Team-BHP - Punctures in tubeless tyres.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Punctures in tubeless tyres. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/7136-punctures-tubeless-tyres.html)

I got a flat tubeless tyre fixed ,a few days ago in Madurai.All he did was remove the nail with pliers,insert a 2" plug which was kinda sticky,cut the excess of it jutting out of the tyre surface,inflated the tyre & checked for leaks by dipping in a tub of water.It worked well. It still is.But,I had a flat in another tyre yesterday & got it fixed on JC road.He removed a nail,removed the tyre from the rim,put a sticker from inside,refixed the tyre & inflated it....Two different ways of fixing a puncture.....Which is Right ??? :confused:

I guess both work well. But, i guess a good puncture kit would mend the punctured area in a better way as the sticky substance you insert into the tyre ends up being a part of the tyre and not some sticker.

The sticker can be used if the punctured area is bigger than what the puncture kit can handle.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu
I guess both work well. But, i guess a good puncture kit would mend the punctured area in a better way as the sticky substance you insert into the tyre ends up being a part of the tyre and not some sticker.

Shan2nu

i have heard that you get these puncture kits for tubeless tyres. r those only for puncture repair shops or also available for normal tubeless tyre users like us and where can we find them in Mumbai. this might be stupid but i had this for long on my mind.

shubbhi

Puncture repair kits are freely available. You should be able to get them at any decent tyre shop or car accessory shop. They cost about Rs.300 or so depending on the number of plugs etc.

The sticker can sometimes ensure that your balancing goes for a toss if the tyre is not mounted back in the same position

The first method is IMO is the proper way of getting it done. Patch work doesnt work well on tubeless tyres

Dippy

Quote:

i have heard that you get these puncture kits for tubeless tyres. r those only for puncture repair shops or also available for normal tubeless tyre users like us and where can we find them in Mumbai.
as RTech said it is available in any tyre shop
some tyre companies also give it as complementry when buying tubless set of tyres.
it also comes with instruction manual & if you have foot pump then the work can be done without any need to go to tyre shop.

I also remember when the first time puncture of my tubless tyres was done I kept asking that guy IS THAT IT? IS THAT IT? untill he really got annoyed

Last week I travelled from Bangalore to Kerala and my Optra's tubeless tyre got punctured in a remote location in Kerala and had a real tough time finding someone who could fix it!! I took it to a tyre shop and he tried to put a sticker and some gum, but did not work. The I called up GM help desk and they strongly recommended taking it to GM workshop only, and nearest one was more than 300 kms away :-)

Finally I managed to fing a repair guy who fixed it for me by putting in the plug. I wanted to buy the repair kit, but he told me that it would cost around Rs.500. I asked few shops in Kerala but none of them had it. Any idea where to get it from in Bangalore?

I think it will take some time for the repair guys in many towns to pick up the skills in fixing a tubeless tyre puncture!!

- Manu

The "sticker" is called a Tyre patch. A "sticky plug" called inserts are used for nail hole repairs. Easy to install because you dont have to dismount the tyre from the rim. But problem is when the nail hole is larger than the size of the plug and has damaged a few plys inside the tyre, then inserts does not work and a patch has to be installed. The repair patch works fine if it is installed by a good experiance tyre repairman. Plug or Patch both are standard repair procedures if done correctly.

sn

I had a similar instance on my trip to goa and luckily I was carrying the plug kit as they call it..the puncture guy didn't have it and he told me that it would take cpl of hours as he didn't have the "injection kit" as he called it. I told him I have it and it was fixed in 5 mins. Its a simple method and if I knew how to do it..I would have done it myself.

It looked as if it won't last howevevr its working fine eversince...:-) Its better then getting tube changed or repaired. Though I am keeping my fingures crossed as it had a big nut embedded and this sticky plug looked like a simple fix - not going to last types.

I am also driving Getz [2 months]and have installed goodyear 175/70 13 tubeless tyres.i have not yet experienced tyre puncture.In comparison to with tube tyres can tube less tyres be driven for some distance without fixing it or we have to fix it as soon as it is punctured?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsjaurr
I am also driving Getz [2 months]and have installed goodyear 175/70 13 tubeless tyres.i have not yet experienced tyre puncture.In comparison to with tube tyres can tube less tyres be driven for some distance without fixing it or we have to fix it as soon as it is punctured?

I was actually driving with a nail in each rear tyre for 3 months, even 100/200Kms highway drives. One tyre was leaking air consistently, so I knew there was a puncture. Turns out both the rear tyres had a nail each. Since I had a battery operated inflater, I was filling in whenever it went low. Now I need to buy a punture kit just in case I get a longer cut/hole, which will deflate the tyre instantly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai
I was actually driving with a nail in each rear tyre for 3 months, even 100/200Kms highway drives. One tyre was leaking air consistently, so I knew there was a puncture. Turns out both the rear tyres had a nail each. Since I had a battery operated inflater, I was filling in whenever it went low. Now I need to buy a puncture kit just in case I get a longer cut/hole, which will deflate the tyre instantly.

were you waiting for disaster to happen before getting tyres repaired?

Quote:

Originally Posted by adya33
were you waiting for disaster to happen before getting tyres repaired?

No. I was not very sure it was a punture at first, when it become quite routine (2-3 psi/week) I decided to get it checked. Besides, I knew by experience that a nail or two in tubeless tyres is no problem. Filling air often is the only hassle.

About 4 years back I drove my Acura for 4 months (~4000 miles) with a big nail in it. I didn't know it, I often had to fill air and was wondering why the air leaking. At a routine service the problem was detected. I shuddered when I found out, but the Acura technician said it was quite common, nothing to worry about. He said you can keep driving with nails until you find time to fix it, filling air is the only problem.

Once I had an instant deflation because of a long punture, I drove over a long metal strip, filling air won't work in that case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsjaurr

You can wait for as long as you like. Just keep the nail in the tyre, and keep topping up air. When you pull out the nail, be ready to mend the puncture at once.