Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 21:16   #46
vij
BHPian

re: Hunt for Skoda Laura L&K replacement - will it be BMW X1? No! It's the Mercedes S350!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry View Post
We should definitely create a new thread. Please do it Balan.

This is my last post "off topic"

Androdev - you might want to have a look at the Mini Countryman, I saw it parked at the BMW dealership the other day. Looks very robust with ample GC. Should cost you similar to the highline 3 , the only problem as far as I am concerned is it is Petrol only.
Grossly overpriced is the Countryman. X1 has a better badge value and is also the better car - whats more the X1 costs less too.
Old 31st January 2012, 21:22   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij
Grossly overpriced is the Countryman. X1 has a better badge value and is also the better car - whats more the X1 costs less too.
Mini has a different brand proposition to offer altogether and it will turn more heads on the street than the X1 and if you compare the exclusive 20d with the Mini Countryman then they are quite similarly priced. The CE variants of both 3 & X1 are worthless IMO, I would rather buy the Superb or the Passat for that price if I ever have to.
Old 3rd February 2012, 07:30   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hunt for Skoda Laura L&K replacement - will it be BMW X1? No! It's the Mercedes S350!

Update: X1 is ruled out. In its current avtar, it doesn't make a good family car due to its harsh ride and NVH levels.

Next up:

New X3. Will TD during this weekend.

Used E60 530D (only because 530D in any generation is my dream car) but GC worries me. Found one 530D highline at 30+L for a Dec-2008, 55K with 5yrs+1lakh km BSI.
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:45   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I feel X3 probably will please you. Very well appointed interiors, comfortable and does not have the bulk of X5. And your GC concerns will get addressed too.
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:27   #50
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Countryman is an iconic vehicle in its own way. There is no way that it has less "badge" value than the X1. At best they can be said to be on par.

Incidentally performance-wise, there was a shoot out between the Countryman and the Yeti and the Yeti walked away with the honours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:31   #51
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Countryman is an iconic vehicle in its own way. There is no way that it has less "badge" value than the X1. At best they can be said to be on par.

Incidentally performance-wise, there was a shoot out between the Countryman and the Yeti and the Yeti walked away with the honours!
IMO the Countryman borrows the fame of the little brother - mini cooper. Thats about it for me(badge wise). Yeti ofcourse is a unique proposition - brilliant. I wish they had taken care of the rear looks - I like it from all angles except for the rear. I am considering the Yeti too.

Last edited by vij : 3rd February 2012 at 09:35.
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:33   #52
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes thats right I agree. The same way that the X1 borrows some fame at least from its iconic bigger brothers the M3 and so on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
IMO I think the Countryman borrows the fame of the little brother - mini cooper. Thats about it for me.
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:36   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I feel X3 probably will please you. Very well appointed interiors, comfortable and does not have the bulk of X5. And your GC concerns will get addressed too.
Agree with X3, just that anything beyond 40L will require my head to be examined Let us see. If the TD turns out to be 'impressive', then I will give it some serious thought.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:01   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Update: X1 is ruled out. In its current avtar, it doesn't make a good family car due to its harsh ride and NVH levels.

Next up:

Used E60 530D (only because 530D in any generation is my dream car) but GC worries me. Found one 530D highline at 30+L for a Dec-2008, 55K with 5yrs+1lakh km BSI.
Now I can see your next car being the X3. Its got brilliant dynamics and it will leave you impressed for sure. Though since you have always wanted a fast car, why not get the X3 3.0d

For an E60 530d I am sure you can get a much less run car than that for a similar price. Personally 55k is too much for me, and I would only buy a car under 25k kms if used.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 3rd February 2012 at 12:03.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:05   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Now I can see your next car being the X3. Its got brilliant dynamics and it will leave you impressed for sure. Though since you have always wanted a fast car, why not get the X3 3.0d

For an E60 530d I am sure you can get a much less run car than that for a similar price. Personally 55k is too much for me, and I would only buy a car under 25k kms if used.
X3 3.0 is well over 60L in Bangalore. I went through the same experience while buying 520. When it really comes to putting your money where your moth is, spending 10L difference just for engine is such a hard decision. The 520D, X3 2.0 are not like corp editions - they got all the goodies minus the engine. I guess BMW wants say buy our 3 liters if you truly love our engines above all else or you are just way too loaded that you don't giveadamn.

Case for a 5 series is very weak. Just don't want to be worried about the ground-clearance.

Last edited by androdev : 3rd February 2012 at 15:07.
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hope this thread helps. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...-thoughts.html
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:11   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
X3 3.0 is well over 60L in Bangalore. I went through the same experience while buying 520. When it really comes to putting your money where your moth is, spending 10L difference just for engine is such a hard decision. The 520D, X3 2.0 are not like corp editions - they got all the goodies minus the engine. I guess BMW wants say buy our 3 liters if you truly love our engines above all else or you are just way too loaded that you don't giveadamn.

Case for a 5 series is very weak. Just don't want to be worried about the ground-clearance.
Well its not just the engine, there are a couple of features here and there which add to the feel good factor. Though I think the difference of 10l comes with the on road price, and is lower when it comes to the ex showroom.

What your 520d went through was a freak incident, I don't think you really need to worry that much especially since this is going to be a city car?
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:48   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Well its not just the engine, there are a couple of features here and there which add to the feel good factor. Though I think the difference of 10l comes with the on road price, and is lower when it comes to the ex showroom.

What your 520d went through was a freak incident, I don't think you really need to worry that much especially since this is going to be a city car?
I agree the features are more in 3.0 and if 2.0 did not have xenons, panoramic sunroof, iDrive, etc. I would have considered 3.0. Does 3.0 come with Navigation as standard? NAV+HUD would be an awesome feature.

Also I am no fan of this auto start/stop feature - can this be turned off permanently?

I need this car mainly for vacation travel apart from helping me maintain that elusive calmness in the super chaotic Bangalore traffic. Lot of vacation spots have very poor last mile connectivity.
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:59   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree the features are more in 3.0 and if 2.0 did not have xenons, panoramic sunroof, iDrive, etc. I would have considered 3.0. Does 3.0 come with Navigation as standard? NAV+HUD would be an awesome feature.

Also I am no fan of this auto start/stop feature - can this be turned off permanently?

I need this car mainly for vacation travel apart from helping me maintain that elusive calmness in the super chaotic Bangalore traffic. Lot of vacation spots have very poor last mile connectivity.

All the 3.0 X3 has over the 2.0 is the BRILLIANT engine, performance which will leave many many cars for dust. Also a bigger Idrive screen, sports steering wheel with paddles, a different body kit, 18" rims, and an automatic tailgate.

Considering it will be for vacation travel the X3 makes sense since its got loads of clearance and the xdrive is pretty good for most situations. The X1 and Q3 would be a little small for a vacation car.

The start stop I don't think can be turned of permanently.

Also if the X3 is turning out expensive, there is the Audi Q5 base model at some 35l ex showroom. Worth a look.
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:23   #60
BHPian

MODS : please delete this post of mine.

Last edited by Berry : 3rd February 2012 at 18:29. Reason: Created back to back posts.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks