Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2007, 14:55   #1
BHPian

Vintage and Classic Cars in Thane..

Dear all,Sunday morning 25th Feb 07,Thane saw its own Vintage and Classic Car Rally.The first small event organised by the Heritage Vehicle Owners Club of Thane, (Founded by Mr Prakash Shelke and Tbhpians Vinay and Edward ).There were only three cars and two other members and their cars could not make it as they were out of town.We had a small drive around the heart of the city.We are yet to contact other Vintage and Classic car owners.Thane has a good collection of Vintage and Classic cars and we hope to have all these cars for the drive that we have planned next month..

Line up of cars.

Mr Prakash Shelke's 1929 Austin 12.(The car was driven staright from the garage where it was undergoing restoration so you may find some if the parts missing and the car was back at the garage for completion of the remaining work after the drive ).

Mr Prakash Shelke's 1941 Ford Prefect.

Neel Naik's 1955 Millicento

Tbhpian Vinay Gurav with his Bobby GTS175.

Some of Mr Shelke's other cars

Morris Minor (to be restored very soon ).

Cheers Ed..
Old 26th February 2007, 15:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats a decent '60 Chevy-Belair, in the last photo.
who does it belong to? and is it in working condition?
Old 26th February 2007, 16:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

That a 59 Impala in the red parked in the shed??
Old 26th February 2007, 17:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
That a 59 Impala in the red parked in the shed??
Boss, the Grill is from the '60? if Im not wrong, and looks like a belair/biscayne since its not pillarless, and no guards on bumper.

Last edited by scooby05 : 26th February 2007 at 17:10.
Old 26th February 2007, 17:36   #5
BHPian

Guys,its a Chevy Biscayne and its in running condition am not sure about the which year it maybe a 59 model,will confirm with Mr Shelke and let you know.There was an article in Mid-day about Mr Shelke's collection sometime back but i cant find it on their website,will scan that article and upload it in a day or two.
Old 26th February 2007, 18:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

No offence but I feel the cars deserve better treatment than what they are currently given. I liked all the cars but I would love to see them shining and new like the MBTex I saw in the picture of a white Merc Heckflosse and an Impala which looks better than what it must have looked when it arrived at the showroom a few decades back.
Old 26th February 2007, 20:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
No offence but I feel the cars deserve better treatment than what they are currently given. I liked all the cars but I would love to see them shining and new like the I saw in the picture of an Impala which looks better than what it must have looked when it arrived at the showroom a few decades back.
Take a Bow Scooby, Im sure hes refering to ur car...
If these cars are for sale id be interested.....(Embarrassingly)
Old 26th February 2007, 21:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
No offence but I feel the cars deserve better treatment than what they are currently given. I liked all the cars but I would love to see them shining and new like the MBTex I saw in the picture of a white Merc Heckflosse and an Impala which looks better than what it must have looked when it arrived at the showroom a few decades back.
Buddy,the cars look dirty because of construction work going on in his property, he is developing the place.The cars arent gona be kept like that round the year he has better plans.
V-16,these cars arent for sale,maybe if you had some for sale he would be interested....

Cheers Ed..
Old 28th February 2007, 21:04   #9
BHPian

Great photos egangsta!

Good to know that people in places other than Mumbai, Delhi and Kolkata are interested in Vintage Rallies. Nagpur, where I live, has an annual vintage car rally, and you get to see some very rare automobiles, painstakingly kept running by their 'not-so-informed-or-rich-but-still-enthusiastic' owners.
Old 28th February 2007, 22:31   #10
BHPian

[quote=newcoolgadgets;382403 painstakingly kept running by their 'not-so-informed-or-rich-but-still-enthusiastic' owners.[/quote]

Thats what we are doing,we are gona help the owners of these cars in whatever way we can to get the cars back to the orignal condition they were in.The drive that we had in our city was first of its kind and we are trying to get more people for the next drive.
Old 1st March 2007, 00:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Guys,its a Chevy Biscayne and its in running condition am not sure about the which year it maybe a 59 model,will confirm with Mr Shelke and let you know.There was an article in Mid-day about Mr Shelke's collection sometime back but i cant find it on their website,will scan that article and upload it in a day or two.
It def. looks like a 59 chevy to me....although I cant say exactly what model.....the grille/bumper w/out guards, the "eyebrows" over the headlights/grille all are 59 chevy features.....
We could compare w/ these pics. I once took of a 59 chevy (although this is a bel-air

Although anyone would be able to confirm on the spot if we could've had a pic. of the rear end as well, w/ its unmistakeable "cat-eye" tail-lamps!

Anyways, all in all, excellent pics. & coverage from you Ed!
Its heartening esp. for old vehicle buffs to know that what vehicles were considered junk when plenty are getting more recognition now, even though they are relatively fewer.
Old 15th February 2011, 06:53   #12
BHPian

Re: Vintage and Classic Cars in Thane..

To be of service to my friends in India, I offer this website; Antique and Classic Cars: Pictures and Information: 1902 - 1970s. It provides much needed visual information on American, as well as European-built autos. I would be happy to offer information on American autos. I am car-crazy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks