Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2008, 17:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Naha it's okay now I've got it figured. You haven't mentioned if you ovehauled your magneto? is the chor bazaar shop Nasikwalla?
And are you back in Bombay to restore your bike to completion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
(@ the spark plug, if this Q is still valid )
R
Old 10th November 2008, 19:47   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
...You haven't mentioned if you ovehauled your magneto?
Deutscheafrikar,

The bike didnt have a dynamo, when i posted dynamo earlier i meant >

Quote:
...When i opened my magneto it was stuck with rust. I had to hammer the armature to get it out of the casing. About half a cup full of rust poured out!! "Damnit, im gonna have to source a magneto, what a pain." i thought. I guess my lazyness got the better of me and i sprayed the whole thing with WD40 several times and cleaned it up.
Gave it a shot and WOW!!! Beautiful blue/white spark on the first kick!!!! ...
In other words - i took it apart, cleaned it thoroughly (especially the contact points etc) and put it back in when the engine had been re-assembled and it worked great. No re-winding or anything like that.

Quote:
...is the chor bazaar shop Nasikwalla?
Bingo! Thats the one.

Quote:
...And are you back in Bombay to restore your bike to completion.
Yes i am, but unfortunately i have a lot of other stuff on my plate -- and the bike has gone back to where it came from indefinitely (long story).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th November 2008 at 19:49.
Old 10th November 2008, 21:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Deutscheafrikar,
The bike didnt have a dynamo, when i posted dynamo earlier i meant >cya
R
Yup Rehaan I umnderstood what you meant. I wanted to know if you had rewound your magneto coil, of course you haven't. I'm familiar with your long story, very similar to mine and I have three long stories like your bike in my garage.

@ Pune_Bike if you should need to get any of your magnetos fixed, there is a Gentleman in Lower Parel Mumbai. DKG in the thread India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report mentions on page 3 the owner of the Healy as someone who has worked on magnetos extensively and has overhauled as lot of magnetos. He can give you rewound Lucas coils over the counter.

And I believe Nasikwalla still has British bike parts in his shop.
Old 10th November 2008, 22:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Yup Rehaan I umnderstood what you meant. I wanted to know if you had rewound your magneto coil, of course you haven't. I'm familiar with your long story, very similar to mine and I have three long stories like your bike in my garage.

@ Pune_Bike if you should need to get any of your magnetos fixed, there is a Gentleman in Lower Parel Mumbai. DKG in the thread India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report mentions on page 3 the owner of the Healy as someone who has worked on magnetos extensively and has overhauled as lot of magnetos. He can give you rewound Lucas coils over the counter.

And I believe Nasikwalla still has British bike parts in his shop.
Yes !! Asher Bhai is really good with magnettos. Shabir Nasikwalla will still be able to give you most of the parts. Even otherwise, sourcing parts for singles should not be difficult.
Old 11th November 2008, 09:02   #20
BHPian

Thanks for the info guys finally the mechanic has given up on the Magneto bike, so am getting it back to Pune and will get the Magneto looked at. Do you happen to know the exact address or phone number (can you pm me if appropriate) for Nasikwalla. Also the number for Asher Bhai would be good to have. Guys I am currently not in Pune and so it takes a while to get the information back and forth on the progress.
Old 11th November 2008, 22:13   #21
BHPian

Pune_bike: Sorry dont know how to address you. Hope you come back to pune and do the restoration yourself. For me, that is the best part of owning these bikes and when the bike roars for the first time, it is quite ecstatic. If you are out of India, try and sourse out some of the parts, so you could carry it down when you come, especially the decals and badges and other small things like switches and levers. Although they are repros, the quality is much better than what you get over here. All the best.
Old 18th November 2008, 00:09   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Pune_bike: If you need help with repainting the original decals on your bike I could suggest a guy in Hyderabad IF you cant find an equally good known source in Pune/Bombay.

He's quite experienced with hand-painted decals/emblems on older bikes, his work seems quite good. Here is a work of his on one of Rashid Mody's BSAs.
Attached Thumbnails
Need some Advice on Restoring Classic Motorcycles (BSA, AJS etc)-img_1806.jpg  

Old 24th November 2008, 07:01   #23
BHPian

Thanks guys, i will be in Pune in the first week of december and hope to get the Plunger started up. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 29th March 2009, 15:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Pune_bike: If you need help with repainting the original decals on your bike I could suggest a guy in Hyderabad IF you cant find an equally good known source in Pune/Bombay.

He's quite experienced with hand-painted decals/emblems on older bikes, his work seems quite good. Here is a work of his on one of Rashid Mody's BSAs.
Hand painting of decals can be appreciated , but All most all Transfers & decals are available for most of the British marques are available on - line from reliable clubs like vmcc.net for reasonable prices
Old 10th March 2012, 09:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need some Advice on Restoring Classic Motorcycles (BSA, AJS etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pune_Bike View Post
Thanks guys, i will be in Pune in the first week of december and hope to get the Plunger started up. Thanks for all the advice.
Don't know but maybe this will help you
AMAL carb uses
Old 28th December 2012, 20:47   #26

I need to get my magnetos repaired for my Triumph and Ariel bikes.
Can anyone help me with contacts or addresses in India where I can get the MO1L, the K2C and the BTH twin magnetos settled/repairedot a Triumph Twin, .
Have got a Triumph Twin and a 3HW.One Ariel WNG bike.
Thanks

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/Please.gif
Old 29th December 2012, 13:28   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by essel View Post
I need to get my magnetos repaired for my Triumph and Ariel bikes.
Can anyone help me with contacts or addresses in India where I can get the MO1L, the K2C and the BTH twin magnetos settled/repairedot a Triumph Twin, .
Have got a Triumph Twin and a 3HW.One Ariel WNG bike.
Thanks

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/Please.gif
Visit this thread, you should find it of use.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...info-here.html (Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...)
Old 6th July 2016, 16:34   #28

Need Advice on Restoring Vintage Suvega in Bangalore

I am going through the old threads but unable to come across any post that can lead me to a mechanic who can work/restore my Suvega. Can someone please help and advise.

PS: For those who forgot, Suvega is a 50cc moped which a pedal start mechanism.
Old 16th December 2018, 18:03   #29

Quote:
Not that i know of. (Though it seems you came across something...)
I could scan a copy (this could take a while since im lazy/busy) or you could borrow it to xerox if you are ever in bombay and still need it.

Yes i did/do(?) have a 1947 AJS 500cc (rigid frame).
It spent about 10 (or was is 20?) years parked outdoors with no cover before it was bestowed upon me. It was pretty much a fossil. The muffler turned into dust at the lightest touch, cockroaches crawled out or the combustion chamber when we took the head off, the piston was stuck in place in the sleeve -- took about 4-5days to get free, etc.

Okay, but remember - its a fossil!! Not sure how much help it'll be!
This is the condition it was in the day i picked it up.

Attachment 67205

Attachment 67200

Attachment 67201

Attachment 67202

Attachment 67203

Attachment 67204

As i mentioned, the shop in chor bazaar somewhere.
I managed to pick up a new headlamp as well as some tank-pads from him "over-the-counter" (ie he had them with him the first time i showed up).

I'm not sure if the bike i had even had a speedo as original equipment!

Me too! Thats my favourite pic. (Pic 3 is also the same bike btw).

When i opened my dynamo it was stuck with rust. I had to hammer the armature to get it out of the casing. About half a cup full of rust poured out!! "Damnit, im gonna have to source a dynamo, what a pain." i thought. I guess my lazyness got the better of me and i sprayed the whole thing with WD40 several times and cleaned it up.
Gave it a shot and WOW!!! Beautiful blue/white spark on the first kick!!!!

cya
R
Sir you have picked up a real beauty AJS 500 rigid are very rare bikes available how much did you get this bike for any advice how much is an unrestored one going for these days

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks