Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2021, 12:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government starts process to formalise registration of vintage cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateh Salim View Post
[

Clarity on the aforementioned points would be greatly appreciated.
Is this point (5) implying that I won't be able to drive my Jeep CJ 5 (1968) on public roads?
Yes, it looks like since fitness & pollution test for vintage vehicles is exempted, 'regular' use on public roads is prohibited.
You should be able to use it on private roads/farms though.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 11:27   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

The ball has started rolling from the national capital metropolis. Let us see how things work out. States and UT's could soon follow.

Government starts process to formalise registration of vintage cars-fb_img_1638930949302.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 14:37   #33
BHPian

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jatin...931563520-_mfK

- Sems to good to be true! Is this only a validation of registration or can these vehicles drive around freely in Delhi despite being older than 10/15 years old?
- What about those cars older than 10/15 and younger than 50?
- Is this car an Opel Vectra
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 15:34   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

The respective state govts /UT's needed to have followed up by amending their state vintage re-registration rules accordingly by issuing notifications to this effect. States like Delhi, Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Goa (there could be more to our members knowledge) have already issued notifications in conformity with the amended Central notification. For states like Delhi (NCR includes Haryana and U. P. too) there is no alternative other than registering the 50 plus year old vehicle as vintage to keep its registration alive.

Some pros and cons of registering our motor vehicles as vintages following the MoRTH notification of July 16, 2021 and the respective state /UT notifications:-

Registration as vintages:-

Advantages:-

-Advantage is that pollution tests are exempted.

-Also the proposed automated fitness tests are not applicable.

-The overall fitness test is not as stringent as the 15-49 yr old cars/two wheelers.

- The old registration number can be retained as per Rule 81(B)(3) and HSRP number plates are exempted for vintages vide Rule 81(B)(4). Both provisions are quoted verbatim below:-

Quote:
Rule 81(B) (3) and (4) as in the original gazette notification of the amended rules issued in July 2021.

(3) All those vehicles which are already registered as Vintage Motor Vehicle shall continue to retain the
original registration number and registration plate intact without any change.

(4) All such Vintage Motor Vehicles shall be exempted from the provisions of High Security Registration Plate as mandated under rule 50.
(hologram HSRP is also exempted)
Disadvantages:-

- State transport Deptts in some states are nebulous about reregistration and some RTO's in states like Maharashtra are insisting on the MH xx VAxxxx registration as of now by giving up the old registration, whereas the central notification clearly states in Rule 81 (B) (3) that in cases where vehicles have a regn number, these can be retained. The new number series MHxxVAxxxx is a boon for those who import pre 1950 cars legally or for ones whose documents are lost or misplaced, but not for other vehicles that are identified and famous through their registration numbers.

- One pays Rs 20,000 for cars as well as two wheelers for ten years as registration fees. This is advantageous for imported cars and bikes (registered as imports in RC book) that are 50 plus years old. Normal reregistration fees for imports are Rs 40,000 for cars and Rs 10,000 for bikes for five years. Hence Rs 20,000 is reasonable for such categories of motor vehicles.

- The Rs 20,000 re- registration fee for vintage cars and two wheelers doesn't fit into economics vis a vis the older re-registration methodology, where even after the hikes wef 01.04.22 we pay Rs 5000 for four and Rs 1000 for two wheelers.

-Once vintage re-registration rules are implemented by a state, one will be simply UNABLE to re-register in the normal way applicable to 15-49 yr olds. The VAHAN site will simply identify the vehicle as vintage and direct the owner/RTO to follow the appropriate methodology.

- And regular usage of the vintage motor vehicle is restricted as per the new rules wherein usage for events, repairs/maintenance are allowed. But there are no devices in use by the authorities as such that can check regular or restricted usage.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th May 2022 at 15:38.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 06:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

It is suggested that a new category of New Classics be created for the 30-49 year old motor vehicles, wherein all such vehicles manufactured prior to 1990 but after 1970 as on date can be included.
Hello Sir,

Is there any update on whether the government will be listening to this point of the representation or not? My Esteem and Tata Estate, both are approaching 30 very soon, so I was hoping to get them registered as ‘new classsics’.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 08:13   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Hello Sir,

Is there any update on whether the government will be listening to this point of the representation or not? My Esteem and Tata Estate, both are approaching 30 very soon, so I was hoping to get them registered as ‘new classics’.
Sad to say, the Heritage Motoring Club of India, Delhi, while discussing this issue with the bureaucrats from MoRTH, when the vintage preservation policy was being drafted, one senior IAS official with archaic ideas commented:-

"so you people would like Ambassadors under breakdown stranded while being driven, crowding our streets".

Illogical, immature and lack of understanding statement from someone whose possible link with cars in his entire lifetime were those govt Ambassadors sometimes used by callous drivers.

But the issue is very much alive with vintage clubs given the fact that the developed countries have accorded such recognitions to 30 plus year old automobiles and Mr Gautam Sen, the acclaimed auto journalist always bats for and encourages such a move by vintage clubs.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th May 2022 at 08:15.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 08:48   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
"so you people would like Ambassadors under breakdown stranded while being driven, crowding our streets"
This statement is on expected lines as many bureaucrats play to the gallery and don't want to think of ways to solve a genuine issue.

It would be a good idea to compare the number and complexity of failures on modern new vehicles and compare those with the complexity and number of failures on older cars. Older cars could be fixed on the spot and made to move while the modern ones would need a flatbed - that is two vehicles crowding the road instead of one. So, which ones are crowding the roads?

Quoting from my thread on the Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
My Dad would tell me that the car never let him down anywhere, never overheated, never failed to start, never threw tantrums – if that isn’t reliability, then what else is?
Need I say anything more? Our 1959 Standard Super 10 would overheat at times, the ignition coil would overheat at times, the battery wouldn't have juice to start the car at times, but all this would result in a max 20 minute delay and the vehicle would be off its own power.
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 08:59   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
one senior IAS official with archaic ideas commented:-
"so you people would like Ambassadors under breakdown stranded while being driven, crowding our streets".
Who else, but our sarkari babus.

So the forces to be are expecting people to store 15-49 year old cars (which they expect us to scrap), but then from the 50th year onwards all is well?
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 09:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I think they are missing the fundamental point that if someone takes the pains of retaining a 30+ year old car, they are likely maintaining it well and won’t use it for commuting.

I think the general notion still is that old car = breakdown prone khatara.

Anyone who owns an old car is probably mechanically inclined and someone who sees value in preventive maintenance, so the cars of such people are not likely to become the traffic blocking, smoke belching demons that they are being made out to be.

I also find it surprising that in a country where there are plenty of unruly 3 wheelers, stray animals, random processions, randomly broken down government busses, traffic policemen randomly stopping cars and bikes in the middle of the road, dug up drains and roads that always seem to be under construction, and a zillion other traffic disruptions, the only thing that worries us is the remote possibility of a lovingly kept Ambassador breaking down on the road.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 13:19   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

The gazette notification for preservation of vintage automobiles (no. G.S.R. 492 (E) dated 15/07/2021 is uploaded for future reference as I found it missing on this thread.

We have been discussing this threadbare but it always helps to have the notification uploaded in its original form:-

[ATTACH=GSR 492(E) dt 15 July 2021 Vintage Motor Vehicles Rules.pdf]2313704[/ATTACH]
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 07:28   #41

The debate over registration of vintage vehicles has been going back and forth for many years now. While all the recent press reports indicate that the Ministry has approved the registration of vehicles older than 50 years, there is a huge disconnect between the Ministry's statement and the local RTOs who seem to be a law unto themselves and unless you climb onto the corruption ladder and give them whatever they ask for (no matter how unreasonable it is) you cannot make any progress.

I have moved back to India after living overseas for over 40 years and my wife and I brought our much beloved classics with us as we are allowed to under the Transfer of Residence rules. While Indian Customs had no problem clearing the cars after a hefty duty, the RTO refuses and so does the Transport Commissioner.

I am appealing to all the experts on this forum to see if someone can explain to me how I can get cross this hurdle even after following all the rules and regulations. I have even sent an email to Nitin Gadkari, Minister of Road Transport. Not surprised there is no answer from the department.
Much appreciate any feedback on this frustrating issue.
John Cooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 16:46   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cooper View Post
I have moved back to India after living overseas for over 40 years and my wife and I brought our much beloved classics with us as we are allowed to under the Transfer of Residence rules. While Indian Customs had no problem clearing the cars after a hefty duty, the RTO refuses and so does the Transport Commissioner.

I am appealing to all the experts on this forum to see if someone can explain to me how I can get cross this hurdle even after following all the rules and regulations. I have even sent an email to Nitin Gadkari, Minister of Road Transport. Not surprised there is no answer from the department.
Much appreciate any feedback on this frustrating issue.
Please try to discuss the matter with senior officials of the Transport Commissioner's office of your state/UT. Please submit an application stating your issues to him and get a duplicate copy acknowledged by his office. If you receive assurance you can request the official to take up the issue with local RTO and allow a month or so for the results.

If there is no positive action still as the RTO is contravening set rules and laws please discuss the matter with a good lawyer with all documents including requests to Sh Gadkari and the Transport Commissioner's office. You can move the High Court by filing a writ petition.
Old 7th October 2023, 18:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
In addition to some issues that you gentlemen have already highlighted, it would be sad to see vintage / classic vehicles without the older numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I feel classic registration numbers such as "WBE 1" is a part of classic/vintage value of the car and should not be taken away from these cars.
Ideally they could have done the following:
- Let the owners keep the original 3 Letter 4 Numeral number followed by V. Eg. ABC 1234 should become ABC 1234V.
- For migration between states owners should be allowed to either retain the original state registration followed by V or a 3 Letter 4 Numeral number from the new state followed by V.
- Other than the V to denote vintage the plate colour should be different (Black Plates and White Numbers).
- The words "VINTAGE VEHICLE" in small font above the number.
- Instead of HSRP, a retro looking plate issued by RTO with seals on the rivets.
Attached Thumbnails
Government starts process to formalise registration of vintage cars-istockphoto184096116612x612.jpg  

Government starts process to formalise registration of vintage cars-classiccarplate750x450.jpg  

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 7th October 2023 at 18:44.
Old 18th March 2024, 17:32   #44
BHPian

Not sure if shared already in forum but the vintage car registration initiative (VA series) is surprisingly already on floor.. pun intended

This Padmini is probably the first example in the country to benefit from this scheme as Odisha becomes the first state to offer this.

Registered as 'OD VA AA 0001' in February this year:

Government starts process to formalise registration of vintage cars-d.jpg

Reference: https://odishatv.in/news/odisha/vint...-plate--196388
Senna4Ever is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks