Team-BHP > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2014, 16:03   #76
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Stuttgart, DE
Posts: 336
Thanked: 232 Times
Default Re: Cheap "do-it-all" car for rough use

Hello Bhpians,

I have a a bit whacky requirement. I am coming to India(KA 01-05) in July and would have a brief stay <=7 months.
Looking for a car <=1.2Lacs.
Pls suggest. Me preferences in order of priority:
1. Ford Ikon - nice built, big and pretty cheap nowadays
2. Alto - After all a tried and tested Maruti
3. Santro - Another reliable work horse.
4. M800 - Last option.

Thanks in advance.
Shiv_1984 is offline  
Old 26th May 2014, 16:18   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,537
Thanked: 1,176 Times
Default Re: Cheap "do-it-all" car for rough use

@Shiv_1984 - A Ford Ikon can cut pretty deep in your pockets even in the 7 months that you'd own this car, stay away unless the seller is a reliable person.

BTW, are you planning to sell the car before going back?
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 16:18   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,386
Thanked: 1,618 Times
Default Re: Cheap "do-it-all" car for rough use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Hello Bhpians,

I have a a bit whacky requirement. I am coming to India(KA 01-05) in July and would have a brief stay <=7 months.
Looking for a car <=1.2Lacs.
Pls suggest. Me preferences in order of priority:
1. Ford Ikon - nice built, big and pretty cheap nowadays
2. Alto - After all a tried and tested Maruti
3. Santro - Another reliable work horse.
4. M800 - Last option.

Thanks in advance.
If you are coming for a short stay, either hire a car, or get a new car and sell it off. You may even evaluate options of leasing the car for 6 months or so.

In my opinion hiring is your best choice. You can get a daily rate of between 800 and 1200 on long term basis. You driver, fuel and maintenance are taken care of - so no head aches. If the car and/or driver "break down", the operator sends another.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 17:32   #79
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Stuttgart, DE
Posts: 336
Thanked: 232 Times
Default Re: Cheap "do-it-all" car for rough use

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
@Shiv_1984 - A Ford Ikon can cut pretty deep in your pockets even in the 7 months that you'd own this car, stay away unless the seller is a reliable person.

BTW, are you planning to sell the car before going back?
Yes, I will sell it before I leave which is early next year. BTW, I was just carried away by the looks of the Ikon, looks so mascular, isnt it? Never knew it could be an expensive machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you are coming for a short stay, either hire a car, or get a new car and sell it off. You may even evaluate options of leasing the car for 6 months or so.

In my opinion hiring is your best choice. You can get a daily rate of between 800 and 1200 on long term basis. You driver, fuel and maintenance are taken care of - so no head aches. If the car and/or driver "break down", the operator sends another.
Thanks Aroy.. But, the run wont be much as I use office cab for office commutes and I need this car only for my down town trips with family (max 500 kms /month). So looking at my use vis-a-vis what I have to pay to the car company doesn't make too much sense else that would have been the best option.

Pls continue to pour in your suggestions.

Thanks.
Shiv_1984 is offline  
Old 26th May 2014, 19:03   #80
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,002
Thanked: 8,737 Times
Default Re: Cheap "do-it-all" car for rough use

In this case, an Alto looks like a good option. Thought the re-sale value will be high when you buy it, the same applies when you sell it as well. The ONLY point to make sure is that you give ample time to sell the car.
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 27th May 2014, 09:08   #81
BHPian
 
ank.nsit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 617
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Cheap "do-it-all" car for rough use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Hello Bhpians,

I have a a bit whacky requirement. I am coming to India(KA 01-05) in July and would have a brief stay <=7 months.
Looking for a car <=1.2Lacs.
Pls suggest. Me preferences in order of priority:
1. Ford Ikon - nice built, big and pretty cheap nowadays
2. Alto - After all a tried and tested Maruti
3. Santro - Another reliable work horse.
4. M800 - Last option.

Thanks in advance.
I would suggest you to visit Maruti True value & buy Alto from them. Also, ask them the buyback price after 7 months of the same car.
You might loose around 10K in dealing with True value than with direct sellers/buyers, but it would save a lot of time & effort.
ank.nsit is offline  
Old 28th May 2014, 11:47   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,386
Thanked: 1,618 Times
Default Re: Cheap "do-it-all" car for rough use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Yes, I will sell it before I leave which is early next year. BTW, I was just carried away by the looks of the Ikon, looks so mascular, isnt it? Never knew it could be an expensive machine.



Thanks Aroy.. But, the run wont be much as I use office cab for office commutes and I need this car only for my down town trips with family (max 500 kms /month). So looking at my use vis-a-vis what I have to pay to the car company doesn't make too much sense else that would have been the best option.

Pls continue to pour in your suggestions.

Thanks.
If you need it for occasional down town trips a 1/2 day cab is the way to go. For a short duration, getting a car and then selling it is really not worth the trouble. In Delhi, we can get cabs for 1/2 day 40km for any where between 600 and 1200 depending on the model.
Aroy is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks