Team-BHP - having a lowprofile tyres higher rimsize Vs having high profile tyres smaller rimsize
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   having a lowprofile tyres higher rimsize Vs having high profile tyres smaller rimsize (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/35164-having-lowprofile-tyres-higher-rimsize-vs-having-high-profile-tyres-smaller-rimsize.html)

i wanted to know the pros and cons of having the following combinations:-

the high profile tyres with lower rim sizes and

having low profile tyres with higher rim sizes.

well AFAIK the high profile tyres with lower/stock rim sizes for the same specified diameter of a car, actually give better ride comfort,costs less and does not mess up the odo meter reading too much, apart from this are there any technical pros and cons please share your knowledge on the same.
here, what i actually have in mind is that for my viva crdi, i want to buy in 13*6J alloys and put in either 205/60-R13 or 195/65-R13, instead of up sizing it to 14 or 15 inchers this way i get to buy the alloys now and run my stock tyres(175/70-R13) for another 10K Kms.
or the up sizing of rim sizes have far more more pros than cons compared to the 13inch size?

and the low profile tyres with higher rim sizes, are the current trend, the pros i know are they look really dashing, have lower ride comfort, and prone to damage on our roads!, and are expensive incomparision!( i mean both the tyre and the wheel!)
what their pros and cons over the above configuration(in general too, i mean why is the current trend going this way?)?

also forgot to mention all the old race cars like the mustangs and plymuths have high profile tyres while the new age race cars have low profile? well please do explain this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rider60 (Post 712635)
also forgot to mention all the old race cars like the mustangs and plymuths have high profile tyres while the new age race cars have low profile? well please do explain this!

The advantage of low profile tires is that since the profile of the tires is less,there is reduced flexing of the sidewall under cornering whereas in a high profile tie,there is greater side wall flexing and the handling of the car gets destroyed.Mustangs and most of the american cars had high profile tires because these cars couldn't corner at all due to their size,weight,suspension structure.
Nowadays cars have lower profile tires compared to cars of yester-years due to a great advancement in suspension technology and tire/rim technology.So cars today would give you better handling and similar ride comfort compared o the cars of the 60's even though there would be a vast difference in the sizes of the tires(profile).

you have already explained the pros and cons of the subject already.i dont think there is any other advantages apart from what you have told.
ram

Advantages of a high profile tire -

1. Gives good ride comfort. Great on indian bumpy roads.
2. Cheaper cost
3. Better FE.

Advantages of low profile tire -
1. Good handling on corners at high speed.
2. great looks.
3. Better Braking capability.

The advantage of one is the disadvantage of the other. All in all if you are not into track racing and don't care about looks one should go for higher profile tires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFan (Post 712786)
Advantages of a high profile tire -

3. Better FE.

How come ? Any factors which causes this

Quote:

Originally Posted by low_bass_makker (Post 712805)
How come ? Any factors which causes this

If we consider a car with low profile tyres and high profile tyres. The high profile tyre would have lesser width than low profile tyres.

For example you have 215 low profile tyres and stock size is 165 or 185 with 80 and 70 profile....

Also to add to the Mustang & older sports cars sporting higher-profile tyres question, thing is that Low-Profile tyres were invented by Pirelli in conjunction with Lancia (for their Stratos rally car) in 1974 as the then available tyres could not handle the power of that beast!

Subsequently, Porsche started using low-pro tyres on it's 911 Turbo and by & by they caught on with all sports car manufacturers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpzen (Post 712968)
If we consider a car with low profile tyres and high profile tyres. The high profile tyre would have lesser width than low profile tyres.

For example you have 215 low profile tyres and stock size is 165 or 185 with 80 and 70 profile....

Naa...I am not talking like this.

I am saying if both have 215 low and high profile will they have different FE ?

215 in 2 diff profile means different radius for the wheel when used on the same rim.so the distance travelled will be shown as different and so the calculation of fuel efficiency will be different from the actuals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by low_bass_makker (Post 713272)
Naa...I am not talking like this.

I think this will help you understand what I am saying...

I think both the tyre will have same FE. With a difference of less than 1 % in distance traveled.

so for my viva crdi, will it be good enough if i go in for 60 profile and 205 width on the same rim size that is R13 or 195/65-R13 compared to the stock 175/70-R13?

for i am not that much into cornering, but will this be good enough for our Indian roads for the kind of speeds the stock car does?

I believe 195/65-R13 would be very doable. Your driving height & tire height
would increase by 7,8mm. That's just a 2.7% increase. On your speedo
it would mean that if the speedo states 120kmh, you'd actually be driving
123,3kmh.

Going for R14 rims with 195/55 would be "spot on" wheelsize is practicalle the same!

TDR

Quote:

Originally Posted by low_bass_makker (Post 713272)

Yes 215/65-14 will give more FE than 215/40-18 because of 215/65-14 will be lighter than 215/40-18.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpzen (Post 713689)
Yes 215/65-14 will give more FE than 215/40-18 because of 215/65-14 will be lighter than 215/40-18.

If someone wanted fe,then why would they put 215 section 14'' tires?