Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2013, 23:26   #1
BHPian

New car in the range of 25lakh

Hi everyone. After a long hiatus of 7 years the time has come to shop for another beloved set of 4 wheels. The new car will be replacing my 1.9PD Skoda Laura pre-facelift model. I bought this car in 2007. Well this time again not looking to spend too much money on a car and hence staying close to the 25lakh price tag.
I have the Skoda Octavia and the VW Jetta in sight. I will list out my priorities
- Definitely a automatic
- Superb build quality inside out
- Definitely should not be a slouch. Has got to have power on tap
- You got it right, the next logical point would be handling and I am particular in this area. Willing to compromise on ride quality a bit
- Decently equipped. Not a fan of those fancy gizmos but the regular fare should do
- Reasonable service costs of around 10k per service
- Good reliability for at least a period of 7 years
- Should look elegant

Well i actually feel sorted and the Jetta should appear a clear winner here. But the Octavia is tempting as its a whole new model and fresher. Now I have made a strange inclusion of the Hyundai Santa Fe. Though it does not have the class leading dynamics its a SUV which my family members are happy about and the fact that Hyundai's service and spares are better than the German makes. What would you suggest?. I am waiting for the Auto Expo in 2014 . Should i consider any other car. Please do help.
Regards
Red's
Old 10th December 2013, 00:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

How about stepping into bmw, audi category?

29 lakh can get you a brand new 320d here with Gurgaon registration? That's the otr price after discounts.

With 3, your most of the requirements will be taken care of. Do check it out once.

Last edited by sameerg001 : 10th December 2013 at 00:56.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 01:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: New car in the range of 25lakh

If you're as particular about handling as you say you are, then you ought too look at the Jetta since the Octavia does not come with a multi-link suspension setup in its diesel avatar. I would infact bargain hard for the existing Laura you will get the same car as the Jetta, with slightly more kit and less boring styling, plus you will be saving loads of money.

If you like the Santa Fe, do consider the CRV, Pajero Sport, and if you don't need something that large, the Yeti.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 08:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001
How about stepping into bmw, audi category? 29 lakh can get you a brand new 320d here with Gurgaon registration? That's the otr price after discounts. With 3, your most of the requirements will be taken care of. Do check it out once.
Yes the 3 series is a tempting buy, but what i do get is the base stripped version . Well i am not a fan of that IDrive etc, but the car has to have xenons. This a priority for me as i am used to this lighting and i am not comfortable with halogens any more. Plus here in bangalore a base BMW would be around 30lakh+ .

Regards
Red's
Old 10th December 2013, 08:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan
If you're as particular about handling as you say you are, then you ought too look at the Jetta since the Octavia does not come with a multi-link suspension setup in its diesel avatar. I would infact bargain hard for the existing Laura you will get the same car as the Jetta, with slightly more kit and less boring styling, plus you will be saving loads of money. If you like the Santa Fe, do consider the CRV, Pajero Sport, and if you don't need something that large, the Yeti.
I had the same idea of upgrading to a Laura but my family is against buying of a phased out model. So Laura is out. The CRV is out since its a petrol and the Pajero bcos its a Mitsubushi and I dont want to risk the resale value of the car.

Regards
Red's
Old 10th December 2013, 09:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
So Laura is out. The CRV is out since its a petrol and the Pajero bcos its a Mitsubushi and I dont want to risk the resale value of the car.
Any reason why you are not considering a Fortuner...?
alabjarus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 10:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
Any reason why you are not considering a Fortuner...?
Actually this car would be for long touring trips and mostly weekend drives on highways. Considering the safety available on the Indian roads i decided the car has to be a German make, since I am very happy about how my Laura has performed on the highways. The Fortuner is a tempting buy but I am put off by its staid and boring looking interiors and the fact that it doesn't feel so luxurious at 27lakh. The auto box available on the Fortuner is slow and lethargic and I was of the idea of replacing my Figo 2 years down the line with a Terrano or a Ecosport. So i really dont wan to have 2 SUV's in my garage.

Regards
Red's
Old 10th December 2013, 10:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think you've got your choices down right. The Jetta and the Octavia do seem to be the pick of the lot at that price point. Personally, I'd go for the Octavia since it's newer and fresher, with not much to choose between them in looks. Perhaps the Superb can be a fly in the ointment for you and you could consider it. With some discounts, it could well be a great replacement for your Laura. The Octavia still has it beat on gizmos though, and since it's a brand new launch, it'll remain fresher for much longer than the Jetta or Superb.

Nice predicament to be in...good luck and keep us posted!
Old 10th December 2013, 10:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support - Thread closed. There are many such threads. Please use the search function before posting a new thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks