Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 20:20   #1

Import / customs duty tariffs

I need to import some rubber mouldings and similar parts for the restoration of my car. Would anyone tell me what the import duty is likely to be? Thank you
Old 6th April 2009, 20:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurundwad View Post
I need to import some rubber mouldings and similar parts for the restoration of my car. Would anyone tell me what the import duty is likely to be? Thank you
If your lucky and they let go of the parcel nothing, or else roughly 30% on landed cost that is cost of parts + shipping
Old 6th April 2009, 21:22   #3
BHPian

If possible, try to get the item shipped via EMS. As far as I have noticed, things shipped via DHL, FedEx and the like attract duty even for lower priced items, whereas even costlier items have come through without duty when shipped via EMS.

Of course, there is no such rule, I am just posting my experience.
Old 7th April 2009, 06:54   #4
sat
BHPian

Quote:
whereas even costlier items have come through without duty when shipped via EMS.
Do you mean EMS speed post. No such luck with me, ordered some items from the US through united states postal service, the parcel/package is delivered to you by EMS speed post.

I received a letter from postal customs, to appear within a no of days of receiving the letter. One then had to pay the custom duty (shipping cost is added to the value of the goods)

Welcome to the Indiapost Web Site

Welcome to the Indiapost Web Site

Last edited by sat : 7th April 2009 at 06:57. Reason: added the url for speed post
Old 14th April 2009, 14:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
Do you mean EMS speed post. No such luck with me, ordered some items from the US through united states postal service, the parcel/package is delivered to you by EMS speed post.

I received a letter from postal customs, to appear within a no of days of receiving the letter. One then had to pay the custom duty (shipping cost is added to the value of the goods)
Too bad, guess I was just plain lucky then. Yet another thing you can try is to to get it shipped to your residential address as opposed to your office address.

P.S.: Yes, I meant EMS speed post.
Old 17th April 2024, 22:01   #6
BHPian

Re: Import / customs duty tariffs

Dear BHPians, need help with customs duty.

My daughter is pursuing an online course from a US university, and she has got a package by DHL. They asked for details of the contents for customs duty assessment. We have no clue about who has sent the package (apart from the fact that it is indeed sent from the university address), and what does it contain. Since the description said school supplies, we assumed it was some merchandise from one of her clubs, and provided the description as magnet and personalized mug. (We had received a similar package couple of months ago).

Now DHL is asking for INR 11k+ as customs duty, to be paid in a week’s time.

My question is – how do I even know what the package contents are, and if the customs duty is justified? Is there any way to contest it? Further, I don’t even know if the contents are worth it. What happens if I refuse to pay the duty?

Last edited by sschivate : 17th April 2024 at 22:02. Reason: Removed HTML tags
sschivate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 23:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Dear BHPians, need help with customs duty.

My daughter is pursuing an online course from a US university, and she has got a package by DHL. They asked for details of the contents for customs duty assessment. Since the description said school supplies, we assumed it was some merchandise from one of her clubs, and provided the description as magnet and personalized mug.

Now DHL is asking for INR 11k+ as customs duty, to be paid in a week’s time.

My question is – how do I even know what the package contents are, and if the customs duty is justified? Is there any way to contest it? Further, I don’t even know if the contents are worth it. What happens if I refuse to pay the duty?
Ideally, your supplier(University) knows the goods category and should use corresponding HSN code in the bill to the shipper(DHL). In this case, it appears that University somehow missed or DHL messed picking this information while bill was being generated.

HSN code is essential for customs to attribute correct tax slab. Seems DHL has used their modus operandi of applying HSN of highest category (they don't care about accuracy) to move the inventory and invite minimal scrutiny from Customs. This is a known process within DHL where you get goods faster but forced to pay more as they don't care about correct slabs. Indirectly, they make you a Bakra.

On the question of you declining the package, feel free to do so. The university should have been transparent about package content with you. Such surprises don't work for international packages, that too for students on tight budget. The package goes back to shipper and they might have to bear additional costs of transporting back to them.
DroopyGarfield is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 01:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroopyGarfield View Post
The package goes back to shipper and they might have to bear additional costs of transporting back to them.
In worst case scenario, they also reserve the right to auction the good if it's laid unclaimed / unpaid for period of 90 days.
SilverSmoke is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks