Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2014, 11:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Concern: Museums taking vintage cars off the road?

It is a dream of most enthusiasts to own as many vintage and classic cars and to be able to showcase them. World over many 100's of such museums exist and thrive.

To me its a matter of concern with so many museums cropping up all over India , we might debate that its good for the movement because generations young and old could be inspired , cars would be saved and history preserved, makes sense.

My biggest concern is that once a car enters a museum, it effectively becomes unavailable forever to other enthusiasts, there are large number of collectors even many hoarders who have amassed great cars over the years, but these private collectors , time and again sell their cars, reduce the collection, a family member passes away , and the other sell the cars, giving opportunity to others to own and enjoy, this is healthy.

The museums are a delight to go to, but most museums could be owned and managed by trusts, look at the great cars in the Pranlal Bhogilal collection, kudos to them for saving them in the years when most would have been scrapped , but what now, most of them will never ply on the roads again, they might never even get restored to what they should be.

To me its okay in the western countries, with their huge supplies and thriving markets with thousands of cars, not here, what if in next 15-20 years, all major collectors turn into museum owners, as it is all the cherries have been picked and rarely is a great car in the market (except for an inner circle of a select few).

100's of cars are now displayed in museums nationwide and many collectors are in the process of setting up museums, end of the day its their cars, their money, their wish, but sad for the young enthusiasts and future generations.
KartikeyaL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 11:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Concern: Museums taking vintage cars off the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
100's of cars are now displayed in museums nationwide and many collectors are in the process of setting up museums, end of the day its their cars, their money, their wish, but sad for the young enthusiasts and future generations.
Time is cruel! and nothing is permanent. See the history of automotive museums globally. Many had to be liquidated in hard times. So stop worrying I say and enjoy our times
the mole is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 12:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is a dream of most enthusiasts to own as many vintage and classic cars and to be able to showcase them. World over many 100's of such museums exist and thrive.

To me its a matter of concern with so many museums cropping up all over India, we might debate that its good for the movement because generations young and old could be inspired , cars would be saved and history preserved, makes sense.

My biggest concern is that once a car enters a museum, it effectively becomes unavailable forever to other enthusiasts, there are large number of collectors even many hoarders who have amassed great cars over the years, but these private collectors , time and again sell their cars, reduce the collection, a family member passes away , and the other sell the cars, giving opportunity to others to own and enjoy, this is healthy.

The museums are a delight to go to, but most museums could be owned and managed by trusts, look at the great cars in the Pranlal Bhogilal collection, kudos to them for saving them in the years when most would have been scrapped , but what now, most of them will never ply on the roads again, they might never even get restored to what they should be.

To me its okay in the western countries, with their huge supplies and thriving markets with thousands of cars, not here, what if in next 15-20 years, all major collectors turn into museum owners, as it is all the cherries have been picked and rarely is a great car in the market (except for an inner circle of a select few).

You raise some valid points Kartik, though I would say the pros outweigh the cons. Most large private collections don't exhibit their cars either. They only probably will come on sale once in a generation.

The total number of museums in India (I use the term loosely) can probably still be counted on one hand. They serve an important role of providing accessibility to the aam aadmi. Yes, many of the cars are static displays, though slowly and steadily the people in concern are making efforts to have the cars in ship shape. Take the case of the Bhogilal collection. Around 8-10 cars (many Rolls, Bentleys etc) were always running, and brought regularly to events. After a lull period they are back again, 5 cars being spruced up for a recent show in Bombay, and some others being regularly sent to various events in Gujarat. More are being readied continuously. A tremendous amount of funding is needed to restore all the cars, which isn't all that practical. Given the circumstances under which the vintage car enthusiast operates in India, I think it is creditable to achieve even this. There is always a lot more to do.

Tarun Thakral has done a truly outstanding job with the Heritage Transport Museum, the only proper effort that comes to mind to have a holistic approach. Yes, there are many cars there that we now cannot buy, but that is rather selfish isn't it And yes, like Amol says, many museums, once functioning professionally, will continuously rotate their stock.

Cars will always be in short supply for us, poaching them from museums is not the answer. The first step (or leap actually) in the right direction has started, with imports opening up, even if restrictive in nature.
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 15:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thank you both for your replies.
You are right in a way that many cars are still available and many might come back into the market, but knowing that Indians are by nature emotional and do not let go of things personal easily, it is very difficult to get a great car at reasonable prices like in the west.

Also I agree there is no doubt that the Heritage transport is a great initiative,

The import policy is a great development and I hope sooner or later there is some clarity on valuations of imports.

My issue is that though the museums can still be counted on hand, but they are enough to dry up an already dwindling supply.

Last edited by KartikeyaL : 8th September 2014 at 15:35. Reason: reframing!!
KartikeyaL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 17:11   #5
BHPian

Vintage and Classic Car Museums are a center for facts, data and details about past. There are only a few good vintage and classic car museums in India. Car maniacs would love these museums for the cars they showcase in their museums. The mission of the museum is to promote the life-long education of our community, by interpreting the heritage, history, and evolution of automobiles and motorcycles over twenty-five years old. Appropriate activities generate interest, fund raising, and a sense of fun and camaraderie among the members and visitors.

Also Vintage Car Museums should organise events like rallies so that they can be instrumental in inculcating people’s interest in these cars. One would find all old beauties like the American/European/old Japanese cars etc.. competing in these events and creating excitement. These rallies give the vintage car enthusiasts an opportunity to meet like-minded people. These events are organized with the motive of preserving the old heritage of the country and to educate the young generation about the evolution of the automobile industry. The spectators of vintage cars get a glimpse of very rare collectors' cars of yesteryear's and bring back the nostalgia for the vintage car connoisseurs. Example: statesman’s vintage and classic car rally is the most famous rally that has been taking place for over 40 years across the country.
embee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 19:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:

To me its a matter of concern with so many museums cropping up all over India , we might debate that its good for the movement because generations young and old could be inspired , cars would be saved and history preserved, makes sense.

Dont you think that keeping the cars in a museum is better than abandoning them? My fear is that in a few decades, there will not be many technicians/restorers who can maintain these. Therefore museum is the only way to go.
C.S.ANANTH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 20:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
Dont you think that keeping the cars in a museum is better than abandoning them? My fear is that in a few decades, there will not be many technicians/restorers who can maintain these. Therefore museum is the only way to go.
Ananth sir,
Yes it's a better option than to abandon them, and your point is very valid that what will happen after a few decades, but I think at least right now we can find technicians/ mechanics and also maybe in future when we won't be able to find restorers/mechanics, maybe then we might have enthusiast like in the UK and US who largely restore and maintain there own cars , hopefully our common passion will survive the next few years.
KartikeyaL is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks