Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2013, 08:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Good morning from Lavasa. About twelve cars made the steep climb yesterday. But the weather was excellent(cold) and the lavasa corporation had made extremely good arrangements for the participants. There was a display of all the cars on the promenade and a special jazz concert was held they even invited model aditi gowitrikar to pose with owners and their cars. All and all it was a fun day. Enjoyed by all after the stressful drive from Mumbai. There were talks of this becoming a annual event from Mumbai and lot of suggestions were received from all participants to make it better
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image862245139.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image4184447719.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image1428047023.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image1447059240.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image3847571936.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image2355671997.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image1768213623.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image529798858.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image4171630421.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image4270602241.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image1323993520.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image4001813244.jpg  

the mole is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 16:45   #17
BHPian

Re: The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)

Nice pictures!

But, I expected the Packard to be photographed at Lavassa.

Looks like Lavassa laid out the red carpet treatment for the participants, some cars pictured at the start are not seen later. Did they not make it all the way up?

The unrestored Cheverolet for example.

Karl may not agree, but I feel a decent paint job would preserve the metal for years to come, especially keeping in mind the climate in Bombay. I can understand a car in original paint, maintained from the beginning in decent condition not being re painted, but once a car has reached this stage, I would re paint to preserve the original metal for future generations to enjoy.

But , this is my opinion! Ultimately it is for the current owner to decide what he wishes to do.

Lovely car, hope it gives the family many more miles of motoring pleasure.

Last edited by Bulldogji : 15th December 2013 at 16:56.
Old 15th December 2013, 17:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Nice pictures! But, I expected the Packard to be photographed at Lavassa. Looks like Lavassa laid out the red carpet treatment for the participants, some cars pictured at the start are not seen later. Did they not make it all the way up? The unrestored Cheverolet for example. Karl may not agree, but I feel a decent paint job would preserve the metal for years to come, especially keeping in mind the climate in Bombay. I can understand a car in original paint, maintained from the beginning in decent condition not being re painted, but once a car has reached this stage, I would re paint to preserve the original metal for future generations to enjoy. But , this is my opinion! Ultimately it is for the current owner to decide what he wishes to do. Lovely car, hope it gives the family many more miles of motoring pleasure.
True the Packard and the Cadillac both were scheduled for Lavasa till the Airoli Bridge and then all haywire . So we respectfully drove them back to the garage and ;( headed back home. Little check on the Packard and drove her to the regular run to Starbucks and for the fiat run. Cadillac is waiting for the Doctor to give the fitness certificate .

Lavasa must have been real fun and will wait for lots of snaps and insight from- Those who made it up and back . Casualties not known yet of the event except for a MERC of Mole .

Owner to decide on his car which he will surely know what's best for now . Though the cars has really not rusted rusted for a Bombay car .

A spic and span pic ! Attached Of the two cars

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image3488425397.jpg  

kasli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 20:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
some cars pictured at the start are not seen later. Did they not make it all the way up? The unrestored Cheverolet for example.
The impala performed really well considering that it was pulled out of the garage after 40 odd yrs ( I am told) the originality on the car is to be seen to be believed. I am sure the owner faces quite a conundrum to decide what should be done. We posed this question to many in our group and there were no definite answers. It was definitely eye candy for my eyes. Especially when I looked under the rear wing and felt and saw that the original paint was 100% intact.

Some picture for people who have never seen the car. Performed brilliantly! Except for a broken fan belt at the beginning of the run she sailed through very smoothly.

And finally a parting shot of harits Packard charging down the terrible lavasa ghat where even new cars struggle!
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image2308113096.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image3753566653.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image242621057.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image1610266913.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image2833251891.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image3596466950.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image3085179804.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-image1612161118.jpg  

the mole is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 02:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
True the Packard and the Cadillac both were scheduled for Lavasa till the Airoli Bridge and then all haywire . So we respectfully drove them back to the garage and ;( headed back home. Little check on the Packard and drove her to the regular run to Starbucks and for the fiat run. Cadillac is waiting for the Doctor to give the fitness certificate .

Lavasa must have been real fun and will wait for lots of snaps and insight from- Those who made it up and back . Casualties not known yet of the event except for a MERC of Mole .

Owner to decide on his car which he will surely know what's best for now . Though the cars has really not rusted rusted for a Bombay

Cheers

What were your cars doing on the Airoli bridge?

The start was from the Bandra side of the sea link and for those coming from the suburbs, Mc Donald's at the start of the Expressway??

What went so horribly wrong that you had to abandon the journey? And Moles lovely merc? Did she also fail to proceed??
Old 16th December 2013, 08:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. What were your cars doing on the Airoli bridge? The start was from the Bandra side of the sea link and for those coming from the suburbs, Mc Donald's at the start of the Expressway?? What went so horribly wrong that you had to abandon the journey? And Moles lovely merc? Did she also fail to proceed??
The Cadillac plugs fouled completely and clipper there was a massive rattle near the fan on deceleration & the mistake was found later to be the return pipe clips which have given way and touched the fan. Noise on the engine side is always something I am always scared of so just turned around & drove like a turtle and parked the cars. Cars were at Andheri so via Powai it's the best way for me to reach Vashi thru Airoli Mole I think had a Gasket issue but he would elaborate further on this while he carried on in a comfortable cinquecento Cheers

Last edited by kasli : 16th December 2013 at 08:22.
Old 16th December 2013, 09:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. And Moles lovely merc? Did she also fail to proceed??
My merc could not make it for this drive. Two days before this drive my mechanic was checking the car for fitness when at worli sea face the car started missing. So we opened up the engine and found that the gasket had literally burnt away and that the head would have to be faced along with the block. Luckily this happened in Bombay. There was absolutely no indication from the car. No loss of water, no overheating. Strange. Even till she started misfiring the engine power delivery continued to be good. This was so much at the last minute that I had to take my wife's new fiat 500 as the other cars were in Pune And there was no time to get them running. I don't think my car will be on the road for atleast a month now as parts are being awaited and Germany is closed for Christmas.
Old 16th December 2013, 10:21   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karl may not agree, but I feel a decent paint job would preserve the metal for years to come, especially keeping in mind the climate in Bombay. I can understand a car in original paint, maintained from the beginning in decent condition not being re painted, but once a car has reached this stage, I would re paint to preserve the original metal for future generations to enjoy.
Don't get me wrong - should the rot start to be a worry I too would agree that some action must be taken - usually in the form of a top coat. Its just that I would enjoy using the car as is for a while, then attend to it before things get too nasty. Anyway I dont think it is original paint on this car.

What is really remarkable though is how minimal the rust is. Quite a stunning car - and should be enjoyable to use. I should think parts supply would be excellent and not prohibitively expensive too.

Here is some press coverage from Pune

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-lancia.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 16th December 2013 at 11:01.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 11:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Don't get me wrong - should the rot start to be a worry I too would agree that some action must be taken - usually in the form of a top coat. Its just that I would enjoy using the car as is for a while, then attend to it before things get too nasty. Anyway I dont think it is original paint on this car. What is really remarkable though is how minimal the rust is. Quite a stunning car - and should be enjoyable to use. I should think parts supply would be excellent and not prohibitively expensive too. Here is some press coverage from Pune
The plan is to get her mechanically all right first. Lavasa drive was the litmus test. She made it fine except for a few brake issues. I really got held up because the fan belt shredded and the spare was a smaller one - ordered but not checked by my mechanic! Luckily we had the flatbed following and he happened to be outside Lonavala at the time. Instructed him to go in to Lonavala and get a belt. Measured size with a twine obtained from the expressway patrol guys and got the right size. Had to wait for an hour on the expressway for all this, but it was par for the course for a '59 asleep for many years.

Surface rust is not much but there's much rust underneath. Will start on the body soon. If she's not taken care of now, it's only going to spread.
4wdrifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 14:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Don't get me wrong - should the rot start to be a worry I too would agree that some action must be taken - usually in the form of a top coat. Its just that I would enjoy using the car as is for a while, then attend to it before things get too nasty. Anyway I dont think it is original paint on this car.

What is really remarkable though is how minimal the rust is. Quite a stunning car - and should be enjoyable to use. I should think parts supply would be excellent and not prohibitively expensive too.

Here is some press coverage from Pune

Attachment 1179170
Karl Is there such a car called Volkswagen tempo? Or as usual is it some retard correspondent/news paper person who drafted this article without detail orientation which has become extremely widespread in recent times.

Last edited by canonball : 16th December 2013 at 14:02.
Old 16th December 2013, 14:57   #26
BHPian

Here are some more pictures of the event:
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-img_9845.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-img_9848.jpg  

Vintage car drive from Mumbai to Lavasa - Pics and report-img_9868.jpg  

4wdrifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 15:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Karl Is there such a car called Volkswagen tempo? Or as usual is it some retard correspondent/news paper person who drafted this article without detail orientation which has become extremely widespread in recent times.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post397451
http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...elwagen/7379/1

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 16th December 2013 at 16:24.
Old 16th December 2013, 20:07   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't this the same car I posted a few posts above ?
Featured in today's TOI.
Attached Images

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th December 2013 at 05:36. Reason: corrected image orientations & removed duplicate image. Thanks
///RMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 22:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post
Isn't this the same car I posted a few posts above ? Featured in today's TOI.
Yes when did you photograph the car? It's connecting broke on the highway on route to lavasa it can't have been out for a drive on Sunday. It had to be trucked back
Old 17th December 2013, 00:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Yes when did you photograph the car? It's connecting broke on the highway on route to lavasa it can't have been out for a drive on Sunday. It had to be trucked back
How many cars left for Lavassa and how many finally made it??

What were the problems encountered enroute?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks