Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2011, 03:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Book Review : The Maharajas & Their Magnificent Motor Cars

Some more pics from the book -

The 'Star of India', the Rolls-Royce Phantom II ordered by Thakoresaheb Dharmendrasinhiji in 1934.

Name:  H5063image1.jpg
Views: 2933
Size:  37.0 KB

The MG TC of the Maharana of Udaipur. (Makarand Baokar)

Book Review : The Maharajas & Their Magnificent Motor Cars-pic1.jpg

The Rolls-Royce Phantom II from Rajplila, bought by the Maharana in
1973. (The Pictorial Archives of the Maharanas of Mewar, Udaipur)

Book Review : The Maharajas & Their Magnificent Motor Cars-pic2.jpg

An old photo of several Udaipur Rolls-Royces. (The
Pictorial Archives of the Maharanas of Mewar, Udaipur)

Book Review : The Maharajas & Their Magnificent Motor Cars-pic3.jpg

Pranlal Bhogilal with his 1906 Mors. (Makarand Baokar)

Book Review : The Maharajas & Their Magnificent Motor Cars-pic8.jpg

Book Review : The Maharajas & Their Magnificent Motor Cars-pic9.jpg

Book Review : The Maharajas & Their Magnificent Motor Cars-pic10.jpg

Book Review : The Maharajas & Their Magnificent Motor Cars-pic11.jpg

The fabulous Talbot-Lago of the Maharani of Kapurthala
(Vince Manocchi/Nethercutt Museum)

Book Review : The Maharajas & Their Magnificent Motor Cars-pic4.jpg

Book Review : The Maharajas & Their Magnificent Motor Cars-pic7.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy seeing these pics until you get your own copies!

- Anyone willing to gift me one can do so...!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf H5063spread2.pdf (704.6 KB, 548 views)
File Type: pdf H5063spread3.pdf (723.4 KB, 551 views)
File Type: pdf H5063spread4.pdf (684.2 KB, 395 views)
File Type: pdf H5063spread5.pdf (546.7 KB, 818 views)
Old 10th February 2011, 09:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Indrojit.

That pic of those Udaipur Rolls Royces is actually not taken in India but the UK.

Even the Kapurthala Talbot Lago never came to India.
Old 10th February 2011, 10:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Is it legal to post photos of book in a website considering that whole book is copyright material. Thread title says review but it is repost/reproduction from the copyrights materials. I do not see any review comments in this thread.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 10th February 2011 at 14:00. Reason: Stick to the topic, please. Discuss the cars, not the Maharajas.
Old 10th February 2011, 20:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Thanks ...that does help understand this
If I am not wrong Mrs Sen is French.He had quit Auto India as Editor after marriage and had shifted his base to France.
Old 10th February 2011, 22:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the clarifications......I agree there is nothing wrong at any stage.

Just ordered a copy from Haynes and look forward to recieving it in a month or so
Old 10th February 2011, 22:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Is it legal to post photos of book in a website considering that whole book is copyright material. Thread title says review but it is repost/reproduction from the copyrights materials. I do not see any review comments in this thread.
To clarify,

All the material posted by me on this forum is from the internet. For your information this book isn't currently available in India. The Prefix to the title of the thread "BOOK REVIEW" was not mentioned by me but by our moderators. Kindly take this up with them. If any further clarity is required regarding this i am willing to give clarification for that.

Thank you.
Old 10th February 2011, 23:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys. Gautam Sen has requested that you only post pictures credited to him, Gautam Sen, or Makarand Baokar. Most of the B+W pictures belong to others for which he has taken the copyright from them. Even if you find any of the pictures on the internet, it does not give one a right to post here. Those pictures may also have been put up without permission.
Please abide by his request, he requests your kind understanding and is not making an issue here.

Cheers harit
Old 10th February 2011, 23:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Guys. Gautam Sen has requested that you only post pictures credited to him, Gautam Sen, or Makarand Baokar. Most of the B+W pictures belong to others for which he has taken the copyright from them. Even if you find any of the pictures on the internet, it does not give one a right to post here. Those pictures may also have been put up without permission.
Please abide by his request, he requests your kind understanding and is not making an issue here.

Cheers harit
Will keep in mind before posting from now on.
Old 12th February 2011, 16:03   #24

The Maybach is an absolute classic, the '37 6 cyl lying in Ahmedabad. The Maybach grandson came to inspect this one. Apparently there were 4 Maybachs in India, 2 6-cyl and 2 12-cyl Zeppellins. One Zep was definitely Patiala which was shipped to the US with a Swiss German owner that was for sale 10 years ago. Other states owning them were most likely Kota, Kolhapur and Jetpur though all aren't traced.
Old 12th February 2011, 16:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi! Gautam Sen has read this thread and wanted to explain, comment and clarify for the benefit of enthusiasts following tbhp.

Cheers harit

Here is what he wrote:

""I don't have an issue with photos that have been shot by me, by my wife (Anne Castagnos-Sen) as I have her permission too:-) and photos shot by Makarand Baokar (which is the bulk of the book incidentally...). Obviously regarding the photos that are by or from others, there is a big issue as in all these cases the concerned person or organisation gave me the permission to use them specifically for the book and nothing else. For the several extracts that have already come out (or are expected to come out) the various websites and magazines specifically asked for permission - each stating which photos they wish to use - and in each case I have had to refer back to the original copyrighted person for permission once again. In certain cases I haven't been allowed the use of the photos for subsequent extracts. Also the photos that have been used do not have the copyrights of the website they are being used on - obviously if some of these photos show up elsewhere with 'team-bhp' copyrights then that would be a serious problem for me...

About the other issue - as to why the first version that was released was in French. To put it simply, I live in Paris, though almost every month I spend time in Mumbai where Auto India is based (as I am back to editing Auto India since 2007), sharing my time between these two cities 50:50 almost. I live in Paris (which I have been doing since 1996) as I like the city (of course!) and allows me to live and work with the world of the automobile in Europe. But most importantly because my wife, who is French, works here too. And given the world of internet and skype it is possible to live in one city and edit a magazine in another...

Though the idea of the book has been germinating for a while (and some of you may have noticed articles on Indian collectors and cars of Indian provenance written by me or others appearing regularly in Auto India since 2008), I decided that I didn't want to work with Indian publishers (as I have already had rather bad experiences with a couple of the leading ones). Also two friends - Raphael Galdos del Carpio and Claudine Latouille - who work with French publisher E.T.A.I. liked the idea very much and persuaded me to go ahead with the book. Thus it was a French publishing house - Editions E.T.A.I. - that commissioned the book and are the lead publishers of the book. (Most may not be aware that the French are most fascinated by Indian art, culture and literature and I know of several books that get translated directly from Bengali to French before the English version come out, if at all!).

The text was written in English (my French was just about okay for the captions:-), then translated into French. It was E.TA.I. that decided to give Haynes the rights to the English edition. The English edition could have come out around the same time as the French (which was released in France on 15th October 2010), but Haynes chose to release the book early this year instead. The Maharajas & Their Magnificent Motor Cars will shortly be on sale in India too, though the 'official' launch of the book may be next month...

Hope that clarifies all...LOL!

Gautam""

Last edited by harit : 12th February 2011 at 16:50.
Old 12th February 2011, 22:07   #26
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage1 View Post
The Maybach is an absolute classic, the '37 6 cyl lying in Ahmedabad. The Maybach grandson came to inspect this one. Apparently there were 4 Maybachs in India, 2 6-cyl and 2 12-cyl Zeppellins. One Zep was definitely Patiala which was shipped to the US with a Swiss German owner that was for sale 10 years ago. Other states owning them were most likely Kota, Kolhapur and Jetpur though all aren't traced.
Check out Post 222 & 224 of "How Rich were the Maharaja's before Independence Thread"
Old 12th February 2011, 22:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

I believe, but may be wrong, that there were atleast 6 Maybach's which came to India, excluding the Mercedes clone.
I have a fantastic picture of the Zeppelin when she was in Delhi. Shall post on Monday.
Ivory Palace, Kolhapur, and Pranlal's are all 6 cylinder cars.
BTW, the largest assembled collection of maybach's was in the German Sinheim Museum, till a dedicated Museum for Maybach's opened a couple of years ago,also in Germany. In Sinsheim there was a Limo which was chopped from the end of the front door, the rear converted for commercial use either a knife sharpener or as a portable saw mill. The owner gave it to the collection with a stipulation that she be kept in that way only.
BTW, his book is a huge success from the point of view of reviews, and feedback. Lovely!!

Cheers harit
Old 13th February 2011, 12:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi Harit

Can you ask Gautam if he can convince the publishers to directly offer interested BHPians with a copy of this book at discounted prices. I am sure there is enough interest to sell atleast a score if not more.

rgds
Amol
Old 13th February 2011, 12:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hi Harit

Can you ask Gautam if he can convince the publishers to directly offer interested BHPians with a copy of this book at discounted prices. I am sure there is enough interest to sell atleast a score if not more.

rgds
Amol
That would definitely be a great idea.

I for one have already ordered one from Haynes and am waiting for it to show up.
Old 13th February 2011, 12:28   #30
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hi Harit

rgds
Amol
Count me in please, I for one would definitely like a own a copy of this book.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks