their best of the best efforts they declared that issue is with the tyre or its pattern and advised to contact JK team.
JK team readily agreed to replace all the tyres as they considered customer satisfaction as the top priority. When tyre number codes was send across to them, they found that these tyres are of 2018 manufactured and denied replacement.

I would request all to verify tyre manufactured dates personally before fitment.

** Tyre invoice with dealer info to be shared shortly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajith (Post 5419713)
I have been duped by a JK tyre sub dealer in Bangalore by selling 2018 manufactured tyres in 2022 at new price !.

I cannot comment on the price but typical shelf life of tyres is more than 4 years. I wouldn't buy 4 year old tyres for my car, but I am saying, there will be tyres from 2018 which would have no real issues, maybe you were just unlucky here.

Quote:

Brought all 4 new JK tyres from a dealer in Bangalore and got them fitted. After alignment and balancing car was always dragging to left. Tried re alignment 4 times with Madhu's,after putting their best of the best efforts they declared that issue is with the tyre or its pattern and advised to contact JK team.

Sometimes all of us start looking for the best price forgetting dealer reputation. Had this been bought at a reputable place like Madhus, I am assuming they would have replaced the tyres when they couldn't align them for you.

Quote:

JK team readily agreed to replace all the tyres as they considered customer satisfaction as the top priority. When tyre number codes was send across to them, they found that these tyres are of 2018 manufactured and denied replacement.

I would request all to verify tyre manufactured dates personally before fitment.

Tyre manufacturing dates are on the tyre. I am sure this has been discussed many times on the forum before but it is something no one should miss when they are looking at buying new tyres.

Which dealer did you buy it from ? Also, did you ask the dealer about the age of the tyre before fitting ?

Quote:

Brought all 4 new JK tyres from a dealer in Bangalore and got them fitted.

When tyre number codes was send across to them, they found that these tyres are of 2018 manufactured and denied replacement.

This is a basic 101 check that needs to be done for tire/tyre purchases.

Even JK tires website (link) states the easy means to check the manufacturing date of the tires.

See what you can get out of the dealer but a significant part of the error lies in your hands for not doing this basic check while purchasing the tires. I doubt if the dealer will help you any further unless there's some verbal/written commitment of the tires being in warranty period (or current year).

Quote:

Friends,

Tyres that have been sitting in storage for 4 years will have a life of only 3-4 years after fitting on the car. But it isn't inherently dangerous.

However, what is cheating on the part of the dealer, in my opinion, would be that he not only did not disclose the manufacturing date (caveat emptor) but also that he did not inform you that your useful tyre life is lower than the expected 7-8 years. Price of each tyre would also have to come down based on that basis, and clearly the dealer charged you full price.

If you had seen the below thread, I doubt that you would have even opted for JK Tyres:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...g-quality.html

Unlike edibles, these products don't have an expiry or Best by date. As such, the dealer hasn't done anything illegal. Reach out to the JK dealer and try to sort this out.

PS: Did JK team mention why they are denying replacement? Do they have a rule or a best by date beyond which they don't provide warranty even if purchased new? If yes, you can use this notification from the manufacturer and your tyre purchase receipt to fight/resolve this with the dealer.

Dealer was through one of my friends reference. Keeping good faith i didn't insist my driver to check year of manufacturing or never imagined to have such a deviation so took checking part lightly. Agree that this was my mistake due to over confidence, that's why i am writing this post so that you folks don't face this.

I preferred JK because in one of my bolero has crossed 1lacs kms with a decent amount of thread still left on it later I changed it for safety.

JK team was ready to replace without a question if it was current year manufacturing. Have escalated the concern to JK Sr team and to the dealer.

JK warranty policy copied from their site-
"Passenger Car tyres (Bias & Radial) For a period of five years from the date of manufacture or from the date of invoice (Proof of purchase is required), or till the tyre tread is worn up to Tread Wear Indicators (TWI), which ever is earlier, irrespective of kilometer covered"

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatalli (Post 5419761)
This is a basict a significant part of the error lies in your hands for not doing this basic check while purchasing the tires. I doubt if the dealer will help you any further unless there's some verbal/written commitment of the tires being in warranty period (or current year).

The dealer will always try to sell off what stocks he has rather than lose money on it. The business is a cash and carry business and not based on credit or consignment with the manufacturer. So the dealers prime motivation will be to sell. One really cannot expect him to be such a transparent fellow who comes and points out the date of manufacture. It is ever quite possible that the chap who took out these particular tyres may have done so in a ‘mechanical’ manner without any thought whatsoever.

So finally it is the age old ‘caveat emptor’ - buyer beware which kicks in. I would definitely agree that it is the buyer’s responsibility as part of his/ her inspection process, to check the manufacturing date on all the tyres being purchased, prior to paying and taking delivery of them.

Despite the fact that you did not check their dates of manufacture while purchasing, had the tyres fared well with their duties, issues would have not surfaced.

Now, as there was a misrepresentation and lapse on the JK tyre dealer's part, the issue needs to be mutually settled by the tyre maker and their delinquent dealer. And this settlement should be to the customer's benefit, with an equitable resolution. The word "benefit" needs to be better read as "justice for the customer", as the customer is not being benefitted in any way whatsoever, but needs to get his due.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 5419756)
Which dealer did you buy it from ? Also, did you ask the dealer about the age of the tyre before fitting ?

Tyre invoice & shop pics attached.

Quote:

Friends,

When tyre number codes was send across to them, they found that these tyres are of 2018 manufactured and denied replacement.

The week, when the tyre was manufactured, is clearly shown in the pics attached. "3318" - 33rd week of 2018!

My two cents - For a car like the Tiena, you should treat it with better-quality shoes!

Its natural for any type of seller to sell older stocks first, every now and then we come across this practice. Whether new tyres or new car, checking manufacturing date of tyres is mandatory, as rubber naturally degrades and harden even without use.

Quote:

..After alignment and balancing car was always dragging to left. Tried re alignment 4 times with Madhu's,after putting their best of the best efforts they declared that issue is with the tyre or its pattern and advised to contact JK team...

If not attempted yet, do give tyre rotation a try.

I am surprised that JK tyre is denying warranty.
The price of the tyre includes the warranty. You should be given warranty even if you did not check the manufacturing date.
There is definitely some issue with the tyres, most probably due to poor storage.
Keep insisting on warranty from the manufacturer through the dealer.

JKs and Ceats were always on my No List. These instances just keeps this list going.

Regarding checks: I got 4 Yokohama Geolandars in Nov 20 and the date of manufacturing was 38/20 which is Sept 20. Yes, we can get less than 2 month old tyres also if we search well.

Tyre and batteries are two things that need Manufacturing date check at the time of purchase. Batteries should not be 3 month old and tyres should not be 1 year old when you purchase them. People will say engine oil also, but they are quite stable even for 4 years, if stored in sealed condition.

If someone is selling you more than 1 year old and less than 2 year old tyre, you can go for them provided you are getting a discount and provided the tyre is from a good manufacturer like Bridgestone, Michelin, Yokohama and the likes. 4 years is a big No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighRevving (Post 5419739)
Sometimes all of us start looking for the best price forgetting dealer reputation. Had this been bought at a reputable place like Madhus, I am assuming they would have replaced the tyres when they couldn't align them for you.

Hi, Madhus doesn't sell JK Tyres, and jktyre.com isn't having correct details of dealers location at least for Bangalore location. RNS motors sells JK tyres just in case someone wants to buy from a reputed dealer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiloAlpha (Post 5419764)

If you had seen the below thread, I doubt that you would have even opted for JK Tyres:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...g-quality.html

If someone wants to replace just one or two tyres, they'd tend to go with same brand as the remaining tyres, and if it happens to be JK, then new buys would be again JK in spite of known quality issues.