Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2019, 00:38   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur

Note from Support: Thread moved to the Vintage Cars & Classics in India section. Thanks for sharing!
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 05:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
It was a proud moment for me personally to see the Rolls finally win the coveted Best of Show award, and I couldn't think of any more deserving car. And to celebrate, would you believe that Amir is driving the car all over Rajasthan and all the way back to Bombay? Fantastic!
Karl, your reports are always perfect and allow those poor souls of us who couldn't be there in person to live the event through your eyes. THANK YOU.

Congratulations to all of you, many of my fellow "resplendent" friends from Bombay and of course the veeeeery best restorer Kaizad who practised his trade on the gora's Ambassador!

Please get Amir to post more pictures of the trip. High drooling potential.

Miss you all,
Daniel

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd March 2019 at 09:17. Reason: Spacing
Philedonos is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:40   #18
BHPian

The 1939 Rolls-Royce Phantom III is chassis 3DL168, Hooper limousine, imported into India in 2016.
Steve Stuckey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:20   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Karl,
What a fantastic report in such a short span of time, just wonderful. Special thanks for the mention and some great pictures.

The event was truly a treat, we got to see some great cars in a wonderful setting and got to meet old friends and new.

Here are two pictures from the event, you can see the 4 BHPians from the vintage section, coincidentally all K's

Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-20190302_091336.jpg

Cheers
Kartik
KartikeyaL is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:03   #20
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for greatly detailed report Karl. As usual picking up some great details and very delightful the read.

Had a great time visiting Cartier to see the cars and catching up with friends The standards of restoration is outstanding. Kaizad done a great job with all his restorations. The Daimler EL24 has come out very very well. Kartik's Morris was looking great and well updated.

Only thing missing in Cartier this time was the buzz, like that of the two great restorations we saw in Hyderabad, the Gold Daimler and that of the Bristol. We missed the non-competition class which has in the past been represented by some very great cars like the Jodhpur Delahaye, Nizam's SG Throne Car, Nizam's Napier Twins, Nizam's Wolseley and the Hukumchand Gold Daimler. These great cars but for the Delahaye, were brought back to life by Cartier.

Anyways, few events can even come close to the Cartier show.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 13:52   #21
BHPian

As always, Karl< a big thank you for a lovely report and pictures.

Somethings stood out though. Cars earlier entered in the competition class earlier were not eligible to re enter to compete.Perhaps paucity of cars has made the organizers change their own rules.

Amir and his Rolls deserved top honours, Congratulations to man and machine for an outstanding performance.

The levels of restoration at each show are climbing higher and higher, Kudos to the restorers and Owners as without both devoting time and energy, this would not be the case.

Last edited by Bulldogji : 2nd March 2019 at 13:53.
Bulldogji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 16:42   #22
BHPian

At the outset, thanks to Karl for a fantastic report on this event. A testament to the writing skills as well as the attention to detail. I met Karl at the event and while he did have a camera to take these stunning photos, he did not have a notepad and pen and therefore to write so much from memory is remarkable.

I had the privilege to attend this event thanks in part to my friend Subbiah known to all on this forum as KPS. It is indeed special when one is able not only to attend such an event but accompany someone with a treasure trove of knowledge. Looking at the vehicles with this background makes one able to appreciate the vehicles a lot better as well as understand the efforts behind such exceptional levels of restoration.

One of the best parts of an event like this is that even though one gets the chance to see the vehicles for only a few short hours, the time spent with fellow enthusiasts flies by very quickly. I got the opportunity to meet some extremely knowledgeable and talented people including some restorers and collectors from Kolkata, who have an incredible eye for detail and passion for their cars and are free and forthcoming with their knowledge and experience.

Coming to the event itself, the layout of the vehicles was easy to go through although surprisingly the winning car from the last Cartier was not on display, nor was there any special non-competition entry like the Gold Daimler in the Hyderabad Cartier. The first set of vehicles that one got to see were the transport vehicles which were a rare sight and I for one haven’t seen any similar vehicles before so this was a real treat.

It was great that the pebble beach cars were allowed here as it allowed us an opportunity to see these cars first hand. The Mayurbhanj Alvis, the Studz of Mr Titus, Mr Tanna’s Fiat, and of course the Rolls of Mr Jetha are truly magnificent cars. Was especially happy to see the Lagonda which I understand that Christopher Rodricks had helped to restore. I know Chris personally and it is a matter of pride that he has been involved in the restoration of such a magnificent machine. The MG of Mr Singhania was also an incredible car which was on display. Must admit that I found some of the classifications confusing such as what constitutes a Post War Classic European car and what constitutes a Sports Car and why will an Alfa Romeo be in one class and not the other. I am no expert and there is presumably a basis for this which would have been nice to have been described by the organisers for lay persons like us to understand better. However the class distinction does not take away from the experience. The sheer size dimensions of some of the vehicles such as the two Daimlers cannot be understood from pictures.

My personal view is that the collection of motorcycles on display while no doubt impressive did not meet up to the quality or the number of motorcycles (and scooters) on display at the last Cartier event in Hyderabad which had a far greater line up and variety of two wheelers on display. Two points that struck me on the motorcycles on display. One was the colour of the 51 Sunbeam which was unusual and I hadn’t seen before. Secondly, the 1938 Triumph 3H had “1942” painted on its tank and I don’t know why. The picture of this bike is in Karl’s post. The winning bike which is Mr Kapoor's Indian was remarkably preserved and in my view a worthy winner.

All in all, a great experience and well worth the trip from Bengaluru to Jaipur, and if I am lucky enough to get an opportunity to attend the next one wherever that is, I will most certainly attend that too.

Last edited by vanam : 2nd March 2019 at 16:46.
vanam is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 20:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Great report and pics Karl, much appreciated.

Love the Thunderbird Class didn't know there were so many in India, Rashid Bhai owned one too wonder how it is now.

Is the Mercedes 290 Limo the Salar Jung Car ? Looks stunning.

Also was there a 57 Corvette at the show, someone mentioned it was but couldn't see any pics of it.
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 20:18   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Is the Mercedes 290 Limo the Salar Jung Car ? Looks stunning.
Nope that is a different car. Restored a few years back from total junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Also was there a 57 Corvette at the show, someone mentioned it was but couldn't see any pics of it.
It was entered but didn't show.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 09:05   #25
BHPian

Super Duper Pics Karl and thank you so much for the description of each car and bike, it really made me feel like I was there!! Thanks a ton for sharing
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 08:01   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

From Hello magazine

Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-img20190405wa0007.jpg
KartikeyaL is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 09:52   #27
BHPian

Superb pics, Karl!
Two points-

1) I remember seeing a similar Ulster at a Pune rally in the early 1990. It was red and probably belonged to Mr. Jasdanwalla.

2) have you noticed how the dowdy 'Fordor' translates into the fabulous sounding 'Quattroporte'? ��

Regards
Aditya
TractionAvant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 12:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Some sights and sounds

BHPian KartikeyaL probably advising mbz180 how to get original Italian air in his Fiat tyres.
I just stumbled on this thread and cracked up at your description

Great coverage, Karl.

I was totally fascinated at the OHC Morris engine of Kartikeya's; I had no idea that they made an OHC engine that early.
mbz180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:29   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
I just stumbled on this thread and cracked up at your description

Great coverage, Karl.

I was totally fascinated at the OHC Morris engine of Kartikeya's; I had no idea that they made an OHC engine that early.
same as the MG M Type engine, in the morris it was changed to a side valve in later cars. the ohc Minor is a lovely car.
awini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 18:41   #30
BHPian

2019 Cartier Concours d'Elegance - Winners drive-by

Hi everyone,
Firstly, apologies delayed post, but better late than never. I finally had some spare time owing to the lock-down to edit the videos of this event.

In 2019, the Indian city of Jaipur, hosted one of the finest Vintage & Classic Car Shows in the continent. It was graced by Royalty, Historic vehicle stalwarts and enthusiasts from around the world!

It was truly an exclusive affair! Cars that were displayed and entry were by invitation only.
I am please to showcase to you all, a glimpse into Cartier Concours d'Elegance 2019, Jaipur.

It was a treat to witness this even, which sadly was the last of it's kind (from the rumours we hear)

Thank you to my friends who made this experience unforgettable!

Enjoy!
sgchaudhuri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks