Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2024, 22:57   #1
BHPian

JK Tyres Puncture Guard Solution

I was seeing IPL and came across the below TV AD.

https://punctureguard.jktyre.com/staging/tvc.mp4

I searched in the forum and I could not find any discussion around this one especially for cars.

This advertises a product that is branded as JK "Puncture guard" tyres.
I was intrigued by the idea and tried to do some research, but there is not much literature available to decide on a yay or a nay.
I do see that it has been available from JK Tyres since Mid 2022.

This completely takes the hassle out of even the easiest of the plugging strips and kind of self heals.
We just need to take out the intruder and fill the air and we are done.

Theoretically, this is a much better solution for cars that have run flat tyres and no spares.
And this is a great boon to people like me who do not take the car out alone because of the fear of getting a puncture in the middle of a trip and my bungling hands, with fat fingers, may not be able to get the DIY puncture done, along with the limited flexibility in the lower limb(s).

But then, why didnt any OEM jump up on this or why is this not all the rage?
I do not see much interest on this even in an enthusiast's forum like ours.
So obviously there is something that is keeping the crowds away and needs a compromise of some form - Noise, cost, comfort et.al.

Obviously if the product is that good it should have been gobbled up, though they advertise that it is only good for punctures not exceeding 6 mm breadth.
But neither have many discussed about it nor do people think it is worth a mention.

Anyone in the know, can they share their practical experience or theoretical/ hypothetical knowledge on this topic?
Old 27th March 2024, 02:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: JK Tyres Puncture Guard Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by careind View Post
Anyone in the know, can they share their practical experience or theoretical/ hypothetical knowledge on this topic?
We have had discussions on the DIY version of this which was called "Tyre Slime" I believe and is one of several products that do the same thing. The liquid is filled into the tyre of your choice whereas the JK one comes prefilled possibly ? Or is it filled in by the dealer after fitting the tyre on the rim ?
Anyways some of its drawbacks include causing issues in wheel balancing, drying up in a year or two and then being hard to remove from the inner wall of the tyre and rim.
I guess we came to the conclusion that for a permanent fill it's good on a tyre that's at the end of it's life so that it can be cleaned up easily when fitting new tyres.
The other option is to buy the type of slime that comes with a charged gas can so that you can seal the puncture and inflate the tyre in one go for emergency usage until you can get a proper fix.
I don't think that this is compatible with run flats.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th March 2024 at 07:20. Reason: Please quote only relevant portion while replying.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 12:48   #3
BHPian

Re: JK Tyres Puncture Guard Solution

Quote:
I searched in the forum and I could not find any discussion around this one especially for cars.

I was intrigued by the idea and tried to do some research, but there is not much literature available to decide on a yay or a nay.
It has already been discussed enough in the forum. This is an anti-puncture liquid that is poured into the tire, and as mentioned above, it adds some weight. So, if you pour in this liquid, it's going to make the tire heavier and mess with the balance when you're speeding along. Not a great combo for a smooth ride.

Ref - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4264392 (2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km)

It was filled without notifying him, and the first thing he did was clean it up. It made the tire behave strangely. It seems it was available for a long time; I guess the JK tire dealer itself will fill it during the fitting time. Even in ads, I could see that it's a liquid and nothing new.

When I saw the ads, I initially thought the police would start using nail spikes and the robbers would escape with these anti-puncture tires. I assumed ads seemed to be promoting their tire as a tool for robbers, but it turned out to be quite the opposite.
Old 27th March 2024, 13:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
It has already been discussed enough in the forum. This is an anti-puncture liquid that is poured into the tire, and as mentioned above, it adds some weight.
I sense there is probably a disconnect on my intent for the thread. We are projecting the disadvantages of the DIY stuff onto the product.

The Anti puncture liquid would be a DIY , either from the dealer end or from user end.
It would lack the finesse of a company finish and the uniformity of the liquid spreading would mostly be left to chance as we may not have any way to measure.
Moreover, different manufactures may have different densities and the end state weight of the tyre would differ.
This could also potentially void the warranty of the OEM tyre.

But now that this is a product from the manufacturer itself, there would be warranties and also processes/metrics to confirm the uniformity, make the compound more robust so that it does not form clumps, better density handling et.al. so that the end product would be better than a DIY hack and we can look forward to more product improvements in the future.

Effectively in conclusion, what I gather is that people are quite doubtful of the product based on the experiences of the DIY with the liquid - which is fair.

Also there are no "wow" stories from people who dared to use it, which adds more doubts and we are not any closer to unravelling the mystery.

Last edited by careind : 27th March 2024 at 13:28.
Old 27th March 2024, 13:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
We have had discussions on the DIY version of this which was called "Tyre Slime" I believe and is one of several products that do the same thing.

I don't think that this is compatible with run flats.
Yeah. I was not opining it would be compatible with runflats, rather I was thinking it as an alternate.
Runflats are compromised tyres which would aid you to go to the nearest dealer, as most run flat fitted vehicles may not have a spare in the boot.
At the most positive end of the spectrum, self healing tyres would not compromise your tyres and need to be taken care of immediately.

We all had our own aspersions when we undertook the tyre journey with nylon, radial, tubeless etc. as and when each new tyre technology revolutions became available. I guess time will tell on this one too.
Old 27th March 2024, 13:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
The Anti puncture liquid would be a DIY , either from the dealer end or from user end.
It would lack the finesse of a company finish and the uniformity of the liquid spreading would mostly be left to chance as we may not have any way to measure. But now that this is a product from the manufacturer itself, we can look forward to more product improvements in the future.
Not just to highlight the cons, but what I personally feel is that it's still a DIY job, yet carried out by JK Tyre fitting shops themselves, but with a unique promotional approach. They introduced JK SmartTyre, essentially fitting an external TPMS to their tires and branding it as a 'smart tyre'. In fact, I use JK TPMS, which is designed for their tires, but it works fine with my CEAT tires too. They've marketed it in a similar fashion, creating their own anti-puncture sealant and promoting it alongside their tires. Let's see if there are any reviews on this. In my opinion, until it's directly factory-fitted in cars and approved by car manufacturers, it won't have a significant impact on cars because of tyre manufacturers credibility.

Quote:
I sense there is probably a disconnect on my intent for the thread. We are projecting the disadvantages of the DIY stuff onto the product.
Not in that way, if there's another method to prevent punctures besides filling sealant in the tyre, such as incorporating changes directly into the tyre itself, that would indeed represent an improvement until then its not something new, its just a tyre manufacter promoting their own sealant along with their tyres.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 14:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
Not just to highlight the cons, but what I personally feel is that it's still a DIY job, yet carried out by JK Tyre fitting shops themselves, but with a unique promotional approach.
I do agree that if this is not a product, then it is just a DIY hack and would not be worth pursuing.

The patronage indicates that could be it. I will try to get a lowdown when I next visit a JK tyre shop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks