Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 10:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Some months ago I visited the Delhi rail museum. There was this engine, which has more than a passing resemblence to automobiles. The bonnet was not open, it was actually placed improperly with the other side hanging down. It was not folded up to open.
Looking inside one could see the engine, certainly looks like a petrol engine. And it is fitted with a Magneto. I would have liked to refer them to Mr. Magneto of Mumbai, but I doubt that they would ever want to get that running.
The grill also does not seem to be original, or atleast modified.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-rail-motor-1.jpg  

Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-rail-motor-2.jpg  

Old 13th August 2009, 18:36   #47
BHPian

Thanks Shusil,
I have been working desperately on the SU, pump and tried a number of designs using a optic sensor, a magnetic sensor, a reed magnetic sensor, but all had flaws in them as the pump has to work in adverse conditions.
Ultimately i did hit upon a design which is self actuated without any sort of sensors, and is working great.

It is being put through through its paces and after extensive trials, will be offered to a couple of critics for their comments before it is offered to all enthusiasts as a service.
Here are some pictures;

Bye
M.
Attached Thumbnails
Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-without-cover.jpg  

Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-image008.jpg  

Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-diaphram.jpg  

Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-completed-pump.jpg  

Old 19th August 2009, 13:14   #48
BHPian

Dear Harit, Looks very workable, everything seems to be on the engine.
It is quite deplorable to see such machines, in such a poor state,and that too in a museum.
I am quite sure if this was in some other country, it would be in pristine condition.
I could get the magneto going in no time at all, but what about the rest of it ?.
I remember having done a railway rail inspection trolley magneto for someone in Baroda which worked both ways,with a two stroke engine to run either way.
Old 15th September 2009, 21:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

Asharbhai,
Going off topic here. What would be a fair price for a 1956 R 50 BMW some parts like carb exhaust not original, but working condition, blue spark from magneto.
Regards
Nigel

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 15th September 2009 at 21:27.
Old 28th September 2009, 13:27   #50
BHPian

Dear D ,
I am sorry for replying late ,as i was out for some time.
Bmw are worth much more in India because of their rarity ,whereas comparatively they are cheaper in Europe as they are quite common. Now considering that they are difficult to come by ,i would check the bike for originality as the fitments on this model are very expensive ,and mechanics of the machine need to be of reasonable quality ,as these take up a lot of expense in fixing .

I would not worry about the tin and paintwork as these are easy and cheap to fix in india.

Last but not the lease these machines came with either a earls fork and alloy wheels ,or a optional telescopic forks with a steel rim for lugging a side car ,

I would discount the price of the latter one.

Also look for broken fins and a scored head resulting from a fall or an accident ,which can seriosly damage the con rod if hit hard.

Well i would not really worry about the magneto as they can be fixed easily.

I would rate a good bike in the range of 3 to 5 depending on the quality ,and you can afford to pay more if it has all the parts intact ,it will save you the trouble of procuring them .
Bye M.
Old 29th September 2009, 22:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Dear M,
Thanks for the reply. This one has the Earles fork. Tell me are stainless steel spokes still made out here. I need to make some (preferable double butted ones).
Regards D
Old 30th September 2009, 12:35   #52
BHPian

butted ss spokes

Dear D ,
I am more into cars nowadays ,but have all my contacts ,so will gather more information for the ss spokes.

Bye ,
M.
Old 3rd October 2009, 23:39   #53
BHPian

Can this be a Scott Flying Squirrel ( 1936 ) magdynamo ? What other bikes could sport a similar magdyno ?
Attached Thumbnails
Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-magdyno.jpg  

Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-magdyno1.jpg  

Old 8th October 2009, 23:29   #54
BHPian

Dear Domi,
I am sorry i have not come across be of this type , seems to be of standard design , in case it needs to be worked on.

It seems that the armature for the dynamo and gears are not fitted on , or missing.

As for your second question , the nearest in construction is a bosch magdynamo ,used on a R 12 .

I get many mags from upcountry by courier , and cannot get any information on the machine it comes from ,because of lack of communication or information.

Bye ,
M.
Old 21st January 2011, 21:15   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto View Post
As for your second question , the nearest in construction is a bosch magdynamo ,used on a R 12 .Bye ,
M.
Dear M,
Haven't heard from you for nearly a year and a half now. Time flies. How are things with you? Would it be possible to know what type of condensor we use these days in magnetos. Also I have a triumph twin pre war mag-dynamo. Is it possible to get the coil wound and the magnet charged. It does give a blue spark but I think it's not been worked on at all.
regards
N
Old 23rd June 2012, 19:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

Recently a Watford Magneto came my way. Model EO6, also suitable for Rolls Royce Silver Ghost. All is intact, the grease caps, bakelite parts, and it works. It is mounted on a wooden block and only 2 wire are connected, maybe sufficient for the purpose intended.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-mag1.jpg  

Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-mag2.jpg  

Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-mag3.jpg  

Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-mag4.jpg  

Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-mag5.jpg  

Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-mag6.jpg  

Magneto blues? Get all your magneto info here...-mag7.jpg  

Old 24th June 2012, 13:21   #57
Senior - BHPian

Nice find....it looks so nice mounted on that wooden base...was it on display somewhere at some point
Old 24th June 2012, 20:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Recently a Watford Magneto came my way. Model EO6, also suitable for Rolls Royce Silver Ghost. All is intact, the grease caps, bakelite parts, and it works. It is mounted on a wooden block and only 2 wire are connected, maybe sufficient for the purpose intended.

Cheers harit
This seems to be from some institute for demonstration of a magneto system , as I can see the handle on it for cranking .
It could have also been used for telephone ringer for long distance calls , used by the railways , to alert the other side to pick up the reciever .
Last but not the least , such devises we're also used for interrogation of criminals during the British rule .
Magneto
Old 25th June 2012, 12:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto View Post
Last but not the least , such devises we're also used for interrogation of criminals during the British rule .
Magneto
How interesting, do tell us how this was done ?
Old 25th June 2012, 12:29   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
How interesting, do tell us how this was done ?
Dear wasif ,
I am sure that lots of things can be left for ones imagination and cannot be discussed on a public forum .
The spark and sound are an example for the other person to cooperate .

Last edited by magneto : 25th June 2012 at 12:48.
magneto is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks