Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 23:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Seat Belts Compulsory -Whats Your Answer for The Favourite Vintage or Classic Car?

In many metros and cities the traffic authorities are enforcing the seat belt law, making it compulsory to be used by front seat occupants.
It means that Vintage and Classic cars are no exception. Though these are driven once in a while and at average speeds of 50 kmph or less, the law does not spare the oldies.
Seat belts were alien when these old cars at their prime but are now most talked of.
I have not as yet thought of any measure to tackle it but hope we can discuss it here on this thread.
Old 24th April 2009, 23:47   #2
BHPian

I got challan'ed in Punjab a couple of years ago for the lack of seat belts in my Premier President - was pointless to argue with the cops and ended up paying a 1K fine.

I later got some seat belts retrofitted (the proper padmini seatbelts were not avaliable) and we could only find some flimsy nylon belts with buckles that snap if you tug hard.

safety - none
nuisance value - lots
and to top it all - it ruins the originality of the car

IMO - we should get the basic (but good quality) two point seatbelts and retrofit them into these beauties. No other way around.

Luckily - The president's B pillar has a place to fix them and the other end gets bolted onto the seat frame.
Old 25th April 2009, 00:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

If im correct, the rule applies only to cars manufactured after 1995 or something like that so Vintage cars are exempt. Even most taxis are if you've noticed.
Old 25th April 2009, 00:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes that is true. Whick city is this by the way?
Old 25th April 2009, 01:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Irrespective of whether the rule applies or not, its upto the car owner to realise how useful seatbelts are in an event of a crash.

It may be a vintage car and you might be driving very slow, but what if a speeding oncoming vehicle loses control and has a head on collision with your car. Without setbelts holding you back, you could end up with far more serious injuries.

Shan2nu
Old 25th April 2009, 01:17   #6
BHPian

I think it would be a good thing to fit seat belts even in vintage cars. Even 40 kph is enough to crack a rib or worse if the occupants get thrown forward.
But is it possible to fit seat belts in these cars? Has anyone done this. If so, does any member have pics?
Old 25th April 2009, 02:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
If im correct, the rule applies only to cars manufactured after 1995 or something like that so Vintage cars are exempt. Even most taxis are if you've noticed.
I've read this even earlier but is there any substantial evidence of this available anywhere? So we could keep a copy to point out to the thullas (who obviously don't care how unsafe some local mechanic garage-fitted, 2nd rate quality belt is, just enforce the rule!) in case they stop you. Which again normally not to that extent, as most of them are intelligent enough to not expect these in a prehistoric car- aside, I've noticed that even though the law is mandatory in AP, most vintage/classic cars in Hyd. don't have them at all!

But I do wish that someone among the powers that be has enough sense prevailing in them not to enforce the rule blindly, and make exemptions in case of cars that are way too old/underpowered to be considered fit for seatbelts!
Especially when such sense has prevailed even in developed countries that got the seatbelt rule far earlier than we even knew what these are!

As crackedhead points out, imposing the rule blindly only results in the fitting of something all the more unsafe in the cars!
Old 25th April 2009, 03:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I've read this even earlier but is there any substantial evidence of this available anywhere? So we could keep a copy to point out to the thullas (who obviously don't care how unsafe some local mechanic garage-fitted, 2nd rate quality belt is, just enforce the rule!) i

As crackedhead points out, imposing the rule blindly only results in the fitting of something all the more unsafe in the cars!
its mentioned in the motor vehicles act but i dont know if thats a state or a national body who governs it. ill try and get a copy for you and post the scanned part.
Old 25th April 2009, 08:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
its mentioned in the motor vehicles act but i dont know if thats a state or a national body who governs it. ill try and get a copy for you and post the scanned part.
Sure, do...thanks, Sirji! I'm sure it'd be helpful to a lot of people.
Old 25th April 2009, 09:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

A funny incident regarding seat belts, a couple of months ago I had gone to poona RTO to pass my 1956 Fiat 1100 (MTP 8389) it was greatly appreciated by the RTO officer in charge of passing.

On the way back to my house I was pulled up by some traffic constables and on enquiring they informed me I was not wearing a seat belt. I asked the constables if they knew whether seatbelts were available in 1956, they said no and retorted back with " this isnt a 1956 Fiat, this is the new small fiat we have been passing from Ranjangaon(whre the fiat factory is located)." They had mistaken the car for the new 500. Finally after showing them copies of the registration book and making them speak to the officer who had passed the car they finally relented. I was more amused then irritated, how ever the poor bewildered constables finally left me with a few parting praises on the maintainence of the car.
Old 25th April 2009, 11:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
In many metros and cities the traffic authorities are enforcing the seat belt law, making it compulsory to be used by front seat occupants.
It means that Vintage and Classic cars are no exception. Though these are driven once in a while and at average speeds of 50 kmph or less, the law does not spare the oldies.
Seat belts were alien when these old cars at their prime but are now most talked of.
I have not as yet thought of any measure to tackle it but hope we can discuss it here on this thread.

Often cops plays on your ignorance. Seat belts are mandatory for vehicles registered after 1995 or make of 1995 and after. Cops catches the old vehicle drivers just to make fast buck. If you argue with them on point, they will blabber and allow you to go with some grunt. When you are right no need to get submissive and cough up penalty.

BTW wearing the seat belt has it's own benefits. I and my cousin were saved just because we both wore seat belt in one of the bizzare accident.

So wearing seat belt never hurts
Dwarak
Old 25th April 2009, 12:51   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Similar discussion here as well.
Old 25th April 2009, 13:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

I personally wouldn't try o install belts in a classic if hey were not safe enoough.

How about duct tape instead.

Much more durable and can be renewed after each drive !!!!!
Old 25th April 2009, 19:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sorry you are wrong , the MVI (amendment) Act states that it is applicable to all vehicles registered after 2003,
seat belts were fiitted to all vehicles after 1994
Old 25th April 2009, 20:32   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually the newly amended Motor Vehicles Act 1988 is a Central Act which has repealed the earlier one of I believe 1938 (this was continuously amended from time to time).Maharashtra was following the Bombay Motor Vehicles(BMV) Act of 1939, based on the old Central Act.Now the Maharashtra Motor Vehicles Act of 1988 repeals the old BMV Act.
Though motor vehicles and transport are a concurrent subject, the enforcement part is the responsibility of the respective state governments and union territories.Based on the Central Act, many state governments and union territories have passed similar Acts in 1988, 1989 and so on. This is because the Central Act of 1988 has the proviso making it mandatory for states and union territories to enforce their own laws based on the Central Act.Helmets and seat belts are compulsory as per the Central Act. The enforcement was done in the 1990's. Also indicators for two wheelers were made compulsory and the 1989 Bajaj Supers,Chetaks, M80's with indicators are living examples of how the implementation part works.Even new Rajdoots and Bullets were fitted with indicators.
I do agree that seat belts are safe and are a necessity for all cars.The aesthetics of older cars are totally spoilt.Imagine a 1932 Austin 7 tourer with tiny seats fitted with seat belts obscuring the car's aesthetics. its similar for all other old cars.
Like in the U.K. they have a MOT (Ministry of Transport) fitness test for older cars every 12 months. Its a tough test to get through. Indicators are compulsory and so we find them in all old cars there. I have to ask my friend about compulsory seat belts for old cars there.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 25th April 2009 at 20:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks