Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2008, 14:31   #1
BHPian

Vintage Car Rally in Kolkata Pics & Reports - 2008

Hi guys,

Today the TBHP Kolkata gang went to the Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally.
Spotted some nicely maintained cars & bikes.

Enjoy the pics.

The original Gangsta'

Some Jeeps.

And Bikes

Last edited by toiingg : 20th January 2008 at 14:38.
Old 20th January 2008, 14:35   #2
BHPian

Some more Pics

Some Rolls

Jaguar

Ford GT

Old 20th January 2008, 14:37   #3
BHPian

MG Roadster

Wooden Rims Anyone ?

Old 20th January 2008, 15:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for some really nice pictures toiing
Old 20th January 2008, 16:56   #5
BHPian

I wish i could have been there. Thanks for the pics.
Old 20th January 2008, 17:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thats some unforgettable pics dude...Thanks for sharing

Abhi
Old 20th January 2008, 19:25   #7
BHPian

Modded bullet

Saw this Bullet in the parking lot. Modified like a Harley.

Neat job, whaddya boys think ?
toiingg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2008, 19:31   #8
BHPian

Group Pics

Some Group Pics.

L-R

David (my friend), etc + planet, Blackpearl, Shuvd, Joseph, myself, Karan, Nikunj + wife.

L-R

David, Neil (our surprise guest for the day), Blackpearl, shuvd, myself.
Old 20th January 2008, 20:08   #9
BHPian

Surprise guest

We moved on to the parking lot after the cars were flagged off, thinking about the next move. Planet + etc, Nikunj + wifey, & Karan left for home. Boy will they be kicking their backsides when they read on. LOL!

While we were deciding what to do next, we see a Land Rover driving into the parking lot (actually it was an Army training field which was converted into a parking lot). The LR comes next to us and stops, in the driving seat, we see a gentleman smiling at us. Neil!!

The man who tamed the beast.

That was a pleasant surprise. We all gather around the LR and Neil is flooded with thousands of questions about his baby. The engine, as informed by Neil, was recently swapped with the original LR petrol from the diesel which was as quiet as can be. I bet some of the new gen petrol engines would not be able to match it. And to think about it, this was a 4X4 that was built in the 60's. Absolutely purring like a kitten.

Blackpearl grinning ear to ear and rubbing his hands in glee asks for a TD which Neil gladly agrees to. We all jump in quickly. .... umm almost all of us. Shuvd takes his time, but soon manages to get in too.

BP on the wheel, Neil riding shotgun guiding him. After one chakkar of the field, shuvd takes over the wheel.

Another chakkar, and then we all ask Neil to take us for a 'Real' TD to see what this baby can really do.

Neil, on the wheel. (Hey, that rhymed .. lol)

A spin later, we are all pretty impressed. Then Neil turns towards the parking lot. There is a huge mound in the way. Believe you me. When i say huge, I mean HUGE !! Like one moment there is flat ground, and the next, there is a 2 feet(yes you read it right, 2 feet) high mound.

We all think that he is gonna back out and turn and I curiously ask him if the LR has power steering.

Neil just stops, for like a micro second, blips the throttle and the next thing we know is that we are on the mound. We are all like Holy Crap!! Did this just happen ?? With 7 people on board ?? Then we carry on the mound for some time and then we reach the end. We are all thinking ... we're gonna get beached. There is no way this thing is NOT gonna get stuck in here. And damn, it will be tough to push this out from here.

Another second and we're off. It was like we were going over a speed beaker. If i may quote shuvd, "one moment i saw the sky, then the ground, then the sky... **** man, it was awesome". I second him, and so will each and every person who was in
the LR at that moment. Apart from Neil, he was just smiling as if it was nothing.

And you know the best part ?? He did not even engage 4X4 for that!!

Just for you'll to get an idea how high it was. (see the backside of the Sumo)

And then, we all gheraoed Neil, flooding him with questions. How, what, where etc. which he answered with a smile.

Blackpearl was so smitten, he has made up his mind to get a 4X4 for himself.

Whats this ? And this ?? and this ? And what does this lever do ? and this ??

We asked Neil to do that once more so that we could shoot it, to which he kindly obliged. I have a video but im unable to upload it. Will do so sometime in the future.

After sometime, we said our good bye's and left. With a promise to meet somewhere in Rajarhat (prolly next Sunday) so we could get a 'dekho' of what this beast can 'really' do. Guys please take pics and videos, im gonna be out with family.

Oh on my way back, we were trundling along in our little alto (shuvd and blackpearl shooting past us leaving us with an earful of motoring nirvana.. guys the sound from your cars is orgasmic), when we saw a strange contraption. The name at the back was Tata magic. And it looked like as if they have converted the mini truck 'ace' into a people carrier.

Take a look.

That about sums it all up for the day. Oh what a day it was!

Neil, 'Thank You'. Even though you didn't participate in the rally. Our best car award goes to you.

Over and out.

Last edited by toiingg : 20th January 2008 at 20:12.
Old 20th January 2008, 20:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Oey Toiingg, where is the video?
@ Neil - Amazing vehicle you got there. If wishes were horses..

Last edited by shuvd : 20th January 2008 at 20:15.
Old 20th January 2008, 20:14   #11
BHPian

Net connection is very slow. Will convert and upload it soon.

Thand rakho bhai.
Old 20th January 2008, 20:24   #12
BHPian

Here's the video.

Don't bother about the hindi song playing in the background. Shreya Ghoshal was crooning away to keep the crowd entertained while the cars got back from the rally route.

PS : how do i get the Image of the video onto the thread ? All i get is the linky. I want the clickable image to appear on the thread.
Old 20th January 2008, 21:21   #13
BHPian

Great pics toiingg... am kicking myself for missing this now :(

Neil, u must get this beast to the next meet... 'twas really nice to see it freshly painted in black.
Old 20th January 2008, 22:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

They launched the people carrier version of the ACE called Magic a few months back, its slowly tricling in our part of the slow world.

Anyway that is nothing as compared to what that LR can do, even if its the long wheelbase one.

Everytime one visits Darjeeling, one gets tempted to think, let me bring one of those back.

My Mother used to call them "Baba-Ma-aar Bachcha" gear (Gear lever-4x4 lever-transfer-case) seeing them on jeeps.
Old 20th January 2008, 23:09   #15
BHPian

ah s#it how could I miss that...infact I called up Planet in the morning but fell asleep once again...

But amazing pics there...you guys must have enjoyed a lot..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks