Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 07:25   #1
BHPian

Custom Cars in India

In the Spirit of the thread "Hot Rods in India" I thought that a thread on "Custom Cars in India" would be complimentary and could cover both Vintage and Classic Cars that have been customized, modified or embellished from their original specifications.

Building Customs and Customizing has been apart of the automobile industry since it's inception and constitutes are small but important part of the past, present and future of our automotive history.

I am posting a few cars that I feel fit into this thread and look forward to see what "Customs" are on the streets of India, and of course some good exchange of comments and opinions.

These examples are from the N.E. of India. Some have just "custom" paint jobs that seem to be in vogue these days. Another comment is that with the vintage cars. it is almost impossible to determine the original interior fabrics and if so, to be able to obtain similar materials, subsequently to a degree, their interiors have been "customized".
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Cars in India-img_4597.jpg  

Custom Cars in India-vintage-cars-101.jpg  

Custom Cars in India-vintage-cars-108.jpg  

Custom Cars in India-vintage-cars-074.jpg  

Custom Cars in India-vintage-cars-040.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 12th May 2009, 07:38   #2
BHPian

Here are few more cars from the Statesman Rally in New Delhi that seem to fall into this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Cars in India-10.jpg  

Custom Cars in India-img_3679.jpg  

Custom Cars in India-img_3665.jpg  

Custom Cars in India-img_3640.jpg  

Custom Cars in India-img_3639.jpg  

Custom Cars in India-img_3630.jpg  

Custom Cars in India-6.jpg  

Custom Cars in India-50.jpg  

Old 12th May 2009, 09:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi John.

How are things out in Canada.

Nice pics here What car is the tourer with wooden wheels in the picture below. Also what is custom with the cars in your second post. Most of them look quiet faithfully restored.

Wasif
Old 12th May 2009, 10:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi John.

Nice pics here What car is the tourer with wooden wheels in the picture below. Also what is custom with the cars in your second post. Most of them look quiet faithfully restored.

Wasif
I will try and check on #6 with the wooden wheels and let you know the make and year.

I posted the other cars as a point of reference as I feel that their paint jobs were not original and reflect so many cars I have seen that have had a "custom" paint finish. A lot of the late model Buicks have two tone paint jobs that I have never seen in here in N.A. let alone the colours. The english cars, I am not that familiar with, but again the colours seem to be inappropriate and I would like to learn more about what was offered when built.

If one is a serious about restoration, then the paint job should be correct, if not it should be considered incorrect and with some could be considered a "custom" paint job.

The magnificent Merc I recall in one of the threads reported that it had had some "custom" body work done on the rear end while in Bombay. How should this car be classified?

There are cars in Calcutta that have been embellished or Customized with incorrect head lamps. horns, etc and some have been significantly modified to resemble a more exotic model and one has been transformed from a sedan into a roadster. How should they be classified?

At the end of the day they might look great and credit should be given to the shop and owner for creating a great looking car, but from point of originality what are they?

I realize we are a very divers community with various points of view, but sharing the same passion. Some purists, others in love with anything that moves, and this is what makes BHP such a great place as it brings us all together. For me I appreciate a 100% restoration as well as a great Hot Rod or Custom.

Over in N.A. we have been on this path of diversity for a long time. In India it is great to be able to see and participate in the growth and excitement that is building as the choices and opportunities are developing to explore our past, present and future worlds of automobile-mania. Two of my favorite Car programs are Top Gear and Car Crazy, worth checking out on the web.

I have a few more "customs" that i will post for comment and discussion and hopefully other members can add to this thread.
Old 13th May 2009, 19:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi John.

Wasif
It is a 1927 Graham Paige from the US.

Last edited by john a milne : 13th May 2009 at 19:29. Reason: correction
Old 13th May 2009, 22:46   #6
BHPian

A little off topic and not sure where to post but Mind Blowing!

While watching "Car Crazy" there was in interview with Alex Roy who had completed a "Canon Ball Run" driving a BMW across the U.S. from East to West, traveling 2889 miles in 32 hours and 7 minutes averaging 90 mph! A new record. He is doing a short movie which should be most interesting.
Old 14th May 2009, 04:17   #7
BHPian

Here's a very nice Morris Minor that has the feel of a "Custom" with the Mag wheels. In this case, with an extra set of original wheels and tires it could enjoy the best of two worlds.
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Cars in India-img_1140.jpg  

Custom Cars in India-img_1136.jpg  

Custom Cars in India-img_1138.jpg  

Old 18th February 2010, 11:05   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is pickup based on a Hindusthan 14/Morris Oxford. A known Bombay car, it seems to have been shot in Goa now.

Custom Cars in India-14.jpg

Beware of the owner on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 7th March 2010, 16:50   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a unique home made roadster built on (I assume) a Herald chassis. At some angles it could have potential to look good, but I suppose back when it was built it must have been the cat's whiskers.

Custom Cars in India-wierd05.jpg

Custom Cars in India-wierd07.jpg

Custom Cars in India-wierd08.jpg

Custom Cars in India-wierd09.jpg

Wonder if it survives? These pictures are at least 12 years old.
Old 7th March 2010, 22:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

wasn't this roadster used in several movies and Tv serials...
Old 8th March 2010, 00:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is a unique home made roadster built on (I assume) a Herald chassis. At some angles it could have potential to look good, but I suppose back when it was built it must have been the cat's whiskers.

Wonder if it survives? These pictures are at least 12 years old.
WOW!!! nice car except that awful hood & the wheelcaps. the rear looks cool too.
Old 8th March 2010, 14:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
wasn't this roadster used in several movies and Tv serials...
It is possible, I remember seeing the car in cream colour earlier, driven by a comedian common in films and serials, I forget the name. Rakesh something?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks