Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2012, 22:16   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Looking for a "Vehicle" that'll make us happy!

The 1.4 in the Jetta is not an engine to look at if you wan't a quick car. Sure it may be quicker than other cars, but compared to the 1.8tsi its not that quick.

Buddy if the vRS fits in your budget with the discount, don't think twice. Since its not going to be your primary car, even the slightly stiffer suspension won't be an issue. The Jetta will not have much of a discount, and I'm sure the Laura vRS has more features than an equivalent priced Jetta (after taking discounts into the equation). Either way, vRS or not, pick up the Laura.

Incase you do see it becoming your primary vehicle, it might make sense to consider a diesel because after having a fun car at home you may not want to take the Scorpio. In that case the Jetta tdi would be a good choice, or you could possibly even consider the Laura DSG tdi. I'd suggest you take a test drive of all of these and then continue the discussion.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 22:19   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Want: A fast fun car
Budget: About 16L at the max.
My suggestions-

1. Laura TSI- Good Discounts + Brilliant Engine + well sorted chassis + lot's of potential for modifications. But car is at the end of lifecycle, next gen might not get the potent 1.8 TSI for India.

2. Kizashi MT- if you can get hold of the discounted stock. It comes with nice engine + great dynamics + exclusivity factor. Avoid the CVT.

3. Cruze LT- Dynamics nowhere as good as cars mentioned above but a super engine(new one) with wide powerband and economy of Diesel.

4. Yeti AWD- If you can negotiate good discounts. The engine is free revving and punchy with short closely stacked ratios for lots of pep.

PS- I am not aware about the actual on road prices in your region, taxes here in north are lower and all these cars can be bought in this budget.

EDIT: How about used Grand Vitara or Outlander?

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th November 2012 at 22:21.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 22:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

WIsh i can say you should get a GTI only if its available in India. Instead the Jetta TDI should definitely be checked for the torque delivery is so linear beyond 1200 RPM that the car will give you the feel of a petrol head if not the exact match. The diesel is extremely frugal, can do 150 with ease and 180 with a little less than ease. I have topped it at 186 for exactly a second and sanity prevailed.

Offcourse - Yeti - The same TDI on a 4*4 and a GTI like package. Brilliant to drive with the 6 speed MT which could have been better with an AT
If petrol look no where more than the vRS. This is the car to have for fun at that price point.

A little higher and highly over the budget is the 3 series petrol which is not a friendly car for family but a great car for the driver

Last edited by VW2010 : 18th November 2012 at 22:49.
Old 18th November 2012, 23:53   #19
Team-BHP Support

Buy a motorcycle.

Either a hd, kawasaki or a yamaha.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 23:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Why buy a car when you can buy a Harley?
Old 19th November 2012, 09:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Get a duc and elope from home. Alone. With the duc ofcourse.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

While going for a Harley or some such super-bike is indeed a great idea, I am guessing his purchase is linked to a car-lease plan. The Laura TSi looks like a good option for what is expected to be a fun-car for occasional use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
2. Kizashi MT- if you can get hold of the discounted stock. It comes with nice engine + great dynamics + exclusivity factor. Avoid the CVT.
Is the CVT that bad ? Or is it just that an enthusiast driver won't like it ?
Old 19th November 2012, 10:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice precise point of view and requirement.

If I were in your position, I would go out and buy myself a nice spanking brand new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi in the Ambition or Elegance (non L&K) trim. I think this will fit the 16 lac budget.

Then I would change my stock tyres to something more purposeful in terms of quality rubber.

Quote:
However about a month back, I moved into a new job leading to improved financial situation.

People might ask, why a Petrol in the present scenario. Simple. This is going to be a purchase of passion and it will not be the primary vehicle. Hence want a fast Petrol car.

the other TSI engine available in the market. The Laura 1.8TSI. Went to dealer and was apprised that there is a 3L discount on the RS and 2L on the Ambition variant. Haven't taken TD as yet so no comments about performance.

Came home and told all this to wifey and she says we need to hit the Jeeping circuit again which we have been missing for the last 1.5 years.
We would like to know what would TBHPians recommend in a situation like this.

POVs welcome!!!
Old 19th November 2012, 10:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Pardon me for being a absolute spoiler in the party. I would suggest wait until its time to either dispose of the Scorpio or the Nano. The way i look at it is you have two cars, and there is no real need to buy a third one, and no intentions to sell one of them. Hold on to your purchase for sometime and then buy something with lot of oomph, like a BMW.

Laura be better then Jetta when it comes to driving pleasure, but both are capable of giving sleepless nights, and at times can be prohibitively expensive to maintain.

Congratulations on the new job, is it in HYD or BLR?

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 19th November 2012 at 11:06.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 10:57   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For the given requirements (and your responses so far), a Laura vRS should be the ideal option. Good on safety and have reasonably good standard equipment.
Since it’s about year end, there should be good discounts going on. It may well fit in your budget of 16 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If I were in your position, I would go out and buy myself a nice spanking brand new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi in the Ambition or Elegance (non L&K) trim. I think this will fit the 16 lac budget.
Shankar, the regular TSI is available only in the base Active/Ambition trim. The top end will be the vRS variant.
Old 19th November 2012, 10:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Get a duc and elope from home. Alone. With the duc ofcourse.
Please to explain what is DUC ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
While going for a Harley or some such super-bike is indeed a great idea, I am guessing his purchase is linked to a car-lease plan. The Laura TSi looks like a good option for what is expected to be a fun-car for occasional use.
You have kinda hit the nail on the head.

While wifey is open to the idea of Harley as she would also like to learn how to ride a bike, I'm not yet convinced about the long term viability of this solution. Another downer is I don't have covered and secured parking area to keep an exotic bike.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:10   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't have covered and secured parking area to keep an exotic bike.
A Kawasaki Ninja 650 is NOT a exotic bike. It has enough power to weight ratio to keep all the cars in its rear view mirror. On the road would be under 6-7 lakhs.
But please factor in at least 40-50k for safety gear for your partner and you.

Any 15 lakh rupee car you buy today will easily lose 40-50% of its value in approximately 3 years. Especially if its a petrol.

Do factor that loss in your lease savings. But seriously this is one of the best dilemma's to be in.
Congrats.
Old 19th November 2012, 12:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Get a duc and elope from home. Alone. With the duc of course.
Now that is clarity of thought for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The way i look at it is you have two cars, and there is no real need to buy a third one, and no intentions to sell one of them. Hold on to your purchase for sometime and then buy something with lot of oomph, like a BMW.
I agree with Mayank. It ain't particularly wise to spend on a depreciating asset like a car if you don't have an immediate or pressing need for one. So taking from that thought, my preference in decreasing order would be as follows:

1. If you are willing to bide your time in order to get a significant upgrade and assuming you can up your budget in the meantime, a BMW might not be the worst option, after all. In fact, it is one heck of a proposition!

2. Jetta TDI for reasons well documented.

3. Although the Laura is a phenomenal car (I own one myself), I think you should keep it as your last alternative. Simply because the current version is nearing the end of its life cycle and a next gen car is around the corner - possibly even in the first quarter of 2013. Coming from the VW Group, I don't expect the dynamics of the new car to vary that much; so why not wait and see what's on the cards?

Unless the 1.8 TSI floors you to the point of blinding you out of logic and reason - which btw is quite likely. In that case my friend, you don't have much of a choice!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 19th November 2012 at 12:50.
Old 19th November 2012, 12:52   #29
BANNED

Quote:
While wifey is open to the idea of Harley as she would also like to learn how to ride a bike, I'm not yet convinced about the long term viability of this solution. Another downer is I don't have covered and secured parking area to keep an exotic bike.
Something like a Harley will give you the pleasure of having something fast, exotic and a very high end personal ride. I m sure you d be able to rent a garage/request on of your neighbors for some parking space as well.

If you want a fast all weather transport, it begins with the Laura VRS.

If I were you, I d pick up a VRS.
Old 19th November 2012, 15:19   #30
BHPian

Milcruncher - Like several others have commented before, I would side with having a VRS/regular TSI in your garage, since you already do have a diesel mill [read as getaway]. Besides great driving dynamics, its a great stress buster also.

Best - ML - Happy Hunting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks