Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maserati Merak not accurately restored!

Our very own king of good times who has some of the most exotic and accurate cars seems to be slipping these days! check out the Matiz mirrors on that car. This and other beauties are parked in a fancy showrrom like storage area next to kamla mill compound sad to see this when he has more modern cars with similar/better mirrors (exotic cars that gave the matiz designers inspiration) I knew we are in a recession but this is truley disgusting :(

guys please don't try to justify this and come up with some alternatives like this is not matiz/some new mirrors that were made for Merak or better yet "I like it" to be different because you don't put black plastic mirrors on a car which shouts out loud Retro Chrome thx
Attached Thumbnails
Maserati Merak not accurately restored!-image006.jpg  

Maserati Merak not accurately restored!-image007.jpg  

Last edited by canonball : 3rd February 2009 at 14:45.
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:07   #2

And What is the point of this thread? Mallya Bashing?? Instead of admiring the Merak, why should one look at the negative points?

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 3rd February 2009 at 18:09.
Old 3rd February 2009, 21:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Our very own king of good times who has some of the most exotic and accurate cars seems to be slipping these days! check out the Matiz mirrors on that car.
Truly very shocking, absolutely inexcusable. Possibly the handiwork of someone new or inexperienced considering the consistent high quality jobs turned out over the past so many years. I wonder if the king is reading this?
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yuckk. Yuckkk. At least he should've chromed them. (he he !)
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:48   #5

Where near kamala mills is this place. I go past kamala mills everyday and havent seen these cars.
Old 4th February 2009, 02:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
And What is the point of this thread? Mallya Bashing?? Instead of admiring the Merak, why should one look at the negative points?
What's the point of restoring these classic for a collection if you're not going to use original parts. Only people who use cars just for functionality or genuinely can't afford spares won't hesitate on using makeshift ones.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

jayabusa has got my point cyrus you are asking what is the point of the thread and then wanting to know the location! Anyway i new someone would have a smart comment/questions had to be you of all the people I think one of the most classy retro classic car much talked about on and off this post has come to this state. I find it disturbing.

If you come from TV tower side it is the building right before kamla mill entrance on the right. You cannot see it from the street (highwalls) right half of the building groundfloor (pillars)is covered in beige itallian marble which is visible form the street that is where the cars are.

Boss this is not what I expect from a car collector of his kind so cyrus lay of man and go see the cars instead!

Super select even our good old twisty richshaw chrome mirrors would have been accaptable but this is sure needy and desperate stuff google any merak image you will never find this kind of fabrication I can understadn the MOMO option (replicas available in India galore) or serbing/sebering or any genuine racing stuff but matiz is cruel

Last edited by canonball : 4th February 2009 at 11:35.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:43   #8
BHPian

Do pardon my ignorance, but, I do not see any of the Meraks on the following page with chromed mirrors. Maybe just one or two of them have it. Could they have been model specific?

Maserati Merak - Google Image Search
Old 4th February 2009, 12:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Haha rightly said cannonball. I would not expect this from the king of good times, but yet i would appriciate the efforts and the labour put into it. I have seen this car from when it was at Auto Hanger and it was ruined beyond compare. The parts were stolen and a new set called for, this too was vandalised and then the car was shifted elsewhere. Here after nearly four or more years is now complete. I am sure these side mirrors or any other part that is not original would be called for and replaced in a short while. To display a car you need no missing parts hence the make shift mirrors.
Old 4th February 2009, 13:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Speedy The car is very well done up paintwork is great not a shade I would choose. There are other mirrors oreven a chromed plate covering the whole would look neat.

Suren Sir please take look sir http://www.autocult.com.au/img/galle...geddon2831.jpg see the older cars when it was introduced they have chrome or semi chrome mirrors and the mallya car is an earlier model not the later ones with plastic and blakened chrome.

Sir again sir just for you http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/li...tini-merak.jpg

And agian: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2226/...05f170.jpg?v=0

Sir if you care to read my last post it states some period racing alternatives or even plastic momos like on the Ferrari 308's etc would do but matiz oh come of it sir

Last edited by canonball : 4th February 2009 at 13:12.
Old 4th February 2009, 13:20   #11
BaldOwl

Forget the mirrors next time click pictures of the whole car.

Old 4th February 2009, 14:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

i think what he meant was , that these were probably a set of temp mirrors for use while the proper stuff arrived
Old 4th February 2009, 14:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

I suppose only time will tell, greenhorn I am sure you know the momo mirrors available in any accessory shop a lot of mumbai taxi's used to have them I had them on my premier, opera hosue was full of them I am sure one can get those anywhere even now (the UNO had similar ones but with internal adjusters) those would have been perfect in black and not the part chrome ones which came out later.

By the way both sides have this matiz mirror on this car and older pics of this car show it to have only one side mirror so I think this seems more like a permanent thing.
Old 4th February 2009, 15:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Our very own king of good times who has some of the most exotic and accurate cars seems to be slipping these days! check out the Matiz mirrors on that car. This and other beauties are parked in a fancy showrrom like storage area next to kamla mill compound sad to see this when he has more modern cars with similar/better mirrors (exotic cars that gave the matiz designers inspiration) I knew we are in a recession but this is truley disgusting
This Maserati is one of two classic Masers that I know of in India. Later on current and not so current cars did come in, but this and his other one are the classics.This particular car belonged to Gondal, I saw her in dark maroon being raced at Juhu in the 1st half of 1980's. After the race she was often seen outside Shree Vijaya Bhavan on Altamount Road. The racing did look a bit funny, this Maser with a Fiat 125, some Jaguar engined formula special, totally mismatched cars. Then she was sold to this collection and last year repainted Kingfisher red. Now for the mirror, it does not yet seem to be a clear cut case of a cheap part. Perhaps the mirror got misplaced while being painted, or it is indeed original, or a temporary fitting. Its not important.This collection has another Maser, interesting story as that came from a customs auction. There was some story about this, it seems that one head was missing, and these was fierce competition while bidding.This place as I understand is the workshop relocated from Pasta lane Colaba and in an industrial estate where earlier a liquer company had their godown. There are many more cars there.AND, cool it, every one is entitled to an opinion, do add your masala but do not get personal.Cheers
Old 4th February 2009, 18:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

The had seen the car when it was lying at the customs. Was a kid back then but knew that this is a car worth something. The only place i had ever seen a Maser was in the Yearly guide to cars which still comes out, which i still buy.

The head was missing, and the car sported ambassador rims. Still "the other person" bid in full "khunnass" and got the car which frustrated the original owner who had thought that by carrying on the said improvisations, he would get the car at a steal from the customs auction. Who else would bid for the car. How wrong he was.

I remember seeing the car in a Kingfisher Red also in a few rallys in the very recent past but the posted pics look more like a metallic rust...or is it the lighting??

Last edited by V-16 : 4th February 2009 at 18:49. Reason: adding content
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks