Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 14:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Pioneering effort indeed! I would call this an adaption. The guys who made passenger Wwagons out of Mahindra Jeeps were more pioneering and built something that was used by millions, rather than this adaption.
My feelings exactly, after seeing the picture. Its quite disappointing for something that finds mention in several places as the first attempt at a locally produced car. It is a copy of an adaptation. SAD.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Looks like an Amby with its mouth pushed in. Wonder what engine it carried !
Old 16th April 2009, 16:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
There are no aeronautical influences in the car as one could expect from an aviation company like Voisin, Farman.
I agree with you. We have to compare this to the first car produced by SAAB. Quoting wikipedia:

"In 1944, Project 92 began, with the goal of creating the first Saab passenger car. Five years later, the Saab 92 began production. The design highlighted the company’s roots in aviation. Notably, the car’s drag coefficient of 0.30 was the lowest of any production car at the time."

Pics:
HAL Car-1950saab92.jpg

HAL Car-saab_92_1949.jpg

We all know where SAAB cars went from there.

Quote:
Why was it not developed further and put in production?

Regarding the Probably one of the reasons why the HAL car was not given the time or energy it needed might be because of this: From wiki:

"The Hindustan Aeronautics HF-24 Marut (Sanskrit: "Spirit of the Tempest") was an Indian fighter-bomber aircraft of the 1960s. It was India's first jet aircraft, first flying on 17 June 1961."

HAL Car-800pxhalhf24marut.jpg

Probably HAL and our government were too busy trying to get this into production and had little patience to pursue something mundane as a car. Also, remember, the car's prototype was unveiled in 1964, according to the picture. Now in 1965, we went to war with Pakistan. In all probabilities, this car project might have been put in the backburner and forgotten over time.

I am not contradicting you theory, just putting mine across.
Old 16th April 2009, 17:21   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I was talking only with regards to the Bonnet. As no other indian car of the time had that ridge in the centre.
As karl said, your phiats (ie. delight onwards) had it all the time.

Plus the Herald bonnet ridge was much flatter and broader, and stopping much before the edge of the bonnet:

HAL Car-hbonnet.jpg
Old 16th April 2009, 17:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

I never knew HAL made a car..this is problablty ike how Vesap attempted to make a car and succeded only in making one model and never after that.
Old 16th April 2009, 19:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Just a thought. You could compare the HAL car to the Amby just like the Rhino to the Qualis..

This is as crude as the original Maruti before Suzuki came in.

Good Night Mumbai std time
Old 16th April 2009, 20:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

This car is another testimony to the absolute lack of design aesthetics and sensibilities among the stodgy Indian middle class.Now i understand why the D'Zire and the redesigned Zen are so popular!!
Old 16th April 2009, 20:30   #23
BHPian

Found this info in a website. I know there will be a thousand stones and at least one sword hurled at me even for suggesting this, let alone posting this. But just could not resist the "conspiracy theory" angle.

"More than seventy years ago, Rolls Royce Motors introduced its first Aero-engine to India. In the year 1956, the company made a tie-up with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) in Bangalore, as an authorized license partnership."
Rolls Royce Cars,Rolls Royce Car Models

Wonder if help was extended for things other than Aero engine. I wish I could strip the car of it's shell and find what is underneath it.

@harit and nickatnite,

Have a heart guys. You are comparing 90s/00s cars to an one off car prototype designed arguably for the first time in our country way back in 1960s, half a century ago. We are judging a car, by a single photograph, without any info on what is underneath the shell or how the interiors looked or what the features were.

For all we know, it would have been powered by an 180 bhp 5L V8 hemi.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th April 2009 at 12:23. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 17th April 2009, 08:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
@harit and nickatnite,

Have a heart guys. You are comparing 90s/00s cars to an one off car prototype designed arguably for the first time in our country way back in 1960s, half a century ago. We are judging a car, by a single photograph, without any info on what is underneath the shell or how the interiors looked or what the features were.

For all we know, it would have been powered by an 180 bhp 5L V8 hemi.

There is no harm in calling a spade a spade....... while i appreciate the effort, the result is unimaginative & hideous..........

This, on the other hand, must rank as one of their better efforts......

Aditya

HAL Car-untitled.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th April 2009 at 12:22. Reason: Image re-uploaded as jpg for convenience & please try to avoid multiple "............."s
Old 18th April 2009, 07:10   #25
BHPian

I was talking to an old gentleman that worked in HAL from the 60s. He mentioned that the body of the car was made of composites.
The car was used within the factory and never on public roads.
Old 18th April 2009, 12:22   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
I was talking to an old gentleman that worked in HAL from the 60s. He mentioned that the body of the car was made of composites.
The car was used within the factory and never on public roads.
Can you ask him what eventually happened to it? Does it languish somewhere in a desolate stockyard
Old 18th April 2009, 14:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
This car is another testimony to the absolute lack of design aesthetics and sensibilities among the stodgy Indian middle class.Now i understand why the D'Zire and the redesigned Zen are so popular!!
are you a NRI?
siddartha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2009, 17:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
are you a NRI?
What does being an NRI have to do with Anything here?? Shyam, Thanks for the Clarification regarding the bonet ridge.
Old 20th April 2009, 12:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
What does being an NRI have to do with Anything here?? Shyam, Thanks for the Clarification regarding the bonet ridge.
nothing really, the contempt in that statement just made me curious .
Old 7th April 2012, 01:50   #30
BHPian

HAL manufactured four wheelers

@mods: Please move as deemed appropriate to Vintage and Classic Cars section

This is an absolutely new information for me. HAL - as the name suggests it used to manufacture parts for the airplanes, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a bus and a car manufactured by HAL in the 50s and 60s. The more distinguished petrolheads will have further information on this. Do share.

Here are the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
HAL Car-hal-designed-car.jpg  

HAL Car-hal-fabricated-bus-body.jpg  

HorsPwr is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks