Team-BHP - Repair & Paint Santro Steel Rims
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Repair & Paint Santro Steel Rims (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/43764-repair-paint-santro-steel-rims.html)

Hi! My Santro is nearly 6 years old & has logged nearly 70K kilometers. It needs a change of tyres. I plan to buy tubed ones. I was wondering if I could have the dents removed from the old pressed steel rims & also get them painted. Are there any specialized shops I should approach & how much would this cost? I had initially thought of buying new steel rims but they are nearly 1K per piece & I don't want to spend too much now as I am not sure how long I will keep the car.
Thanks in advance.

Doc, I think most good tyre shops will have this done for you. Some might even have rim straightening machines.

I got rim straightening & painting done on my mother's Santro last year before a new set of tubeless tyres went on it. Total cost for 4 wheels was 1700/-.

Thank you for your reply, Sir.
After a little bit of legwork, I was able to find one rim straightening machine in Kolkata. Unfortunately, it has been out of order for the last 6 months. I guess there are no customers, which is somewhat sad, considering the shop was charging only Rs 100 per rim for the job.
@shuvc has suggested that I look for pressed steel rims at alloy rim dealers since most customers sell their original rims when they fit alloys. Sounds great. I would just like to confirm whether the Santro ZipPlus rims are identical to the Santro Xing rims or not. I am sure any Santro rims I'm likely to find will be from Xings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 932768)
I got rim straightening & painting done on my mother's Santro last year before a new set of tubeless tyres went on it. Total cost for 4 wheels was 1700/-.

I'm planning to put tubeless on the Getz, and may have to repair the rims. How has your mother's car been doing - any problems with the repaired rims since then?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nura (Post 936342)
I would just like to confirm whether the Santro ZipPlus rims are identical to the Santro Xing rims or not. I am sure any Santro rims I'm likely to find will be from Xings.

AFAIK there is no difference between the two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by filcord (Post 940813)
I'm planning to put tubeless on the Getz, and may have to repair the rims. How has your mother's car been doing - any problems with the repaired rims since then?

It was run for 30k kms after the rim repairs & subsequently sold off. Never gave any problems till the time we had her.

Sad to say, could not find any spare rims or repairwalla in Panjim. I needed to repair two rims as they were slightly rusted and/or bent. Finally, since I really could not put this off any longer, had to settle for tube-type Bridgestones S-248.:Frustrati

I would suggest you give those off to the tyre dealer and buy a brand new set of santro steel rims.
Should cost in hundreds and would need minimum balancing weights ,if required.
Should last another two tyre changes and you can run tubeless :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 941529)
I would suggest you give those off to the tyre dealer and buy a brand new set of santro steel rims.
Should cost in hundreds and would need minimum balancing weights ,if required. :)

For my Getz, Hyundai in Goa is quoting Rs 1000/- per rim. Since this car is not going to be with me more than another 15 months, I thought with my pocketbook, rather than my heart!

Doc, I'll ask the alloy wheel dealers and get back to you.

Quote:

For my Getz, Hyundai in Goa is quoting Rs 1000/- per rim. Since this car is not going to be with me more than another 15 months, I thought with my pocketbook, rather than my heart!
You should try with tyre dealers or the spare parts market.
Obviously, any dealership/A.S.S. is gonna quote you high prices for spares.