Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 22:53   #1
BHPian

Harley-Davidson WLA / WLC

I am looking forward to speak or contact someone who owns or knows whereabouts of WWII Harley-Davidson WLA or WLC. Looking forward to discuss the condition, history, restoration process, availability of these bikes in India. This is one area I am very much interested in but have very few information. Looking forward to learn a bit about these WWII MV's.

Any help or leads would appreciated.

Rejo

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2011 at 20:03. Reason: No phone numbers or SMS offers. Please discuss whatever you have to on the forum itself.
Old 31st December 2010, 18:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson WLA / WLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewJ View Post
I am looking forward to speak or contact someone who owns or knows whereabouts of WWII Harley-Davidson WLA or WLC. Looking forward to discuss the condition, history, restoration process, availability of these bikes in India. Looking forward to learn a bit about these WWII MV's.
Why only Harleys? There were other bikes too used in WWII and in much larger numbers.
Old 31st December 2010, 18:36   #3
BHPian

A big time vintage/classic broker had shown me this a few weeks back. I have just one pic at the moment of the engine
Attached Thumbnails
Harley-Davidson WLA / WLC-image0251.jpg  

Old 4th January 2011, 15:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Why only Harleys? There were other bikes too used in WWII and in much larger numbers.
Well, I kind of fell in love with a HD WLA /WLC and want to know more about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
A big time vintage/classic broker had shown me this a few weeks back. I have just one pic at the moment of the engine
Wondering if I can speak to the vintage HD WLA broker.
Btw, is the pictured engine a WLA?

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2011 at 20:03. Reason: No phone numbers or SMS offers. Please discuss whatever you have to on the forum itself.
Old 11th February 2011, 12:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewJ View Post
I am looking forward to speak or contact someone who owns or knows whereabouts of WWII Harley-Davidson WLA or WLC. Looking forward to discuss the condition, history, restoration process, availability of these bikes in India. This is one area I am very much interested in but have very few information. Looking forward to learn a bit about these WWII MV's.

Any help or leads would appreciated.

Rejo
Hi Rejo , its so nice to meet you here ,why only Harleys ? FYI there is a famous james hand gear version in Changanassery , the photos I have posted in the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...malabar-2.html , Please have a look.

BTW , please mind posting your jeep pics in the classics of Travancaore Cochin and Malabar thread , It will be so precious to that thread, If you dont mind I will post it , what ya say ?

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2011 at 20:04. Reason: Removing cell phone number in quoted post
Old 14th February 2011, 18:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Hi Rejo , its so nice to meet you here ,why only Harleys ? FYI there is a famous james hand gear version in Changanassery , the photos I have posted in the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...malabar-2.html , Please have a look.

BTW , please mind posting your jeep pics in the classics of Travancaore Cochin and Malabar thread , It will be so precious to that thread, If you dont mind I will post it , what ya say ?
I don't know why but as I said I like the WLA and its history very much and I want to own one for myself

Could you also please let me know the post with photo's you mentioned. I can't seem to locate it

Please go ahead and use the photo of my Jeep.

Rejo
Old 6th July 2011, 16:01   #7
BHPian

Dear Mathew

Nice to know that someone is interested in these old horses like me. There is one person whom i know in Faridabad (near delhi) who sort of restores(its not his work, he does it as a hobby and owns a lot of old bikes and cars) Harleys and Indians of those times. He told me that although most of the cosmetic parts are available in delhi with one Mr.Jaishanker Sharma who manufactures and exports these to other countries the crucial electronic and engine parts have to be imported from America/Canada(where they are still produced new).

It will take lot of patience, time and lots and lots of money to restore one of these to glory.

Anyways, if you are still interested go ahead locate and buy the bike and start restoring - there is nothing more rewarding to see these machines coming back to life with your hardwork(this is atleast my personal experience -I own a few old bikes)

just for your information what WLA/ WLC stands for:
W = is the last reincarnation of the 740cc V Twin bike pre WW2 which produced 23 horses.
L = Low compression engines
A= American Army
So it means WLA was for the american army and WLC was for the canadian army where "C" stands for CANADA

In general these were called only WL.

Not many people know that a lot of these bikes were also sent to Russia during and after WW2 on Lease/Lend agreements.

In case you need any further specific information just post i will try to help!
Old 6th July 2011, 16:13   #8
BHPian

The bike in the pic is an interesting piece of treasure, looks like a 1930's Flathead motor.
Old 6th July 2011, 20:50   #9
BHPian

Just one correction in my earlier post:
L stands for HIGH COMPRESSION. It is however not indicative of compression on current models.

The picture posted is of a 1940s WL only (Army Model). not a 1930s model.
See attached photo of the same!
Attached Thumbnails
Harley-Davidson WLA / WLC-hde.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks