Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Smitten Italian to drive Amby home

AHMEDABAD: From politicians to babus to cabbies, her buxom curves have charmed them all. Now, an event manager from , the land of Fiat and Ferrari, has fallen head over heels for this ageing dream on wheels, which has been in production since 1957 and takes after the Morris Oxford model.

Gian Rampoldi, 42, found the chubby looks of the former queen of Indian roads — the ubiquitous Ambassador or Amby — quite irresistible. He decided to own one, even though there aren’t many takers now for this relic in . And like the Indian political class, he has chosen a white one.

After coming to India in July last year, he set his sights on acquiring the Classic model of Ambassador. After an eight-month wait, he got all legal clearances to take it back home on Friday. Rampoldi will now drive through Iran, Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary and Austria before showing it off on the streets of Milan.

“During my first visit to India six years ago, I enjoyed travelling around in an Ambassador. After going back when I looked at the pictures, its beauty and bulge haunted me and I became nostalgic,” he told TOI.

Rampoldi sought advice from an Ahmedabad-based consultant over internet on how to go about acquiring the car. Rampoldi registered a company here which bought the car from Kolkata with a Gujarat registration number. He bought the car for Rs 4.5 lakh and gave a bank guarantee of Rs 10 lakh, necessary to get passage through different countries.

On Friday, he got final clearances from Mumbai and is ready to around India for a month before he drives out of the country. “It will take me three months to reach Italy by road,” said Rampoldi, who can’t wait to flaunt his latest acquisition on the fashion-conscious Milan streets.

“People are mad after cars in Italy and this Indian beauty will definitely turn a few heads there,” he says.

Last edited by vijaythacker : 22nd March 2009 at 10:03.
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:28   #2
BANNED

Wow this is a great new for indians.

Our own amby being drive to italy.Frankly i dont know how many people will take such pains for a love on a car. Well every one loves car here but this is something which requires lot of determination.

Hail the amby!! and Gian Rampoldi
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

Very interesting news for sure. But from where did you get this information? Please post a link to this news.
Old 22nd March 2009, 17:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Vijay excellent peice of news- The Amby nowadays crosses many oceans!
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

An Amby conquers the land of Fiats.. ! Now that's an achievement by any measure. Vijay do keep an eye on this signor, and post pictures if / when you can.
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good luck to Mr. Rampoldi. I hope that the car will go smoothly without breakdowns. Technology in them is so ancient, they tend to be unreliable sometimes. My old Amby, a daily driver should be extinguished, but for my madness is still on the road.
A couple of years ago a lady drove a Fiat from Bangalore to UK. It was a black car, a Dukkar having a BML registration but bought in Bangalore. She was present during a rally in Mumbai and there were pictures in the Thoroughbred and Classic Car magazine.
In the Auto India there is write up about two french guys who shipped two Enfields to Dubai and then drove home. One Enfield gave a lot of trouble.
Cheers
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Good luck to Mr. Rampoldi. I hope that the car will go smoothly without breakdowns. Technology in them is so ancient, they tend to be unreliable sometimes. My old Amby, a daily driver should be extinguished, but for my madness is still on the road.
Well I suppose he bought one brand new, with Isuzu drivetrain. I suppose should be fairly reliable, yet still old enough technology to make it easy to repair. If he bought an old one, he got screwed if he paid 4.5 lakhs for it!

Do you have any pictures of the Fiat that went to UK? Or the article you mentioned? I have pictures of a dukkar in the UK with UK regn, but obviously ex India going by the condition and local fittings.

I was also told the consul genral of Belgium (?) took one home with him. Not too many years ago, maybe the late 90s.
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wish Mr. Rampoldi a very safe drive to Italy.

Slightly OT but related:

An amby from Kolkata to London :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...mbassador.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks