Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 04:35   #16
BHPian

Awesome ! Lots of hard work put in, and it really shows.

Just wondering, is it that difficult to make a metal badge with a precision like that of cars we get in the market ? The 'MORGAN' text is not very smooth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning his skills here, it shows on the entire car, the job's done better than something I might ever be able to do....just wondering.
Old 18th August 2010, 12:44   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
is it that difficult to make a metal badge with a precision like that of cars we get in the market ?
It's just a precision engineering job; certainly no harder than making engine parts!

A jeweller would probably be more familiar with such work than an auto engineer, though.
Old 21st August 2010, 10:27   #18
BHPian

Thank you Gentlemen for your comments. Just a little run up to this project, as you can see from the first photograph, how I got the inspiration to take up this job that had almost no referance point only a part of the bonnet and the passenger area compartment came with the salvage. The chassis was only the front half and the front suspension was heavily modified, probably raised the front end by 3 inches for use in some rural area. Incidently this carcase had come to me from some remote place in Assam.There were no other body bits that came along. There is just no referance available about the technical specks, hence I took the dimentions from an old model Morgan that shared the same chassis specks. That was the start and the end came all through referance photographs without any support from any agency. Yes, I do understand, its no great sakes for any technically qualified, supported by a team of qualified technecians to do this build up but mine is a very basic & a rudimentary setup that does not have the facilities of a design shop or engineers to do the technical back up, hence the project was a bit challenging and one had to be very innovative at every stage to design & build the next bits.
The airconditioning & heating was a customer requirment and the validity of the registration came along with the carcase, they only had to be re-validated after paying the neccessary panalties and taxes. Yes, the badge was no big deal it only had to be transfered from a photo and it could have been easier getting done by an outside agency but the real challenge was doing Every Bit inhouse & by yourself. Today with almost every pin that can be procured on the net, one only needs a set up, just to assemble the job. Let me share the personal satisfaction, which Iam sure you people may not realise, its the Satisfaction & the Joy of doing some thing your self rather than hireing expertise & getting the job done.

Cheers and thank you all for your comments.
Old 21st August 2010, 16:31   #19
BHPian

this is super brilliant stuff. I never knew hot rodding of this level is done in india not due to lack of talent but due to lack of resources

Last edited by cmdalvi : 21st August 2010 at 16:39.
Old 21st August 2010, 18:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdalvi View Post
this is super brilliant stuff. I never knew hot rodding of this level is done in india not due to lack of talent but due to lack of resources
Shree Dalvi Sahib,

This is not hot rodding. If a larger engine had been dropped in and heavy mechanical modifications made, with some added styling, then maybe. This is a creation, custom built car, some may call it a replica. Unfortunately government rules do not permit custom built cars. Recently on TV many would have seen where the guys in US build a helicopter on wheels, they actually used a helicopter shell and made a drivable chassis. They called a cop who came and inspected it, saw that it had met with some legal requirements including lighting, and then it was driven on a highway. Here authorities have forced owners to scrap customised Limos built on cars like a Hyundai Sonata.
This Morgan replica is a nice effort. As it there are few Morgans in India, many of these few were raced, and in Bangalore there is a Morgan which came from Assam.

Cheers harit
Old 21st August 2010, 19:18   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
Let me share the personal satisfaction, which Iam sure you people may not realise, its the Satisfaction & the Joy of doing some thing your self rather than hireing expertise & getting the job done.

Even if you had a fully equipped engineering workshop this would still be a great accomplishment.

Old 21st August 2010, 21:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
Let me share the personal satisfaction, which Iam sure you people may not realise, its the Satisfaction & the Joy of doing some thing your self rather than hireing expertise & getting the job done.

Tituji,

I share your joy. Some were in my back of mind are cars like morgan, super 7, wrestfield. Always wanted to do some thing similar. But never had could do it. This one hell of a Job and hat's off to you.
Old 29th August 2010, 00:35   #23
BHPian

No words to describe this beauty, Sir, would you have WIP pics of the build? If so please post them. Would love to see the attention paid to details.
Old 29th August 2010, 11:25   #24
BHPian

Brilliant !

Hats off to Tutu Dhawan - The before and after pics will make any petrolhead feel good . Also like the fact the they have restored the original engine / suspension setup etc and not put in a new ones like we see on many of these TV shows. The exterior color and the wooden interior look fab too.

Also noticed the little fire extinguisher under the dash - Attention to detail is superb

Cheers !
Old 29th August 2010, 20:55   #25
BHPian

This car was on zigwheels on ETnow today. Beautiful car,wonderful work by Mr.Tutu Dhawan
Old 29th August 2010, 22:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

A few High quality pics of this car.

Credit goes to - Karan Malik and Karan Hiranandani of Karan & karan photography.
Attached Thumbnails
Tutu's hand built Morgan-img_2202.jpg  

Tutu's hand built Morgan-img_2203.jpg  

Tutu's hand built Morgan-img_2204.jpg  

Tutu's hand built Morgan-img_2205.jpg  

Tutu's hand built Morgan-img_2206.jpg  

Tutu's hand built Morgan-img_2207.jpg  

Old 29th August 2010, 23:23   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not normally get excited about wheels... but those are amazing!

As is the whole car. A wonderful piece of ...not work, but art!
Old 30th August 2010, 09:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Great shots. These pics do the true justice in bringing out the Hard Work Mr. Dhawan did on this car. BTW am a little confused regarding the registration no. of this car, as it was picked up from Assam but boasts a Lucknow no.
Old 31st August 2010, 14:07   #29
BHPian

Those rims are fantastic. The car is really a work of art.
Old 31st August 2010, 14:16   #30
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Posting pics of the same car from the Supercar Event, Delhi, which was held earlier this year at the Claridges.
Attached Thumbnails
Tutu's hand built Morgan-dsc04266.jpg  

Tutu's hand built Morgan-dsc04268.jpg  

Tutu's hand built Morgan-dsc04356.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks