Team-BHP - Tyres for Mercedes Benz E-Class
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Tyres for Mercedes Benz E-Class (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/49992-tyres-mercedes-benz-e-class.html)

I am totally clueless about tyre and need some advice.
Car: Mercedes Benz E220 (w124)
Tyres currently: Apollo Acelere, 195/65 R15.
(Note, I did not choose the current tyres, they were already on the car when I bought it last year).
My requirements:
I need tyres that offer best ride comfort.
I do quite a lot of driving over rough roads, broken roads; hardly ever over smooth tarmac (not that there are many smooth roads in Pune!).
I need tyres that can take abuse and be long lasting.
I DON'T need outright grip and boy racer handling.
The car is designed for outright ride comfort and I want to maintain that. I am in Pune and need tyres that would be readily available locally.
What makes and models and most important at what price are your recommendations? I want to keep same size (195/65 R15)
Thanks

Hi Raja,
You can go for Michelin Energy series which are comfort oriented.Although i personally have not used the Energy till date, i have used Pilot Primacy, Pilot Preceda 1, Pilot Preceda 2, Certis and had no issues till date. I know that Michelin is slightly expensive but its worth it.
No experience about Yokohama so can't comment.
Continental have also arrived in India but not that widespread and slightly expensive too.

My guess is 195/65/R15 should be below 5k for the Michelin Energy MXV8 and Yokohama should be cheaper than Energy.
As i said, i have no clue about Energy life expectancy, but currently i am on my 3rd set of PP2 on the Octy and each set has given me 40k Kms min.
Now considering the weight of the Merc and everything i am guessing you should also be looking at 30-40k Kms from the Energy.
Anyways our very own Tyrewala aka iraghava is the best person to consult in such matters.

my suggestion is bridgestone turanzas. they are supposed to be very tough tyres with good comfort. from what ive heard michelins have thin sidewalls and are prone to sidewall cuts/tears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raja (Post 1078122)
I am totally clueless about tyre and need some advice.
Car: Mercedes Benz E220 (w124)
Tyres currently: Apollo Acelere, 195/65 R15.
(Note, I did not choose the current tyres, they were already on the car when I bought it last year).
My requirements:
I need tyres that offer best ride comfort.
I do quite a lot of driving over rough roads, broken roads; hardly ever over smooth tarmac (not that there are many smooth roads in Pune!).
I need tyres that can take abuse and be long lasting.
I DON'T need outright grip and boy racer handling.
The car is designed for outright ride comfort and I want to maintain that. I am in Pune and need tyres that would be readily available locally.
What makes and models and most important at what price are your recommendations? I want to keep same size (195/65 R15)
Thanks

Raja,
I am using Michelin Pilot Primacy on my E200 (W210). They have clocked 37000 kms so far and i am totally satisfied with them.
I have had no issues with damaged/cut sidewalls so far either in the Mercedes or my Accord which also runs the same tyres.
They are comfortable, low on road noise & have good grip levels . My vote is for the Michelins.
Cheers

Raja, there are lots of options in 195/65 R15. Would you also consider 205/60?

Options in 195/65 are:

Yokohama A.Drive
Michelin Energy XM1+
Michelin Energy MXV8
Bridgestone Turanza ER30
Bridgestone Turanza ER60
Bridgestone Turanza ER300

Thanks for the suggestions. Yesterday I met up with the Pune 'Usual Suspects' and they highly recommended the Michelin PP2 (I presume that means Pilot Preceda 2).

iraghava, what would be the benefits of choosing the larger tyre size? (Ride comfort being no.1 priority). Are the tyre you have mentioned above the main recommendations that come in 65 series?

Just checked Michelin India website and they don't do 65 rating in PP2, only energy (as mentioned above by iraghava).

What are the rough prices of the tyres mentioned? Is there a major difference between the cheapest and most expensive?

Thanks

PP2 although a good tyre is more performance oriented and is slightly harsh in terms of ride quality.(Correct me if i am wrong)
Also PP2 is expensive compared to Energy series.

iraghava must have suggested 205/60 just because there is more variety in this size, am i right ishan ?

For your use i would not recommend PP2 as its simply not comfort oriented and as far as i know you, you wont be pushing her around or will ya ? :P

Na Amey, I would probably use a proper performance car (like Yours, keys please :D) if I wanted to do performance driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raja (Post 1079412)
Thanks for the suggestions. Yesterday I met up with the Pune 'Usual Suspects' and they highly recommended the Michelin PP2 (I presume that means Pilot Preceda 2).

iraghava, what would be the benefits of choosing the larger tyre size? (Ride comfort being no.1 priority).

I run the PP2's on my C220. Great tyres & awesome grip. However, they do have a stiffer edge to them (being performance oriented) and hence, aren't for those looking at sheer ride quality. Go with the other Michelin range that Irags has recommended.

PP2's are not for your driving style Raja. Leave them out & choose amongst ones I've shortlisted. And I was suggestion 205/60 in case you wanted a slightly broader tyre. Apart from the looks there won't be much difference in the performance of the two sizes.

Hows the MRF tyres? I am about to change the tyres for my E220 (W221), had Michelin and Bridgestone , both gave me 20k Kms, Any other better option? Hows Yokohama?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mt.olympus (Post 2073875)
Hows the MRF tyres? I am about to change the tyres for my E220 (W221), had Michelin and Bridgestone , both gave me 20k Kms, Any other better option? Hows Yokohama?

well buddy, everything else is better than MRF and CEAT, spend some time searching for reviews in Tye and Alloy section and you will understand.

hi
i think new Michelin ps3 is a better option than
pp2 pp2 has become old tecnology
is ps3 is avaible in india this can be a good option
also if Bridgestone Turanza re 11 if avaible is a fanatasic tire
i am using it in my skoda octavia simply superb
narry

How about Yokahama? will it get better road grip and more life? Also should i go for nitrogen air?

First fix on the size.

PS3 isnt available in India apart from 195/50 R15 and one 17" size.

For comfort and Mercs are all about comfort, especially the old ones, dont even think of anything else apart from the Primacy LCs.